_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
Building the R.M.S. Mauretania
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:07 PM UTC
Jim Baumann shares the complete build story of this years show stopper at Telford, enjoy now, "Building the R.M.S. Mauretania, (1907-1935)"

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks Jim!
~Gunny
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:17 AM UTC
Very impressive model, and article.
Thanks, enjoyed it 100%
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 02:27 PM UTC
Beautiful work Jim. I would like to try the Olympic using my 1/600 Titanic kit. Where can I find the camo sheet for the Olympic?

Gator
Mauretania1906
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 04:37 PM UTC
Hi All,

Glad you enjoyed the article. Happy to be a new member here. I do see two errors I made in captioning the photographs. The prop photo was taken while she was in the Floating Drydock at Southampton, not the Canada Graving Dock and the color cruise slide was likely taken in 1923, not 1925.

Best,
Eric Longo
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,

Glad you enjoyed the article. Happy to be a new member here. I do see two errors I made in captioning the photographs. The prop photo was taken while she was in the Floating Drydock at Southampton, not the Canada Graving Dock and the color cruise slide was likely taken in 1923, not 1925.

Best,
Eric Longo

Welcome to Model Shipwrights, Eric!

I can see what I can do about re-captioning the photos in question, my friend, (photoshop is a wonderful thing!), and here's to seeing you about the site more in the future, mate!!

Cheers,
~Mark
Mauretania1906
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:14 PM UTC
Hi Mark!

Many thanks. You kind efforts are most appreciated. It means a lot to me.
I might mention today marks the hundredth anniversary of a rather nasty accident involving Mauretania in N.Y. Harbor. I can provide a link to a small piece I wrote with rare unpublished photographs and diagrams if anyone is interested.

Again, many thanks,

Eric
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:35 AM UTC
Most definitely interested, mate............
Mauretania1906
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi Mark

This little piece has a unique photograph from my collection taken the day before the accident and a diagram as well as other photographs. Here you go:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/6937/118237.html?1198400419

Enjoy!
Eric
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark

This little piece has a unique photograph from my collection taken the day before the accident and a diagram as well as other photographs. Here you go:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/6937/118237.html?1198400419

Enjoy!
Eric

Thanks for sharing, Eric, great piece!

And if you wish, you can share information like this with us here in the "Chartroom" section of our Forums, our history, research and developement area... Chartroom Forum host Kenny Loup will love to have you in discussions, I'm sure!!

Cheers,
~Mark
Mauretania1906
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hi Mark

I'll be happy to! Very glad you liked the piece. It was only her second arrival in NY - she grounded herself before even leaving Liverpool and then had this trouble as well! Captain Olsen of the Eureka barge had a close call!

Best,
Eric
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to anything you can add to Model Shipwrights, Eric.

Gator
Mauretania1906
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi Mark, Gator

Many thanks to Mark for executing some corrections to my article! His time is appreciated as much as his interest in accuracy.
Gator, I'll get a few articles of interest together and send them along. While preparing one I found a 102 year old lady who actually witnessed the Mauretania leaving Tynemouth for her official trials on October 22, 1907. This was her earliest memory. Unfortunately, the lady died mid-article so I dedicated the work to her. There are many photographs included that have been unseen for 100 years. Another is a sequential series of launch images from September 20th, 1906 including some unpublished as well. I look forwarding to contributing whatever I can that is of interest.

Here is a link to an image I just completed restoring (acceleration should be set to low to see full quality):

http://www.geocities.com/magikbilly/MBerth108restorationJune1933.EKL2007.jpg

Best and thanks again,
Eric
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark, Gator

Many thanks to Mark for executing some corrections to my article! His time is appreciated as much as his interest in accuracy.
Gator, I'll get a few articles of interest together and send them along. While preparing one I found a 102 year old lady who actually witnessed the Mauretania leaving Tynemouth for her official trials on October 22, 1907. This was her earliest memory. Unfortunatley, the lady died mid-article so I dedicated the work to her. There are many photographs included that have been unseen for 100 years. Another is a sequential series of launch images from September 20th, 1906 including some unpublished as well. I look forwarding to contributing whatever I can that is of interest.

Here is a link to an image I just completed restoring (acceleration should be set to low to see full quality):

http://www.geocities.com/magikbilly/MBerth108restorationJune1933.EKL2007.jpg

Best and thanks again,
Eric

No problem, Eric!
My pleasure, actually!

You can send off any and all submissions right here, my friend...looking forward to working with your material in the future!

Cheers,
~Mark
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC
there are all those "having fun" kind of comments here on MSW... really, I have to ask Jim someday if he thinks he really has fun when he did all those additional boats... i know i wouldn't -but in the end what a totally handsome model, a show stopper if there is one.
And the concise writing and ultra accurate pictures Jim takes for his articles should be a model for us all!

_GOTOTOP