_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Related
Site related feedback, issues, or suggestions.
suggestion
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 03:12 PM UTC
hello Mark and Rui,
I have noticed that we are getting some new modelers showing up here. As you know I just got back into modeling about 16 months ago, and have just started to do Ship models. Everyone here has been helpful and patient with my questions, which I am thankful for.

So here is my suggestion to make Model Shipwright an easier site for the beginner or some one coming back to Ship modeling after years away.
Why don't we start a Mentoring program by linking up the Plankowners and the newbies together. All the Plankowners need to do, after being assigned a newbie, is to check every day the newbie's posts, give help and encouragement, and feedback to his assigned newbie. This way the newbie will get a personal touch, and after gaining experience can be a mentor to some one else.

If I had not found Armorama and Model Shipwright site, I would have probably quit modeling again, as I was not getting good or constructive feedback from the other sites and then they all basically told me to go away.

I would hate to see a newbie get discouraged and give up modeling.
So what are your or anyone else's thoughts on my suggestion?
cheers,
Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:28 PM UTC
Interesting suggestion, for sure...IMHO, you're not going to find a more friendly and helpful membership at any other ship modeling forum, which is one of the key elements to any successful operation...we all try to help each other out, because nobody knows all the answers, and there is always something new to learn in this wonderful hobby that we all share...

Guidance and encouragement are two important points to remember when dealing with new modelers, and these details can either make or break someone's desire to continue...and a mentor program is something that can be instilled at MSW, and as our user base grows, could blossom into something very good...but in order to accomplish this task, I would need a group of designated volunteers from our members.

We can take the opportunity now to discuss this idea, gather a data-base of members who would be willing to dedicate their time and energy, and develop a sound game plan for the idea...personally, I make it a constant goal to encourage all modelers, at this site as well as other areas, because without the following generations carrying on with the hobby, the art will soon be lost...food for thought, most definitely.......................
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC
hello Mark,
I will be willing to help in any way possible.I have a limited knowledge of ship building,but i am learning something new every day.and every month i am buying new books on mastering the craft of model building.as for encouragement,i will cheer anyone on.
cheers,
Bruce
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 03:50 PM UTC
This is a very interesting concept. I like it.

Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 04:48 PM UTC
Pretty good concept. However, I think we all have shouldered that responsibility without "assigning" someone specific. We all have our strenghts and ways of doing things and I think the multi=faceted approach we are currently doing is extremely successful.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi Bruce

I have found your tutoring idea interesting, but I must agree with others when they say that we are friendly enough and sharing ideas, helping others, independent of skill level shouldn't be a task for only one member
If a newbie (or not) post a question, severall different aproaches and ways of solving the issue will be posted, sometimes even by another newbie!

Skipper
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC
I would like a mentor type person to post a short video on how you make the waves when you make a water base........Yes skipper I'm going to take the big jump, a 1/700 build, waterline, waterbase. Should be a great time.
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:23 AM UTC
hello all,
i have read and thought about all of the reply that have been posted. yes a multi-facted approach has worked here at the site. but all things must continue to evolve,including this site. i am not saying that every newbie should have an assigned menitor.what i wanted to say was this: all of the experience modelers might want to troll the posted questions, because the info given might, repeat, might be wrong. you could have tried the same way years back and found out it did not work. Here is a prime example for what i am trying to say:
Wayne(CB1000h) asked a question about a problem he was having with some P.E. ladders. i was the only one who answered his post.not having done P.E. for ships,i told him to email who he bought them from.that was not a answer,but the best i could do. all i was thinking about was have the "Plank-owners" give a little time and encouragement to the new modelers. and also to make sure that the answering post are accurate as possible.there is nothing more frustrating for a new builder to ask a question,receives an answer,then find it it was wrong and you just destroyed a $50.00 kit.
i thank all of you who have thought about this post,and will hope that all of us will become better builders and teachers because of this post.for myself i can only say,i will do the best i can to all of us,us happy few, we band of modelers.
cheers to all,
Bruce
P.S. Yes,i am the guy that has to hit the hornet nest,just to see what happens
 _GOTOTOP