_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Goldenpony's Forgotten Sisters Build
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 03:01 AM UTC
Since it is time to start, I figured I would kick things off. Here is the start of my build on the Admiralty Model Works kit of the Schleswig Holstein D182. The ship is that after she came out of her 1985 refit. There were four ships built in the Hamburg class, Type 101A, the Holstein being ship number 2.

I will be posting pictures of the build as I get them done. I will be posting updates weekly on a minimum, but hopefully more often than that.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 03:50 AM UTC
way back when I was planning to do a Tuscaloosa from the 350 scale San Francisco kit. But as Trumpeter decided to hold it back until February or so, I may not be able to play. Hopefully when the kit is released they will have fixed some of the errors that were found and pointed out with their pre-production showing. I could do the Yukikaze kit. It is a member of the Kagero class DD's. HOwever, it is the most famous of the bunch being how in an 18 ship class, it was the only one that didn't get sunk
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:43 AM UTC
I actually got some time to do some building on my ship. The kit is put together rather well and it looks great. I have never built a resin kit of this scale before so I am a little worried about some of the finer detailed parts, but I am sure I can get things done.

I added the main guns and funnels last night. I still have to get railings and the paints for her. Some of the smaller parts had flash on them, but it flaked away no problem. The base of the hull is a little rough, but after I add the water base that will go away.

wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 01:37 AM UTC
Jim,
Great looking ship you have there. Nice to here that your not have any problems with the build. What scale did you say that was....1/700? Can't wait to see more of her. When you do get to the smaller details, the only advice I can give is to drink less coffee....all that shaking can give you some weird paint lines.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 01:39 AM UTC
Looking good so far Jim.

Gator
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,
Great looking ship you have there. Nice to here that your not have any problems with the build. What scale did you say that was....1/700? Can't wait to see more of her. When you do get to the smaller details, the only advice I can give is to drink less coffee....all that shaking can give you some weird paint lines.

Yes, 1/700. I've never built one that small and never a resin one of that scale. I ordered teh paints and railings today, but found out the railings are out of stock.

Oh well, guess somebody else will have them. I also found a picture fo the ship with somethign special, her "Blue Nose". So, I plan to add that little extra as well.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi Jim

For the waterline flash and other parts similar flash I suggest the following procedure:
Wet a sheet of sander paper 1000 grit, place it on a wet flat base (kitchen marble bench is a great surface) and make eight figures with the parts, gently and checking it after 2 or 3 eight runs...This way you will get the flash off and keep a even surface, and also you don't breathe any of the dangerous resin dust

It is looking good indeed, and dont forget to paint it in sub-assemblies (much easier and you'll be able to paint all those hidden places) - hope this helps
Keep up

Skipper
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC
hello Jim,
looking good.
cheers,
Bruce
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 01:57 PM UTC
looks good so far, so small.... never done resin here, cant give any useful advice!
what railings do you need? I have some unopened:
Tom's Modelworks Modern 4 & 5 bar Rails 1:700 # 758

you are welcome to them if you wish, I dont have plans to use them in the next few months
Cheers! Jim
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:26 AM UTC
Jim,

Thanks for the offer. I ended up getting a set of those later in the day Monday. I had to get a few other things so I added those ot my list.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 01:58 AM UTC
Well, nothing new to show today. I will how ever pass this along. I spent most of the week looking everywhere to find the paints for this kit. The two main colors are White Ensign colors, WEM M09 and M10. Nearly every place I looked was out of stock on those two colors. I could have ordered then from England, but the cost was crazy. In the end I did end up finding a suitable substitute for both colors.

I also had to order a set of generic railings for this ship. The PE fret did not include railings. Since I was looking for some other items I was able to grab those fairly easily. I am hoping to get some pieces added in the next few days so I can post some pictures of my progress.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC
Did you try GreatModels? I ordered some stuff from them not that long ago, including some WEM paints... Jim
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 06:59 AM UTC
I did try them, but they had every other color instock, except for the ones I needed.

They are a very good place to get those odd ball items.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
OK, I did some more work on the ship last night. I added the 20MM guns and started to prep some fo the other parts to be added later this week. It is just amazing the level of detail in such a small kit.

I did my best to align the forward and aft guns so they looked even.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 02:25 AM UTC
Looking good, Jim
A couple of advice (again):
I guess that you have washed the parts with dish washer cleaner. You should prime the parts with Tamiya Grey Primer.
Also it's time to start painting small parts and details, as well as the deck. Than you can mask it with Tamiya Tape or any other masking tape and paint the lighter shade of grey.
Skipper
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 07:52 AM UTC
Skipper,
I used Dawn dish soap for cleaning.

I noticed when I put the 20mm cannon on last night the vents behind them are now hidden. So, I do plan to do some prelim painting this weekend.

My wife has some liquid Latex she uses for her pottery. I wonder if that would work on resin for a mask as well? I know on pottery after you put it down you can trim it with a sharp knife.

I also need to prime the PE before I get ready to use that.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My wife has some liquid Latex she uses for her pottery. I wonder if that would work on resin for a mask as well? I know on pottery after you put it down you can trim it with a sharp knife.

hmmm, very interesting idea, Jim...I would be curious to see if it would work, seems like it should, as it is a liquid mask product...personally, I've never had much luck with these, and stick with Tamiya mask as Skip does...I guess you could test it out on the bottom side of the ship where it would go un-noticed if something were to go wrong....

Quoted Text

I also need to prime the PE before I get ready to use that.

Don't forget to give your PE a bath in acetic acid (white vinegar) first, my friend...it will give the brass a little surface etching to improve adhesion before priming...thanks for the update, Jim. I'm watching this build closely, as I have both this kit and her other Admiralty variant in my stash waiting to be laid down!

Keep Modeling,
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes you can use it!
It's the same principle as Humbrol Maskol... I usually mask and for bigger areas (in the middle of the mask tape) I use Maskol... It prevents the "coloured fumes" to enter any gap between the tape and ruin the previously painted area.
You're in the good path
Cheers,
Skipper
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC
Good to heal the latex will work. I can thin it down and paint some nice crisp lines with that.

We also use wax to prevent glaze from sticking to areas we don't want to it go. But that is a little harder to remove. Inside the kiln at 2350F(1288C) it sort of melts off.

I will try some liquid latex and see how that works.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 02:03 PM UTC
Looking very nice Jim.

Gator
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 03:05 PM UTC
I might be jumping ahead, but I had to try this out. A waterline ship looks best sitting on a base with water. I had never done a 1/700 waterline ship before, nor have I ever done water. So after reading and searching, I decided to try out a technique from Gator, Kenny. Wow, is it simple. Here is the progress thus far with my water. I still need to add paint and then of course the ship, but that will come.

Sorry, my last picture is a little dark.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:22 AM UTC
Ahoy, Jim,
Glad to see that you took the "jump" into the water base, mate!

Gator's technique is easy, and quite effective, for sure (as well as fun!)...progress looking good, my friend, thanks for the update!

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hi Jim

The overall effect is very good, BUT please check the wave direction - they should be more or less in the same direction
Skipper
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 08:30 AM UTC
Skipper,
Your right about that. I knew they looked off a little. This will be a practice base. I can play with color and see waht looks the best.

I am guess this will peal off fairly easliy, so I can do a better one when it is time to finish my ship.

Also started to add some Haze Grey to teh ship and small parts. I almost started to paint the deck, but noticed, I am all out of thinner.

I'll get more progress later on this week.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC
Sorry no pictures with this update.

I did get some time to paintthe decks ofthe D182. The WEM paints are very nice and smooth flowing. I had good smooth coverage and didnothave to thin the paint anytouse it. I also made another base. This one is much better than the first one.

I am waiting to get my PE folding tool so I can start on the masts.

So far I say I am ahead of where I thought Iwould be. I will try to get some photos up by the end of the week.

_GOTOTOP