_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Road rage
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 07:39 AM UTC
AOL had an article about the worst 5 cities for road rage. I figured LA, NYC, DFW, CHI, and BOS. Miami was number 1 and of course LA, NYC and Boston made list. Washington DC was the other in top 5. Now I've driven in 18 states throughout country and seen the driving in Boston, NYC and DC. But I always thought Dallas would be right up there in the middle of all of those. We jokingly refer to it as "Combat driving" Imagine my shock when scrolling further down and reading the 5 most courteous cities to drive in to see DFW ranked as #5 in that poll. Makes me wonder where they were gathering the data for this ranking. It sure wasn't in the areas I had been driving in
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 08:42 AM UTC
You never know where they get their information fro a list like that. I didn't find Chicago all that bad when compared to other areas. Atlanta can be a pain at times, but I drive my truck when I go down there and people get out of my way. Only drove in Miami once and that was enough. I think it might be all the Cubans down there or something.

I like my own little corner of Georgia once tourist season is over, it is easy to get around.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 09:29 AM UTC
I can honestly say, any place I'm driving is the worse.
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:01 PM UTC
I live in the country so it isn't all that bad... I hate driving in the city
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 03:08 PM UTC
I drove in LA/Orange County for a week in June, and it just reinforced one reason I moved to Colorado Springs. Not that the drivers here are great, they just haven't taken it to the nth degree like in La La land.

I agree with Dave though, any place I drive has the worst drivers. First thing we have to do is confiscate the drivers license of every jerk who is talking on their cell phone, texting, reading, eating, etc, while supposedly driving. Then we go after the people who think that because they own a SUV roughly the size of a King Tiger they own the road. Then those people who when it snows either go 15 miles and hour, or 70 miles an hour. Both are equally bad.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC
Rodger, when I become King, I'll appoint you my road rules enforcer

We are passing laws down here in the DFW area about cell phone talking. Right now it is around school zones. Total ban on their use in designated school zones. it's only a small step to get traffic fines for those folks doing it on the highway.

The ice and snow rule....I would think that most of the people in your area would be pretty good. Down here it is a nightmare, but then again I remember passing over a bridge one day and seeing 8 wrecked cars off to the side and watching #9 , a pickup go ripping past me and then slamming into the wall after a 180 spin....YEE-HAW
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would think that most of the people in your area would be pretty good.

HA! You have to realize that the vast majority of people who live here now moved from some place else, primarily Texas and California. It also doesn't snow here nearly as often as people think. Finally your statement pre-supposes that people actually use their brains, which I think we all know is false.

grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
hello Rodger,
Yes,i drive 15-25 mph when it snows here in the springs.the reason i do that is,people think that having snow tires and 4 wheel drive that it is just like driving in the summer.where you here when the blizzard hit in the 90's.i was working graveryard shift and trapped in the store for 2+ days.i saw lots of people try to drive on the streets and get stuck.the most fun was watching a cop do 3 360's and slam into the traffic pole.people come from other states,and when it snows think it is like a rain storm when they drive.after it stoped snowing i saw alot of people sking down the streets,and 1 guy had a dogsled team out going down platt heading towards downtown.
cheers,
Bruce
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 09:36 AM UTC
Maybe one reason Dallas didn't make the worst list is due to law enforcement. If you flip someone off or do other more violent things the cops will nail you with a big hefty fine. Several years back I had a guy come up behind me in heavy traffic, (I was in a line of cars running 65 in a 65 zone) start the light flashing and honking. I tried ignoring him. He fnally found a way around, came up next to me, flipped me off, then tossed his coffee cup at me. A quick call on my cell phone and 4 miles down the road they nailed him.

Europe, Germany especially, has harsh laws for road ragers. I figured it out 10 years ago, that traffic ws going to always be a pain when you worked day shift and just madesure I had plenty of leeway. Sure I got to work 20 minutes or so early, but ehn I just sat in the breakroom and had a cup of coffee. Calm, peaceful, and non-stressed
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 06:17 PM UTC
I have been working night shifts (as a truck driver) for what, 5 or 6 years now, and every time I have to drive my car during the daylight hours I thank my lucky stars that I do... Traffic has become not so much a circus, but more of a freakshow. There is so much bad driving, it really makes you wonder what it takes to fail the driving test.
Even so, I recently worked on 'inter depot' trunk work, and even at night, the main roads are busy now, and full of idiots.... So when I was offered a job back on farm collections, I jumped at it.
Most driving is down the country lanes, and there is hardly any traffic.. the few people out soon learn to give way to those 'b*****y big lorries' that come down their way every other night..

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 06:23 AM UTC
The little bit I drive into New Orleans before going the back way to Children's Hospital drives me nuts. I'm so glad I live in SWLA. The only time I ever got frustrated with the traffic here was after Rita with all the out of town contractors thinking it was Houston and driving like idiots.

Gator
Graywolfgang
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 303 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 03:05 PM UTC
Don’t you know the people in New Orleans get their Drivers licenses from the Cracker Jacks Box..
 _GOTOTOP