_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
EVENT
Veterans Day 2007
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Tomorrow, November 11, we take time to remember and thank those who chose to defend our great country. We also take time to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice to defend freedom. While this day is an American holiday, we, as members of the Kit Maker Network, also should remember and thank our fellow board members who served their country too. Our freedom is dependent on these brave souls.

I am proud to call several veterans and sons of veterans friend. Whether you served in war or peace, I salute you. So, while we take time to relax from the hustle of the work week tomorrow, remember to honor the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coasties who are put it on the line everyday.

Below is a link to the Military Channel where they have posted videos of veteran's stories who are or have been on the front line.
Link to Item

Also, if your celebration involves kicking back with the annual Veterans Day movie marathon, here's a list of what is on American Movie Classics tomorrow and Monday.

Sunday
6:00 AM An American Guerrilla in the Philippines (1950)
8:15 AM The Caine Mutiny (1954)
11:00 AM Bataan (1943)
1:30 PM Back to Bataan (1945)
3:30 PM Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
5:30 PM Hamburger Hill (1987)
8:00 PM The Great Raid (2005)
Monday
6:00 AM Submarine Seahawk (1959)
7:45 AM The Purple Heart (1944)
9:45 AM D-Day, the Sixth of June (1956)
12:00 PM Von Ryan's Express (1965)

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 08:09 AM UTC
When I lived in Alabama, the reserve unit I was in marched in the annual parade every year. It was mandatory, no execuses. If it was on a Wednesday ...too bad, take a sick day at work You pretty much had to be in the hospital to avoid it. You would have to go in person to see the Major General to plead a case for missing it. If it rained, freezing cold either. it did not matter. We weren't allowed to wear gloves, but I got clever and got a hold of some clear surgical gloves. Believe me those tight plastic gloves definitely helped. Man I used to hate Veteran's day with a bloody blue passion. At first, it wasn't quite as bad. We were among the first 5 units through and no horses ever before us, but in later years we dropped back into the teens ad there were "land mines" all over the place ....mess up those nice spit shined shoes..we had to wear grrens, no raincoats or gloves, saucer hats.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 12:14 AM UTC
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 06:13 AM UTC
I have spent my time in service and have also spent some time with bullets flying over my head. So to all the guys and gals out there that serve Thank You!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 07:37 AM UTC
I grew up as a child of the sixties. My father was an Army Sugeon. The disrespect he garnered in the late 60's early 70's appalled me. I served active duty upon graduation from VMI. We didn't have any bullets flying, but we kept the Soviets out of western Europe and stood up to their bluff. I am proud of this country for its current reaction and treatment of the vets. Here in Dallas, they have a group of folks that come out every day to DFW just walking around and thanking any person in the service of our country. I also love it that many of the talk news shows on TV also honor veterans. Hail to all who have served before and those that continue the tradition no matter what branch of service they are in.
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
Bless you.. for all who served and all the ones that were left behind.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:52 AM UTC
Biggest highlight of my modeling exploits was meeting and chatting with Tex Hill.

Thank you to all the veterans.

Gator
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 05:34 AM UTC
Lest We Forget
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hello
My Grandfather served in the WWI & was badly wounded. My father done his National service in the 50's. I have only served time with the TA ( Territorial Army ) so I got off lightly.
I still watch the on TV the wreath laying by the Queen at the cenotaph every year & when every possible I watch the Veterans lay there wreaths at are local memorial ( with a tear in the corner of my eyes).
The Royal British Legion Poppy collection is the Only Charity I will give to freely & without hesitation because with out the sacrifices that the members of all the armed services made this world would be a far less stable place to live.
We should remember all the veterens with Pride & Respect. They served there country without question.
Graywolfgang
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 303 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 03:33 PM UTC
I was going through some pictures of my Dad taken in WWII.. My father was working for Higgens Shipyard in New Orleans, Louisiana when he goot his draft notice to the Army.. He was the Yard Forman.. Mr Higgens got him in the Navy as a Secound Class Petty Officer, that was right out of Basic training.. He made First Class shortly after.. Thies Pictures wear taken in Honollo and abord PC 487 [ Partol Craft ] and Seattle Washington..

The first picture: Dress Whites , Dress Blues, and then work uniform..

Second picture: Top pic left side he is in senter with beard..
Bottom Left pic: Kill mark which is explained latter..

Third picture: Just more pictures of the crew of PC 487..

Forth and Fifth Pictures: Forth picture is in Seattle Wasington and fifth picture explains the Forth.. Top with Top, and Bottom goes with Bottom
Just thought I would share them with yall.. My Dad turned 97 the other day, Nov.20...

_GOTOTOP