_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
A Sea Story
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC
The following sea story is a true November Sierra, phonetically speaking.

I don't know how many of us have had the chance to ride out a storm at sea. During a NATO deployment to the North Atlantic/North Sea during the fall of 1991, I had the extreme pleasure to do such a thing. Since I had read a good deal on the Battle of the Atlantic I recall the sever storms that were mentioned taking place in that area of the world during the fall and winter months.

During our time at sea we had some decent weather. The temperatures were around 40F (4C) most of the time and the seas were running mostly between 10-15 feet(3-4.5m). The ride was rough, but it was easy to live with. Eating was the hardest activity to to. Sitting on the mess decks with the ship rocking and rolling made it hard to keep your tray from hitting the floor. It was also a little hard on your cup of coffee or milk. If you filled a cup it was soon all over your table and on the floor. But with some pointers from the “old salts” everyone adjusted to the ships motion and spills became a thing of the past.

We sailed during the Navies advancement testing period. I did not know I was able to take the test, so I did not bother to study for it, nor did I have all my requirements for the test done. However one week prior to the test I was asked by our engineering officer why I had not taken the military requirements test yet. I told him I was not taking the advancement test so that was why I had not taken the other. Needless to say I had to rush and get everything done so I could take the test next week. Test day came and it was one of the roughest days yet. Instead of nice smooth rolls we were taking short shaky rolls intermixed with some major walk on the walls rolls. Imagine taking an important test like this and your chair keeps sliding around the room.

But, that was not the worst of it yet. We refueled a few times with our regular US oiler and a couple of other times with a British oiler. Each time it was colder and the seas were rougher. The night we crossed the Arctic Circle we refueled with the British. This weather was the worst of the cruise thus far. Not only did we do this at night, but the seas had to be running well over 20 feet (6m) and it was close to or below freezing. Then when two ships get that close they create some serious waves on their own. All this meant somebody was going to get really wet that night. I was topside during the refueling, but my station was not used this night. I had to check our overboard discharge for any signs of fuel. The people on the after fueling station however were not so lucky. The were taking fuel, running samples, and watching the cables. Then the wave none of us wanted happened. I was checking our discharge over the side of the ship when it hit close to me. I jumped back and missed getting covered with water. The crew at the aft station was not so lucky. I heard some them yell over the sound powered phones and knew the had been covered. About ten men were soaked to the bones with seawater in freezing weather.

The big storm happened a few days later when we were leaving Bergen Norway. The ship was delayed in port and our captain was in a hurry to get to our next port in Germany. He had the ship running at flank 2(30knots) out of the fjord. We ran smack into a monster while moving way too fast. Needless to say it was not fun. The ship began to roll, buck, rock, and shake. We all knew it was bad outside, but we had no idea had bad it was going to get. Soon we felt the nose of the ship lurch upward, come down slightly, then go back up. Crashing, breaking, screaming, and sound of falling items sounded all over the ship. A violent shaking followed as the ship came down into the water. Then we heard the engines throttle way back and we began to crawl our way through the storm.

It wasn't until the next morning the full extent of the damage was discovered. We had lost several feet of railing on the forward section of the ship. The brass covers of the capstans were missing, these are big. There cracks all over the superstructure and above all of this the china in the ward room was all broken. One crack was in the top of a fuel tank that forms the bottom of a missile magazine. The helo hangar was effectively broken off the ship and was just sitting on board because it weighed so much. Several of the crew had cuts and bruises from falls. There was also a general messiness from things thrown from their shelves. Old salts claimed this was the worst storm they had been through. Several of the new guys were sick for a day afterward. The bridge crew reported green water over the bow. The rest of us have one heck of a story to pass along. And as they say about sea stories, you can tell its the truth because, I said so up front.

Note missing railing on the left hand side. Also the metal shield around the windlass controls bent.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing this story, Jim
I know all the feelings and sensations you just have described!

I really apreciated the time you spend writing it
Nice photos too - and risky to shoot them. I'll have to scan a couple of my own

Cheers,
Rui (aka Skipper)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 07:11 AM UTC
I was fortunate in my 2 Atlantic cruises. Back in the early 60's the Army used ship transport So I was on the USS Patch and I guess the Patton. We did it in the summer so other than being too cold to go out on deck, it was just routine rock and roll. I do remember on the way back though we had a day or so that it got pretty rough. They had barf bags lined up in all the little internal railings down the decks. Of course I was only 10 at the time, but it was quite an adventure to me.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hey all,

I'll stick with the mud ponders any day. We had a 13 hr flight to germany for reforger and I'll take that over the seas any day..........wildspears float as we'll as a rock...lol!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:15 PM UTC
Wow! My dad gets seasick on the Galveston, Tx ferry.

Gator
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:44 PM UTC
Sick Story!!! That must have been some storm to do that much damage. My sister would be sick from that even looking at it. She swears to this day never to go fishing, or out in a boat any more. Just Means more fish for me to catch .
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:39 PM UTC
That was a heck of a storm. The next day in Wilhelmshaven Germany we had to weld replacement railings on while we refueled. To do this we had to receive special permission from NATO command and COMNAVSURFLANT (Commander Navy Surface Forces Atlantic). So we fixed what we could then and waited until we got back home and fixed the rest.

When we did get back to Norfolk we had a few weeks to sit and do noting. Hurricane Grace almost made us head out to sea, but she turned north. Grace was part of the “Perfect Storm” that sank the Andrea Gail. But that is another potential story.

Welding the fuel tank closed was a pretty interesting feat. Originally they Navy wanted us to go to Yorktown and remove all the missiles, then defuel the forward tanks, then fill them back with water, and then weld the tank. Our HT1(Hull Technician First Class) said he could weld it after it was defueled and use two welding screens. We pumped the fuel out, filled the tanks with water, and he did it. All of the missiles were draped with heavy canvass and he used two weld screens around his work area. Saved a ton of money and a good deal of time.

I'll add some more when the bug bites me.

RickHeinbaugh
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 04:16 AM UTC
That's a great story, Jim.

And, oh, by the way, you just *happen* to work in a photo of the gun mount with the award painted up for four years in a row of getting the Gunnery award from your Cruiser/Destroyer Goup. Care to tell us which outstanding ship you were a member of?

Rick
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 06:29 AM UTC
Rick,
It was the USS Scott DDG995. The Kidd was our compitition for the Battle E and ship wide she kept beatig our butts, but engineering and the gunners kept coming out on top.

Jim

_GOTOTOP