Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
Reworked 1/35th freighter
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC
JBA, Jean finally got around to working on the tramp steamer.

This is a build I started about a year or so ago to be incorporated into a dio in North Africa.
I've chopped the length from a 200 plus footer with two holds to what you see in the pics with the VIIC. I can't find my 1/35th scale ruler, I know it's in my room somewhere. I used my 12 inch table chopsaw and was very pleased and surprised it worked . Some very minor join issues.
This tramp steamer is being loosely [ very loosely ] built from ref. pics. of the ship Venture of King Kong fame. I'm going to try and get it as accurate as possible, but it is more of a Hollywood build so there will be inconsistencies and some rivit inaccuracies.
With the start of the church/monastery thing I'm building, the dio has moved from N, Africa to somewhere in Italy.
The church/monastery will be on a craggy coastal hill. The tramp steamer you see along with the Accurate Armor VIIC and Azimut's Schnellboat [ maybe Italeri's new Schnell ] will be in an Italian port town at the base of the church/monastery.
I'll probably be asking alot of dumb questions about this or that on the steamer.
I'm thinking of nixing the front structure in front of the raised deck with the boom control booth. Making it look a little more like the Venture.
Tommorrow I'm going to start plating and riviting the hull, ........ I hope.
Thanks for looking - Glenn

The real Venture.

My efforts, the first pics. are of the 200 foot plus version then the chop job.

A year ago.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi Glenn,

Look forward to the pics. Must be something in the air, I've lost/mis-placed my 1/35 ruler as well , it's here somewhere but ...........

Good to see you getting on with this one.

Cheers

Al
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hi Alan how have you been mate ?
Even though I'm now retired I figured I'll work on all the projects till I move into a larger house. I've already bid, started packing to move into 3 houses I've " bought " only to be out bid by people that had no contingincies to move in. I have to sell my house still and have put 60 day " waits " on the bids, packed and unpacked most of my modeling room 3 times .
Three times within the 60 days someone else came in and scooped em up !!!!
Thank the Lord I am retired, because with all that going on I've still managed to do some stuff.
See you here - Glenn
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi Glenn

Good to see that you dig this project out!
I love the small details that you have made so far - especially the inside the cabins details! There's really a crew there!
Also a comment on the ship shape (I am sorry if I will hit a worm can):
The bow shape is too thin for contemporary cargo ships, meaning that it should keep the beam of the midship until almost at the bow (on the images you have posted of a real steamer, you'll see that it only starts to be wide at the fore mast).
This doesn't mean that your work isn't good - on the other way! But you can make it better!

Please keep us posted on your progress!
Skipper
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 03:37 AM UTC
Great Skipper, first question, does the beam look better in the longer version ? Actually that's a very dumb question, long or short it's still too pointy, the beam widens still to far back from the bow.
Ok, in the third pic. of the build ship [ not the real Venture pics. ] I should bring the beam on farther to the bow .
Second, what do you think of the forecastle foward bridge [ do you like those landlubber ship terms I vaugely know about ] type structure, to me it looks like it belongs more on an oiler, as does the catwalk and boom booth.
Ok what if I widen the beam on, then nix the foward structure and cut the legs down on the catwalk so it levels off with the foward deck just before it drops to the cargo deck, like in the Venture pics. i knew I should have copied the Venture as seen in the ref pics.
By the way before we go any further, let me say that this would probably be a ship made in the early 1900's maybe even a post WWI, refitted for WWII, or at least that's my intention.
No widening the beam shouldn't be to much of a problem. As it is now still in two pieces it's better to be addressed now.
Skipper, thanks, keep em coming.
Glenn
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 06:09 AM UTC
hi Glenn

Glad I could help you having more work to do
1 - The bow looks better in the long hull version, but...
2 - This kind of arrangement is, as you say for oilers (you have answered your own question)

Although you have your ref pics posted, I also made a simple image google search with "Tramp Steamer" and got these interesting results. On the first three pages you have good examples of what you pretend to portray...

Give some time and check some of those images - it will make your already good work, excellent and accurate (even if you are making a "generic" tramp steamer).
Hope this helps,
Skipper
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
Ahoy there I thought I recognised the freighter! Hope no one here minds a land lubber trying to get his seas legs for a while... 9I'm outta my comfort zone here... )
Glenn looking the part, and I have to say it is good having someone like Rui on board (ooh, a nautical pun!) to finetune your accuracies. She is looking beaut mate, and although they both look great and floaty to me, the second 'chopshop' version kinda looks better to me; more condensed or something...
When I see it I'm thinking of the boat on Raiders of the Lost Ark near the end (although this is probably moreso after seeing the MP40 hanging in the cabin )
Land ho! (time to go)
Good stuff
Brad
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
Well Glenn I can't believe i missed it the first time ago -her size is really impressive compared to both the VII and the monastery!
Contrary to Brad I must say i prefer the long version, but then I've got a soft spot with big 1/35 boats!
What i really think about the choice of versions, is "do what fits best for your diorama". indeed the long version is so long that it might dwarf your monastery almost completely!
I am amazed by the amount of small stuff you've been able to cram into those tiny rooms
Don't worry too much about some some smaller inaccuracies, as long as it still *feels* right, but then Rui's suggestions are rather tops. i will read carefully your next instalments

and good luck with your house business too!
JB
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hi Glenn,

That's a lot of packing and unpacking, hope all goes well there.

I prefer the long version too, but then I would having seen it from first build Up to you though, if space isn't an issue I'd stay large it's much more impressive and the size offers you more scope for activities on deck and in harbour.

It's excellent work which ever size yoiu settle on.

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 03:28 PM UTC
Ahoy Glen, good to see you back around these waters, mate!

I've often wondered where you were with this project (I do remember it's birth a while back, my friend ) and can see that you have been working away (between packing and un-packing...Jeez, what a royal PITA! ). She's looking great, Glen, and as your time and progress allows, do please keep us posted...

Keep Modeling,
~Gunny
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 04:59 PM UTC
Skipper,......... thanks ............ I think,.......... this was on page two of the Google search, where the heck do I put this, .................. at least now I know why it was called a steamer, ............from what was left on the decks......................

Ok, back to business.
A tramp steamer is a ship that has no large company backing. She sits in port [ global ] and picks up any outgoing cargo she can get for hire.
The Venture is actually a passenger steamer/freighter. That's why she has more upper structure and berthing aft, and a small length and cargo hold.
When I first started building her the long length didn't look right to me and I was getting away from the look of the smaller Venture.

Skipper I found all my ref. pics. and I don't know how I missed the bow thing.
I'm thinking because in some of the bow Venture pics. she looked like she had quite a razor bow.

Before we get to the part where someone questions the ships guns location [ the Verlinden 5cm on the stern ]. Which was asked about when I first started building her. They didn't think it could be placed there for concussion/stability reasons.
If you notice in the pic below, on the freighter in the background there are two [ 4inch 5, 6 ? ] guns on top of an open air salon ? gallery ? on the stern.

Next is a pic. of a freighter [ Skipper - yes look at the bow ] but the cool thing is it's all wood.

After a couple of beers and ciggys, looking at her I also noticed she lacked that banana curve. Her decks were rather straight bow to stern.
She also lacked a visable curve to her bottom, which I think I'll let stand. I think that will pass if I raise the bow and stern a little [ 1st pic ] to give it the banana curve. This way she'll sit lower in the water midships as if heavily laden. I'm also ok [ 3rd pic ] with the widening curve from stern to midships.
The bow is a must correct [ thanks again Skipper ] and before I start plating her I'll show the results of the refit and look for an ok from the Armorama Naval Staff. She just has to look good enough to be believable to the layman for the dio. But I also don't want glaring mistakes.

Brad I've found a commision job for you [ aren't you glad you responded to this post, l.o.l. ] With the advent of your brilliant figure sculpting talents [ am I laying this on too thick ? ]. I sure could use a civi 1930's looking crew for her. I'd be rather proud to have figs. designed by you crewing her.
What ever you think is a fair price for each fig. mate and from the looks of things there's no rush, l.o.l.

Jean, thanks. It feels good to have a purpose for this ship again and to be working on her again also. The longer version did have some drawbacks and as a passenger freighter the length just didn't look right, and yes space conciderations also.

Alan, Gunny, thanks and yeah the house buying thing was a big letdown. They all had two car garages and full basements, more space than I'll ever need. I love to cook and to me one was a heartbreaker to loose because it had a killer kitchen.
I think what the family and I will do is regroup and wait till the realestate market starts up again and then try and move into new digs.

Almost forgot, Gunny, Skipper, is there any way I can add the bolg cog wheel thing to this thread [ forgot to when I started this post ]. This way I can keep everything here and not have to start new posts on every update ?
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 05:11 PM UTC
Thicker than treacle mate
You had better send me some photos of what you had in mind... a 1930s crew rings no bells on the recognisometer...
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 05:14 PM UTC
Thanks Brad, I'll start digging [ no pun intended ].
Glenn
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi Glenn,

Are you looking to keep this one a German Boat or has you thinking changed? Sorry if I didn't pick up the thread correctly.

just for a bit of fun I was done in London today with the good wife for the Chinese New Year Celebrations when this drove by in Whitehall :

Big Yellow DUCK anyone!!!

Cheers and good to see you building again.

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Almost forgot, Gunny, Skipper, is there any way I can add the blog cog wheel thing to this thread [ forgot to when I started this post ]. This way I can keep everything here and not have to start new posts on every update ?

"Blog Cog" added, mate!
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:30 PM UTC
This is one ambitious project and so far is absolutely beautiful. Naturally I hope that you post more photos so we can see how your ship is coming along. I'm blown away, I just can't get over the amount of talent that I see on the "Big A" especially the folks that build from scratch. Cudos to you friend!

EasyOff
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 01:15 AM UTC
Looking good mate.

Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC
A truely marvelous build. Is it big enough to carry say one tank in the hold. Now that would be a really cool dio. Having them lifting a Panzer lll out of the hold.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi Glenn

I am glad I could help you (having the double of the work you had planned!)
You're going on the right lane now... and don't forget to camber the deck (a noticeable upward curve from port to starboard) a very common feature of those days ships - it helped the water that reached the deck to exit faster.

Keep us posted please
Cheers,
Skipper
 _GOTOTOP