_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
On the Wings of Eagles, slightly Off Topic
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 01:08 PM UTC
I've been working on my USS ARIZONA for the campaign and I kept thinking about this old movie, On the Wings of Eagles. It stars John Wayne as a naval aviator who breaks his back and has to switch to being a writer. I kept thinking of it because there is one character, a sailor, who keeps on trying to make his way back to the fleet, especially to be assigned to "the Ole' Arizona." He finally makes it back, just in time for Pearl Harbor.

As luck would have it the movie is showing right now on TCM. Now I can watch it while working away. The movie reminds me of all the men still on the 'Ole Arizona.' I think that is something important to keep in my while making this model.

Anchors Aweigh.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 12:02 AM UTC
There are a couple of Magnum PI shows that deal with the Arizona as well. Quite a few of the survivors have their ashes put there when they die
Flangehead
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 11:18 PM UTC
Interestingly enough, "on the Wings of Eagles" is the title of the auotobiography of Kirokoshi Jiro-san, the "father" of the A5M "Claude" and A6m family of Reisen "Zero-san" fighters. A humble aeronautical engineer for the Mitsubishi Co. The book itself is "oop" - but it's a pretty good read if you get the chance.

Mark
 _GOTOTOP