_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Official "No Guns Allowed" Thread
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC
Ahoy Mates!

Here ye are, the "Official No Guns Allowed Campaign Thread"!

Use this thread to post updates and discussion of yer campaign builds entirely, or create yer own BLOG for your entry, (which I will make"sticky posts" so you can find them easier) and just post updated photo's of yer build here from time to time, to keep us all on track...it''s your choice, we'll try it this way this time, and if it's good, we'll stick to it!

Personally, I love to have all the builds together in one thread, just to keep the campaign spirit lively, and build our camaraderie in this fashion...but I'm all for change, and trying new things...so enough gabbing, lets see some models!

I've included a direct link to the campaign gallery, split into two seperate albums, one to host yer "in progress" shots, and the other for yer finished pics...

Keep Modeling,
~Gunny

No Guns Allowed Campaign Gallery

grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:23 AM UTC
hello Mark,
i am going to build a RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat as soon as i order it.and yes i know i have to do a bootstrap(what fun!!!).looking forward to seeing some of the builds.
cheers,
Bruce
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 05:13 AM UTC
Okaybee,

Here's my progress on the Engenstrasse. The Battlefleet kits practically fall together.

Gator
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 07:30 AM UTC
I have glued the hull halved together which they fit rather nicely. I was a little skeptical at first because I thought there would be considerable gaps since it seemed that the hull was warped, but as it turned out, it went together well. I removed all the railings to replace with photo etched rails and have sanded those areas smooth. Finding reference photos hasn't been easy. I did find a web page with numerous far-away shots with a very sparse sprinkling of deck shots and one shot that has been really useful. I have concerns over the crane booms. They just don't look right and without a really good image of one, I can't really tell if they're right or wrong.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 03:45 PM UTC
I'm doing the Glencoe Coast Guard Lifeboat. It is a 1/48 scale kit that, from what I can tell, is a re-release of an old ITC kit that could have been from the 50s, so it could be nearly as old as I am. This boat was nearly 37 feet long and self righting. Over 138 of them were built, and served until 1987.

The kit comes molded in a brown plastic, that I haven't tried cutting or sanding yet so I don't know what quality it is. Visible in the lower photo is one half of the two piece base that is molded to look like a large wave, with the boat perched on top. This should be a interesting display stand if I can paint it decently.

The first issue I will have to deal with is the kit has Coast Guard molded onto either bow in raised letters, that will have to be sanded off. Unfortunately the kit has no decals to replace it, so I'll have to try to make some.

The next issue is the molded openings in the hull, I believe these would be called scuppers. I at first thought I'd open them up, but I'm not sure the effort will be worth the results.

On the whole the kits is pretty flash free, with only a few pin marks. Those that are there though are really big and deep, and some are in spots where there is decking also molded on, so I may have to re-scribe some deck seams.

I have not begun construction yet but dry fitting the hul, deck, and display stand seem to indicate the fit should be decent.

On the whole this should be an easy build and should make a good addition to the display case.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

dry fitting the hul, deck, and display stand seem to indicate the fit should be decent

What was I saying? I think I've used a quarter of a bottle of Mr Dissolved Putty filling in seams and such.

This shows the bow area where I had to scrape off the molded in Coast Guard and is an example of the number seams filled.

Note the very large pin marks I had to fill on the fore and aft well decks.

This is a very fast build. I've already primed one side of her, but ran out of primer. I may even finish her next weekend.

My wife was surprised that I was modeling a Coast Guard boat, but I'm very glad I am. Those men and women are real heroes, and they deserve more recognition. Time permitting I may want to try and find a larger Coast Guard ship and model a second kit for this campaign.

grayghost666
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 02:25 PM UTC
hello all,
i just got my RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat kit.it is a 1/72 Airfix.it is nice and clean from what i have seen.i know i have to do a bootstrap this is going to be fun.i am doing a full hull.Mary,took it away untill i get my Grant done for the under new managment campaign.but i might do some work when she is in bed at night.
cheers to all,
Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:43 AM UTC
Aye mates,
Well, we're a little over two weeks into this campaign, so how 'bout it?
Sound off, tell us how your builds are (or not! ) coming along!!
grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aye mates,
Well, we're a little over two weeks into this campaign, so how 'bout it?
Sound off, tell us how your builds are (or not! ) coming along!!

Hello Mark,
got the ship,ordered the paint.can not start untill the grant is done.will let you know what happens by next weekend.
cheers,
Bruce
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:09 PM UTC
I've looked at the Airfix 1/72 RNLI lifeboat kit many times. Each time I find something more to worry about.. Soft detail etc... So I'm going to go for an OOB kit!

Well... Probably!

If ever I saw a worthy kit screaming for after maket stuff, this is it!

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:07 PM UTC
I'm hoping to get to the Ergenstrasse tomorrow. Unfortunately, after two decades of working with my hands, arthritis has reared it's ugly head this week. Hurts to bend my fingers this weekend.

Gator
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hi All,

I have the C3 hull all laminated and sanded down. Now I have to polish the hull and lay on the deck. Photo coming soon.
grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've looked at the Airfix 1/72 RNLI lifeboat kit many times. Each time I find something more to worry about.. Soft detail etc... So I'm going to go for an OOB kit!

Well... Probably!

If ever I saw a worthy kit screaming for after maket stuff, this is it!

hello Murdo,
i have the airfix kit.looks o.k. to me,but i have not done a ship before.what problems are you talking about.
cheers,
Bruce
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm hoping to get to the Ergenstrasse tomorrow. Unfortunately, after two decades of working with my hands, arthritis has reared it's ugly head this week. Hurts to bend my fingers this weekend.

Gator

I've got one word for you Kenny, Ibuprofen. Works for me.

I painted the lifeboat today, white upper and hull red lower. Unfortunately the red leaked thru the masking tape and now the while part has a lo of red all over it. I'll have to remask the red and repaint the white. Not much else left to do to her once painted. Just need to work on the details and weathering.

Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 05:36 PM UTC
Hi All,

Well I have the new deck on and polished.

MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:36 PM UTC
Mine will be after Christmas, maybe later as I'm still pulling together ideas. In any case it will be one of Harry's Hog islanders, either interwar or early WW2 whilst the US was neutral, in any case will hopefully be something colourful as a break from all the grey.

Cheers
Mike
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
A little quiet here on the campaign front, mates...tis the season, for sure, but don't lose site of your builds, and the deadlines!!!

So sound off, how are the "No Guns Allowed" entry's coming along?
grayghost666
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 08:24 AM UTC
hello Mark,
paint is on the way,cast is off so i can paint now.the grant will be finshed by the weekend.the lifeboat will be started by Monday.
hope all is well with you and yours.
cheers,
Bruce
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 08:54 AM UTC
I've removed the molded railings on the Savannah, glued the hull halves together, started filling the sink holes and sanding the pin marks. I'll be ordering some PE rails soon and get started on those. I've been wondering if WEM's deck green would work for the Savannah's deck. In the few photos of are available, I've noted that the deck at times it appears as an almost faded olive color and in others, a very dark green. The dark green deck makes me wonder if those were not color enhanced photos. The olive colored deck came from a photo that appeared in National Geographic.

Any thoughts?
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 02:37 PM UTC
Next up on the Ergenstrasse is the ship's booms.

Gator
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC
I know this may not be the right thread to use but it does deal with my build. Does any one have some spare us navy railing and door in 1/400 that I could buy? I have some but I need a bit more for my build.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 07:35 PM UTC
Just so you all know I'm not just watching football. This is what I have done to the deck of the USS Consolation (SS Hope) so far;

As you can see I've been having quite alot of fun with injecter marks and sink holes. Also I'm trying my hand at making a wood deck.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC
Nice progress so far Frank.

Gator
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hey all,

I don't know the right terms and all but, The nets that go around the helicopter pads on a ship, can those be lowered and raised? The reason I ask is I saw a pic of the USS Haven with the net raised (looked like railing) Then in another pic it was lowered (looked like 30 deg). Any help would be great.
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

The nets were in the down position when the helicopter deck was in operation and up when the helicopter was stored.

TomsModelsworks make some netting, so you might take a look.
 _GOTOTOP