_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Bases & Water Effects
These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
Need help with water effects
exigent99
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the shipwrights section, but I need some help with water effects, so I figured I'd go right to the masters

I'm planning to make a d-day, omaha beach diorama, with the front of a landing craft open in the water, and a small section of beach, with a few g.i.'s running through the water and up the beach.

I want to make the water similar to the water in this dio....

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-Day-DIORAMA-SUPER-BIG-SUPER-DETAIL-1-35_W0QQitemZ280187068727QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I'm wondering how exactly to go about this...so I have a few questions about techniques....

For water like that shown above, could you use plaster of paris, or caulking, make the water, and then paint it the right colors, and then, pour some tinted resin over that, so it collects in the recesses and lower parts? That's just my guess on how they did it, but I'm not sure. So, I need some tips on putting figures, ships, and stuff into water, and how you'd make water like that in the link above. Thanks,

Matthew
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 04:29 PM UTC
There some features right here on Model Ship Wrights. Read them and see what might work out for you.

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net//features/1880&syn=1886

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net//features/1538

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net//features/1582

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the shipwrights section, but I need some help with water effects, so I figured I'd go right to the masters

I'm planning to make a d-day, omaha beach diorama, with the front of a landing craft open in the water, and a small section of beach, with a few g.i.'s running through the water and up the beach.

I want to make the water similar to the water in this dio....

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-Day-DIORAMA-SUPER-BIG-SUPER-DETAIL-1-35_W0QQitemZ280187068727QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I'm wondering how exactly to go about this...so I have a few questions about techniques....

For water like that shown above, could you use plaster of paris, or caulking, make the water, and then paint it the right colors, and then, pour some tinted resin over that, so it collects in the recesses and lower parts? That's just my guess on how they did it, but I'm not sure. So, I need some tips on putting figures, ships, and stuff into water, and how you'd make water like that in the link above. Thanks,

Matthew

Ahoy, Matthew,

Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!

As Jim stated above, we have a few really great water technique features hosted here at MSW, each one with subtle difference in technique and mediums, but all with the same results, ie "making water"....in addition to the three that Mr. Adams listed for you, HERE is another method by Mike Taylor that achieves an amazing result, as well...

Whichever method that you choose, please be sure to keep us posted of your results, mate, keep modeling!

exigent99
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 03:31 PM UTC
thanks guys, I've looked at all those.....but I'm still wondering if any of you have experience with putting figures in water? That's probably a better question for the armorama forums.... anyway, I read in one of the tutorials that you could use paper mache for the water......do you know if it would do anything to the paper mache to pour resin on top of that? For the link that I gave above, it looks like they used caulking, then poured resin over that..... Does that seem like a feasible idea or not?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks guys, I've looked at all those.....but I'm still wondering if any of you have experience with putting figures in water?

Aye, mate...pretty sure that many of us have...I've used many different mediums over the years for water, both acrylic and solvent/resin based goo, with no ill effects to the figgies...

Quoted Text

anyway, I read in one of the tutorials that you could use paper mache for the water......do you know if it would do anything to the paper mache to pour resin on top of that?

IMO, as long as the mache base is thoroughly dried, I don't think that the resin would react in an ill manner with the mache...probably would adhere even stronger than on just a plain, smooth surface...

Quoted Text

For the link that I gave above, it looks like they used caulking, then poured resin over that..... Does that seem like a feasible idea or not?

Could be, but as with any time that you combine products of different chemical breakdowns, might pay to try a little test area on a seperate surface just to see what happens...

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP