_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Weekend Wrap-Up ~ Oct. 15
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:06 AM UTC

Good Morning Model Shipwrights. It's Monday, October 15, 2007.
Fall is here and the cool weather has started to make its presence felt here in the marshland. It was a wonderful weekend here and I hope you had a pleasant weekend in your part of the world.

Let's take a look at what's new around MSW.

New Poll
Mark Smith (Gunny) has a new poll for us. Gunny would like to know how often we visit Model Shipwrights. Click on over and answer the poll question. It will only take a moment and it will help the staff tweak and improve the site.
Poll Question.

Photo Feature ~ C2 Transport
Peter Fulgoney’s (PFulgoney) beautiful C2 Transport Santa Anna is the subject of this MSW photo feature. This is another one of Peter’s wonderful 1/700 gems. Don’t forget to leave a comment!
C2 Transport Santa Anna.

Campaign Proposal
Jim Adams (goldenpony) is looking to launch a "Cold War Tin Cans Around the World" campaign for February 1, 2008. This is a great campaign idea that honors the sleek guardians of the fleet. We need 10 more enlistees to make this one official.
Campaign Sign Up.

Great White Fleet #155
Sean Ford (Fordboy) is here with installment #155 of the Great White Fleet documentary. This installment focuses on a tragedy at sea.
Installment 155.

Naval Tech ~ Spanish Navy Frigate
Mark Smith (Gunny) brings us the latest installment of Naval Tech. This time we get a tour of the Spanish Navy’s multi-purpose frigate Alvaro de Bazan (F101).
Naval Tech.

From the Expanded Sports Desk
A sincere apology to our crew mates across the ponds for only posting American sports. I’ve now included Rugby World Cup scores and standings. If there are other sports that you would like to see posted, please let me know. As far as our US mates, if there is a specific college team that you would like to add to the list, sound off.

Let’s take a look at this weekend in college football.
In the top 5…
No. 1 LSU loses in a 3 overtime thriller to a good Kentucky team 43-37.
Oregon State upsets No. 2 California 31-28.
No. 3 Ohio State rolls over Kent State 48-3.
No. 4 Boston College wins by two touchdowns over Notre Dame 27-14.
And upstart No. 5 South Florida mauls UCF 64-12.

The new AP poll looks like this…
1. Ohio State ~ 7-0
2. South Florida ~ 6-0
3. Boston College ~ 7-0
4. Oklahoma ~ 6-1
5. LSU ~ 6-1

And BCS rankings #1 are…
1. Ohio State ~ 7-0
2. South Florida ~ 6-0
3. Boston College ~ 7-0
4. LSU ~ 6-1
5. Oklahoma ~ 6-1

Elsewhere…
Alabama comes from behind to win over Ole Miss 27-24.
No. 20 Kansas pops Baylor 58-10.
Kansas State over Colorado 47-20.

Checking in on the military academies,
Navy wins in overtime against Pitt 48-45.
Central Michigan rolls past Army 47-23.
Air Force bombs Colorado State 45-21

And looking at alma maters
McNeese goes to 6-0 over Sam Houston State 31-21. Go Pokes!
Presbyterian rolls over VMI 45-21.

In MLB League Championship Series…
Colorado over Arizona 4-1. Colorado leads the series 3-0.
Cleveland over Boston 13-6. Series tied a 1-1.

In the Rugby World Cup…
England 14-9 over France
South Africa 37-13 over Argentina

Standings
Pool A
1. South Africa
2. England
3. Tonga
4. Samoa
5. US

Pool B
1. Australia
2. Fiji
3. Wales
4. Japan
5. Canada

Pool C
1. New Zealand
2. Scotland
3. Italy
4. Romania
5. Portugal

Pool D
1. Argentina
2. France
3. Ireland
4. Georgia
5. Namibia

Crewmate Sound Off
Now is the time in which you can share your news and views. Give us the poop on you latest builds and future projects. Share with us your weekend adventures. We all what to know what you did this weekend. So, sound off mates!

That's all for now from the news desk. Remember, if you can't get to your bench and build, at least you can talk about it.

Gator
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:53 AM UTC
First of all GO ROCKIES! 3-0 over the Phillies, 3-0 over the Diamondbacks, 20 of 21 wins. What a rush. 10 years I've lived here and this is the first time I've been able to really get into the baseball playoffs. Just one more game to get to the series. GO ROCKIES.

Got some work done on The Sullivans. Worked on the weapons, especially the 40mm twins. For each one I have to cut off the molded in rail at the rear of the mount, in order to replace with the P.E. rail. I haven't done it yet but I then I am supposed to put itty bitty gun sights and two seats onto each mount. Five mounts, four pieces of P.E. for each? I doubt I'll get them all done but we'll see.

BTW, GO ROCKIES!

I also worked on the radar on top of the gun director atop the bridge. That required three pieces of P.E. plus one piece of stretched sprue. Because the different rigs, 1943 and 1945, had different number of directors the kit includes 2 sets. I only needed one so I figured no problem. After getting everything folded I managed to sacrifice the P.E. base for the radar to the carpet monster. No problem, I've got a spare, right? Wrong! The same exact piece managed to wind up in my dogs coat. Either that or the carpet monster was particularly hungry. I have to use the molded in piece on the plastic part but so far, even using Gator Glue, I haven't been able to get it to stick properly. Why do I bother with P.E. again?

Did I mention GO ROCKIES!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 07:36 AM UTC
I finished off my "Yikes - Stripes" KIng tiger. Had to go up to Keiths store and use his Iwata, but I had some other buisness I needed to conduct in the area so I combined the trip. Tank came out well. Started in on an old M60a2 to continue adding to my Patton Tank collection. Great football weekend with Alabama winning and BOTH NOtre Dame and Dallas losing. HOw bout those KY Wildcats !!!! THey and Vanderbuilt have always been football laughing stocks in the SEC. I guess KY will be taken seriously from now on. Boy do I feel sorry for Auburn this weekend. Well not really but I do feel for Alabama as they Have Tennesse, LSU and AUburn to look forward to....Miss St may also be a severe challenge. Looks like they'll still manage a bowl his year.
 _GOTOTOP