_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
APPROVED! "Cold War Tin Cans"
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:57 PM UTC
Ahoy Mates!

As your Campaign Administrator, I hereby declare this campaign APPROVED!!!! So start yer research, mates, February 1st is right around the bend!

Campaign Mainpage

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 01:40 AM UTC

This was a tough one to get aproved!!
Skipper
HippityHop
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 181 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hooray!!!! I thought this would never get approved.

I've already started getting some research material together - navel destroyers a long way away from my usual cavalry subjects.

I'm hoping to start off with the old/ ancient Airfix HMS Daring - no doubt packed to the gills with tonnes of WEM PE.

I'm really looking forward to this...

Cheers

Karol

Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 05:13 AM UTC
I found a very nice HMS Type 21 Frigate(F185 Avenger), to build.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 07:16 AM UTC
hello Jim,
in my research of the two trumpiter chinese destroyers i found this out.the ZHUHAI was laide down in 1988, launched in 1990,and commissioned in oct.1991.my source is janes fighting ships 1999-2000.i know that we talked and the ZHUHAI was disqualifty,but now she is just under the stop time,so can i build her for the campaign.if not that's o.k.
cheers to all,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
As long as she was comissioned before 1992 its OK.

I am glad this is a go. Now lets all go out there and build the heck out of em!

grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As long as she was comissioned before 1992 its OK.

I am glad this is a go. Now lets all go out there and build the heck out of em!

hello Jim,
thank you,she the only one built so i can not use her in the sisters campaign.
cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 01:04 PM UTC
Bruce,
I am glad that worked out for you. Hey, you gave me another idea for another campaign, Orphans. Ships that were the only ones in thier class. It might be a stretch to find enough ships for that one.

I like the fact we are getting many different countries represented. You are China, I am going with a German Destoryer, and I think another person for sure is going with a British ship.

grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 01:45 PM UTC
hello Jim,
have fun with the new campaign idea.the tin can campaign starts in feb.,right.
cheers,
Bruce
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 02:57 PM UTC
Put me down for the USS Hoel DDG13. I'm going to use Dragon's Charles F. Adams kit.

Gator
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Model Shipwrights: 185 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 09:20 AM UTC
I didn't even realize that this campaign was forming! I've been looking for an excuse to build my USS Fletcher (DD992). I was actually contemplating starting a campaign so for destroyers so I would do just that. Now, I don't have to! Thanks.

Jim
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 09:38 AM UTC
Jim

Welcome!

Remember to check your references for the correct layout of the Fletcher. The Navy was converting ships right and left starting in 1990. Our campaign goes to 1992.

Can't wait to see her when she is done.

Gator,
you might not be alone in building an DDG2 class ship. I can't decide weather to go with one fo those or a resin kit for my German DD.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't even realize that this campaign was forming! I've been looking for an excuse to build my USS Fletcher (DD992). I was actually contemplating starting a campaign so for destroyers so I would do just that. Now, I don't have to! Thanks.

Jim

Well now, first off, Welcome to Model Shipwrights, Jim, and secondly, welcome aboard the campaign as well....it's very refreshing to see the new names added to our roster, and participating in a campaign is a great way to make better friendships, as well as build a ship model together!

I'll be seeing ya, mate..........
~Gunny
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:13 PM UTC
Jim,

Nothing like a challenge! Right? I'm aming for late 1980s refit. Wish me luck. I think I'm going to need it. I've got the Arii 1/700 kit. Any idea what era that kit represents?

Mark,

Thanks, great to be here. Usually hang out over on Model Geek or Armorama. Actually I have a campaign i the works over there for semi trucks. Want to join? My Arii Fletcher has been hanging out in my stash since abut 1998. A friend of mine gave it to me, and I've yet to do anything with it.

Jim
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 01:01 PM UTC
Jim,
The kits has the VLS system forwad instead of an ASROC launcher. But the paint scheme is black and grey, which is pre-92. I am going to do some more digging to see f I can find when they switched the Fletcher to VLS.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 01:08 PM UTC
Fletcher Page

Jim,
take a look at this page. There are some good pictures of the ship. It looks like she get her VLS system sometime after 91. But if you are going for a 1980's ship you will just need another ASROC launcher. Not sure who makes one of those in 1/700.

jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 02:16 PM UTC
Jim,

I actually found that site earlier in my research when I hought about bulding the Fletcher a couple of years ago. The good thing is the kit comes with the ASROC launcher & the VLS. They just don't tell you what it is!

I was on that site earlier today on my work computer, and none of the pics loaded. I'm on a different computer now and they work fine. Must be my firewall or something.

Thanks for the help. This will be my first 1/700 ship, and in a way I'm looking forward to it. I have the Flagship Models photoetch for it too, so this should be interesting!

Jim
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 07:10 AM UTC
Well, I have made progress for this campaign, I ordered my Zerstöer Schleswig-Holstein D182 (1985 config) today. It’s the 1/700 ship by Admirality. The review from here made it look like a nice kit and I wanted to do something different.

Now all I need to do is get the AM items for the Scott for the Forgotten Sisters.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
Well, my Schleswig Holstein kit arrived today. It is going to be my first resin kit so I am both thrilled and scared to start it. But the detail is great and everything looks like it is in very nice shape. There is some flash on some of the small resin parts, but the hull looks to be fantastic shape with no holes.

One thing that surprised me is how small everything is, but how well the detail is done. The guys at Admiralty Model Works know their stuff. I cannot wait until February to get started. Now all I need to an easy way to make water and I will be all set.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now all I need to an easy way to make water and I will be all set.

Take your pic:
Techniques Features

There are three features on how to make water bases. Mike Taylor, Kenny Loup's and mine. Read, see which one you're more confortable with, try it and then your set to go.
Hope this helps
Skipper
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Now all I need to an easy way to make water and I will be all set.

Take your pic:
Techniques Features

There are three features on how to make water bases. Mike Taylor, Kenny Loup's and mine. Read, see which one you're more confortable with, try it and then your set to go.
Hope this helps
Skipper

I read those and plan to give each of them a try and see which one works best for me. I have some scrap ply wood at home just waiting to be tunred into some ocean. I figure if I try out a few different ways now so I don't mess it up later on.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:48 AM UTC
I look forward to this build... never done modern "stuff"... I got the 2 Dragon Premium kits I ordered. 1:700 (HMS York and USS Charles Adams)... the PE fret is soo small and dainty! I need some practice before I tackle them (one reason I got TWO and they were on sale!).

Most of my "research" has actually need geared towards technical issues (kit building that is, including using PE), maybe I will practice with the Tamiya 350 Fletcher first.

Cheers, happy Thanksgiving to those on my side of the pond!~ Jim
Begarb
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hey guys,

First post...I am in with a Dealey DE...is that acceptible? Started the research, looking forward to the build in Feb.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC
Yes, the USS Dealey is fine for this campaign.

Welcome aboard!!

Removed by original poster on 12/22/07 - 04:14:51 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP