_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
Revell Type VIIC wip
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 02:13 PM UTC
Got started on this beauty late yesterday. Much of that time was spent hogging out the flooding holes from behind and cleaning up the Yankee Modelworks resin pressure hull. Once all this was done, I test fit the Nautilus wooden deck and liked what I saw, except for the fact that a lot of the resin pressure would be unseen once covered. Oh well, not much else I can do except keep going. I plan on adding a little bit from different boats for this. Bow cutter, camo,etc. While it won't be 100% true/accurate to any one boat, it will get the look I am after. Thanks for looking, comments welcome. "Q"

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 04:06 PM UTC
Great start Matthew, you've got quite the boat there! The resin insert looks good, even though you probably won't see much of the detail once completed. One piece of advice I can give is to accentuate the painting details on the resin pressure hull (lighter coats of paint and a bit of dry brushing), hopefully making it stand out.

thanks for posting,

Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Matthew

Long time no see
Another thing you can do, so that the pressure hull is not completely "lost" is to open the deck hatches - you just have to make a tube with steps, and there will be some light that will enter the hidden area - just a thought

Keep us posted,
Skipper
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:37 AM UTC
That kit and interested me for a while. glad to see somebody working on it so I can watch the progress. Looking good thus far!

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 06:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudos and suggestions guys. Rui, as far as the "Tube with some steps" would that be ladder going from the deck to another hatch on the pressure hull? If so that's easy enough to do. Thanks again all. "Q"
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 06:17 AM UTC
maybe place some LED lighting in there also. That will help show your work.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC
A question Q.

How much more detail is there in the Nautilus deck as opposed to the kit supplied deck? I've often wondered about this. I've thought of getting one for my own but then decided against it in light that from what I could see, there didn't seem to be a large difference.

Sorry to hear about the pressure hull. I also wondered if that wouldn't be a problem too.

Ciao
Steve

Sick of winter yet? I know I am.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 02:26 PM UTC
Steve, The wooden deck is perferated so it does allow some light thru. It can be scuffed once painted to show some of the wood too, so in that respect I guess its pretty good. It also comes with the wood sections for the conning tower sides which is a nice detail. I just added those today. Wet them real good and clamp in place to let dry to the curvature of the tower, then glue. I painted the pressure hull tonight and added various grays, rusts, and some green to simulate the weathering. Not much of it will be visible once the decking goes on, but I'll know it's there. Thanks, "Q"

if planning on installing the resin pressure hull, do yourself a favor and paint and weather it before installing it in the hull...what was I thinking??
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 03:09 PM UTC
Hi Matthew,

Good solid progress, don't forget to spray paint the plastic inner hull above the resin pressure hull decking before you seal the insides, you'll be able to see it opposite the openings.

Frank

self edit, On closer inspection, you've painted the areas that matter! Ignore the above comment!
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 04:11 PM UTC
Looks pretty good.

I also have the Nautalis wood deck and YMW pressure hull. Nice to see how well that they will fit!
I also bought the CMK compartments for the interior which I have been told that the pressure hold has to be modified slightly for a good fit.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hi Matthew

Sorry for the late reply - and to your question the answer is YES
As for the pressure hull painting and weathering I would accentuate a little bit more the dark sides and give it a "hard" dry brushing in lighter tones - only to make a good contrast inside - just a thought
Keep us posted
Skipper
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 05:27 AM UTC
The U-boat has taken on some color. I laid in the light and dark grays last night and came back this morning to lay on the gray stripes for the camo pattern. Anyway, here it is with its initial colors laid on. Does anybody know the technique that Ken Hart uses with the soapy water for weathering and if so, have you used and how did it work? I think it looks really awesome, but can't find a how to on doing it. Thanks. "Q"

darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi Matthew.

Great build mate. The wooden deck for the Boat can you tell me where you got it please? As I have a Type VII C screaming at me to build it.

Cheers Darren.
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 12:19 AM UTC
Models by Mickster should have it:

http://www.modelsbymickster.com/hobbyshop/
darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 04:28 AM UTC
Nope still getting the Error 404 message mate.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 05:01 AM UTC
I actually bought mine at a local shop. Not sure where online you can find it. I've made some more progress on ye' olde' boot as it were. I got the camo laid in, and the decking secured. That was fun Had to get creative as I need pressure on the sides and some weight on the top to keep it in the channel that runs the perimeter of the boats interior. I used 5 min epoxy and CA to get things snugged down. Once all was in place and dried, I went back with some MR. Disolved Putty to fill any gaps I found. So far so good. Did a little detailing on the deck gun last night as the hull and deck were drying. Work contues today. Thanks for looking, comments welcome. "Q"

rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 12:25 PM UTC
oops, better link to Mickster:

http://www.modelsbymickster.com
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 05:17 PM UTC
Try Squadron or Greatmodels. I was just on both of them today and recall seeing them listed. Unfortunately, I can't recall exactly which site. "Q"
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:28 AM UTC
Your boats looking fantastic i did a build not long back and judging by your colour schem i have done mine a bit to dark.I did not put as much into mine it was straight out of box because i,m to impatient to get them finnished.Still new to the site but learning all the time from great modellers as yourself who don,t mind giving numties like me a bit of insparation and advice.
darreng
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 05:46 AM UTC
When I build mine. I'm going to use both Kreigsmarine paint sets by Lifecolour.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 06:49 AM UTC
Looking very nice Matthew. Super job on the pressure hull.

later...Gator
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Keith, I think your boat looks damn good, oob or not. If there is one thing I learned with this build, its that this thing will build into a great looking kit right out of the box. Maybe some PE added but all the resin this and wooden that, just spending $$$ in my eyes. Hindsight is 20/20 you know Here's some more progress on the boat. I got to looking at the resin hatches that came with my Nautilus deck and they were pretty rough. I think the molds might have been old. I decided not to use them and using sewing thread, cut the hatches off the kit supplied decking, sanded them down a bit and presto chango, clean looking hatches. Also decided to forgoe opening any hatches to allow more light in for viewnig the resin pressure hull. I know it's there and that's good enough for me at this point. I mixed up some varying shades of black and dark, dark brown oils and used them like a stain for the wooden decking. Keeping the deck darker in areas that might not have seen as much foot traffic etc. and lighter, more weathered effect around the hatches, bollards and ladder areas. Its subtle but noticeable. Sprayed the entire lower hull with a good coat of future, let dry and went to town with my acrylics and oils. I replicated the weed/grass line by using small amounts of green, yellow ochre and white dotted along this area and feathered heavily into the paint. I think it worked really well as it is a very faint greenish tint on the paint. Only able to get one side done before the sand man came calling. Pushing on with it today. Thanks for looking. "Q"

GlennCauley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Model Shipwrights: 57 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC
Niiiiiiiiccccee

I also used the YKM resin pressure hull and Nautilus decks on my own U-boats.
LOVED the wooden decks... the resin hull not so much.

If it's any help to you, feel free to check out my 1:72 U-boat build sites at:

www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/Uboats/

https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net//features/1312

Curious what you used to paint/stain your wooden deck ?
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Curious what you used to paint/stain your wooden deck ?

I used a mixture of Raw Umber and Lamp Black oils. I mixed it up in varying degrees and laid it on like a stain using Turpenoid as the carrier. I kept it darker in areas that might not have seen a whole lot of foot traffic such as the very fore and aft portions of the deck, and more of a weathered look (Browns) around the high traffic areas. Glad you like it. Getting the other side finished up today. "Q"
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:09 PM UTC
Well...
I can only say that I LIKE WHAT I AM SEEING!
keep up - you're almost there!
And you work very fast too

Skipper

PS: Matthew, don't forget to drill the forward flooding holes (those almost in diagonal)

_GOTOTOP