_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Movies - Share Those Rare Ones
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 02:06 AM UTC
A few months ago I signed up fro Netflix and since then my DVD library has grown rather large. Most of the movies on the list are ones I have added, my wife gets in a few girl movies every now and again.

Last night I got “Sink the Bismark” in. I did get a chance to burn it, but haven’t watched it yet. That’s for tonight along with “Gunga Din”. Since I have a rather long list of movies coming, I was wondering if anyone might have some favorites they might want to share.

Recent additions to my collection are:

Downfall – The final days of the Third Reich in the Bunker. (German language)
Young Mr. Lincoln – Henry Fonda plays young Abe
Spartacus
Captain Horatio Hornblower – Gregory Peck

Coming
Battleship Potemkin
Rear Window
The Train – Burt Lancaster
Fail Safe

So, anyone have any to share? I always like a good movie.

wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hey Jim,

I was wondering if you could shed light on something.....I read on this web site or another site(sorry I sometimes brose other sites) that the movie "Here comes the Navy" will be playing soon on TV. Do You know when that may be and what network is playing it? I would also like to see"Battleship Potemkin" I may have to join that Net flixs thing.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 03:28 AM UTC
Frank,
I am guessing it might be on TCM. Cagney is the actor of the month and he is the star of that movie.

It will be on Jan 23 at 3:00am on TCM.

Netflix is a good system I do the three at a time rental. I normally get mine at home, then return them the hext day. Some times I get my next group in two days, sometimes longer.

Battleship Potemkin should be here next week, unless I bump it up on my list.

wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
What do you use to burn the movies??? DVD recorder? Comp? If comp what program? I have a few different programs that I use right now and I just like to keep up to date with what others are using.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 03:49 AM UTC
I have DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypt, and Any DVD.

I use my PC. I also have a litescribe drive so I can do the designs on some DVD's.

Then I use Nero to do the burning.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 05:21 AM UTC
Jim:

I have no idea what all you have, so I'll throw out a bunch of my old favorites. I don't now if they are all on DVD or not.

Bridge Over River Kwai, In Harms Way, Longest Day, 300 Spartans (1963), Fall of Roman Empire, The Vikings, Excalibre, Tora-Tora-Tora, From Here to Eternity, Pearl (TV), All those great John Wayne flix like Sands of Iwo Jima, Flying Leathernecks, Flying Tigers, Back to Bataan, They Were Expendable and on and on and on. Sgt York, the LOst BAttalion (TV) I am sure you have all the stuff that has come out since they discvered CGI so I'll skip Pvt Ryan etc
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC
Steve,

I actually don’t have all of those. In Harm’s Way is my favorite Navy movie of all time. Just got Bridge on the river Kwai. John Wayne is a must have in any collection if you’re an American male, in my opinion.

I’ll have to add some of those others to my Netflix que.

Now with CGI, it takes a good deal of the wonderment out of movies.

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
Jim and all,

I think it was MGM that has recently released several of the good, older 'war flicks' and I've been collecting as many as I can get ahold of. Kind of like a 'stash' for DVDs...lol. Some of great ones, many you've mentioned, all on DVDs;

A Bridge Too Far, Anzio, Battle of Britain, Battle of Bulge, Blue Max, Bridge at Remagen, Bridge Over River Kwai, Desert Fox, Enemy Below, Force10 to Navarone, From Here to Eternity, Gallipoli, Guns of Navaronne, Longest Day, Run Silent/Run Deep, Sink the Bismarck, To Hell and Back, Tobruk, Tora-Tora-Tora, Where Eagles Dare, Zulu, Zulu Dawn, 300 Spartans...
Of course some of the 'fun' ones like; Dirty Dozen, Great Escape, Kelly's Heroes, Stalag 17...
and the list goes on.

Blade48mrd[:::]
raalst
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 119 posts
Model Shipwrights: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
maybe you guys already know it but it was new for me :

http://www.stage6.com/History---World-War-II/videos/?page=1

apparently, if you analyse the "embed" code, you will find a url which
enables you to download the films.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
I didn't know about those. Thanks for sharing that with me. I will 100% for sure be watching them over the coming weeks.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 04:25 PM UTC
Jim, I am also a big Netflix fan, you can actually set up different "accounts" within your own account, for different family members, each with its own queue. Anyways, I get tons of documentaries, since I either dont have the TV time or the cable channel, I catch up with the programs in Netflix, some examples (all are MULTIPLE DVD series):

Shootout!
Battlefields
The War machines of WW2
The History of Warfare
Great War Planes of WW2
Great Battles of ww2
Aviation Library
Roaring Glory warbirds

on the "wet" side of things:
The Great Ships Series
War in the Pacific
Battle Stations

I mean you get the drift... also look at individual episodes of Nova, History Channel, there was one of Cameron's Bismark expedition, the photography is fantastic.

Movies, whats missing from the older stuff? mmm Das Boot? midway, sand of iwo jima, so many.. in case you missed it, I would reccomend Glory (ACW)

There is also a book, hang on....

Brassey's Guide to War Films by Alun Evans (2000), ISBN 1-57488-263-5
250 pages of war films listings, just a short summary of each, everything you can imagine (until 2000 that is

Ran, cant forget that one!

5 star movies include The Alamo, All quiet in the western front, Battleship Potempkin (1925), Bridge over River Kwai...

anyways, sorry the lenght of the post

CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Model Shipwrights: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 05:23 PM UTC
Cross of Iron
Das Boot
Stalingrad (German language version)
12 O'clock High

Cheers,
Charles
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC
Some of my favorites in the collection are...

Away All Boats
Bataan
Destination Tokyo
Operation Pacific
The Gallant Hours
Wing and A Prayer
Task Force
Battleground
Air Force

Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 07:03 AM UTC
Here are a couple more that I thought of Bogie's Casablanca (greatest movie of all time) Action in the NOrth Atlantic, African Queen, Caine Mutiny and Sahara. You might also take a look at Passage to Marsaille, Scirrocco, Across the Pacific, and To have and Have NOt...in fact, any BOgart flic is considered super by me. He and John Wayne are just required viewing at my house

Von Ryan's Express
The TV series WInds of War, War and Remebrance (1&2) North and South all 3 series
Gettysburg and Gods and Generals
Ben Hur has that great sea battle and of course the chariot race

I'm just hitting on old old flix. There are so many great ones that have came out in the past 10 years or so that I figure you know or have got them.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:22 AM UTC
I have yet to see the Caine Mutiny from start to end. I love Action in the North Atlantic and The African Queen. Hepburn plays almost the same character in Rooster Cogburn

Oh, and round up the usual suspects.

Also, go by your local Wal Mart and look in the $5.00 bin. There is a great two DVD set on Iwo Jima - 34 Days of Hell I think it's called. Also, look in the $1.00 movie display and look for all four War In The Pacific titles. It's from the old "Why We Fight Series."

Gator
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 01:22 AM UTC
The $5.00 bin is a good place to pick up some good old movies. I was going through my book last night and I am way behind watching all of mine.

I still have to watch:
Lillies of the Field
2001 & 2010
Failsafe
To Hell and Back
Sgt York

And there are some chick flicks my wife snuck in on me when I wasn’t looking.

I’ve seen most of those before, but I still like to watch them again and again.

The Victory at Sea series is also a nice set.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC
I kind of did what you are doing in the early 80's. I bought a VCR (back then they ran about $500) Then I would rent one for about $25 a week. Then I would hit the 2 big stores that rented (this was before Blockbuster and anticopying stuff) for a buck a pop ad rented as many as I could and taped all day andall nght. I would put 3 flicks on a tape (which cost about $5 each) Istill have ovr a 120 tapes that I almost never view. Now I just but DVD's off of ebay when I buy them.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:44 AM UTC
I actually buy a good deal of movies as well. My wife is also a big movie person and she had several hundred VCR tapes when I met her. We have since gotten rid of those and began to conversion over to DVD.

Her son bought her the DVD recorder drive for her 50th birthday. I added the 500gig external drive last spring. That has helped out a good deal with storing picture and music. I love having such a large and diverse library of movies. If I want to watch something I can pretty much find something.

It is strange the older I get the more I appreciate the old classics. There is a good deal of junk being released today. It is hard to find a movie that will for ever be labeled as a classic. Forget finding actors like James Stewart, John Wayne, Patricia Neal, or Henry Fonda. Then throw in directors like John Ford and Cecil b. DeMille.

OK, I’ll stop my preaching. Battleship Potemkin went out today, I’ll let you guys know how it was.

_GOTOTOP