_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Carrier Deck Paint Color/s?
Lionheart
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 02:45 PM UTC
What acrylic colors should I use to get a good looking tarmack for any carrier kit? The only reason I gave up doing carriers years ago is because I couldn't paint the deck properly (no internet for help back then).
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 09:13 PM UTC
Lionheart:
Depends on the type of carrier you are building.. I have seen some people paint the deck dark gray to almost black for the modern carriers.to almost a gray green color of the older ones. will try to post a couple links here for your referance to help.
1) USS Hornet http://www.modelwarships.com/gallery/cv/cv-08/350-pvb/hornet_11.jpg
2) USS Enterprise http://www.modelwarships.com/gallery/cv/cvn-65/400-kq/cvn-65-015.jpg

Hope this worked and hope these help you out..
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 08:01 PM UTC
middle to late WW2 carriers used deck blue, but this faded quickly from the pounding they got from planes so I would paint them wood tan and then overspray with deck blue to show the wear and tear from the takeoffs and especially the landings (rubbing of trap wires) modern day is pretty much a medium gray color...haven't done too much research yet but will if I can ever pick up a reasonably priced 1:350 Enterprise
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC
Modern carriers decks are a very dark grey. For my Big E, I plan to use Model Master Navy Grey or Euro Gray for the flight deck.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
thanks nimitzfan. just ordered an Enterprise kit today saves a little reseach....now to get that hanger deck kit and have you seen the white ensign models sets for her wooooooooyeeeee.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
Congrats Blaster on the new purchase. I know you'll enjoy her. The PE set you mention is one of the most complete ones out there. Hope you get her going soon and will share some pics of her
 _GOTOTOP