_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Dragon Model Kits
modelfreak24
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:31 AM UTC
Please repost but i think this is where this belongs.
OK,
Is it just me or does dragon make really bad ship models
My reasoning is that at least half the pieces on 2 models just broke on the sprue
its really bad
i already had to discard one kit
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:38 AM UTC
I haven't had any problems with there kits more than any other. The only beef I have with any kit is some of the poor molding but then again I've been building kits that are 20 years or more old for the past few months. I geuss all I can say is get a good sprue cutter, take your time, have fun, and this also gives you a chance to get better at scratch building. See there is a silver lining.....practice scratch building the busted peices...thats what I do.
modelfreak24
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC
Thanks a million
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:28 PM UTC
Personally, I like building DML kits...as far as plastic injection goes, some of the best available, IMHO...never had any breakage problems me-self, either...I dunno, mate, sounds like the kits that you are working with have taken a bit of rough handling somewhere along the line. I've shipped and received a multitude of model kits, many DML, with not a problem...
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 04:06 PM UTC
I can't recall ever having trouble with Dragon plastic, and I've built ships, armour and aircraft from Dragon. I would suggest that you might need some new cutters, or do as I do with fragile parts, cut as far away from the part as possible and then trim closer to the part once it's off the sprue with a sharp knive.

Frank
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 04:53 AM UTC
Dragon may be the hands down winner / leader in the productin of 35th scale tanks, but their 350 scale surface ships leave A LOT to be desired. I have built one and it was OK for my purpose as well as a cheap kit...half price sale at Hobby Lobby. I was hoping they woud want to enter the market with their competitor Trumpeter doing so wellthere, but have yet ot see or hear aything from them. I have heard their subs are great, but then again there isn't a whole lot you can do to goof up a sub model
 _GOTOTOP