_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
The Mary Ann
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi guys.
I was in my lhs and saw this kit and since it said 1/33 scale, I thought it would fit in with the freighter and church dio I'm doing.
It's a Billings offering. I'm currently feeling Scott's pain, this isn't easy.

After bringing this home and opening her up, she looks alot like the fishing boat Rhodes Williams used in his excellent underwater dio.

I've also lost quite a few square feet as I've switched modeling rooms. It now feels like I'm working in a closet. I guess I'm spoiled, alot of guys have no " room " to model in at all.
I'll now have to rethink my large dio and build everything in sub assemblies till I can sell my house and get something with a garage and basement.
One step foward, two steps back !!!!

Anyway here's the kit.

Previous room 14' x 12'

Daughters new bedroom

My new " space ", 9' x 10'

If I fart in this new room I'm dead !!!!!
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
Well Glenn, are you sure drinking beer while modelling (especially such a tricky wooden boat) is really a great idea ?
That's very generous to have given your modeling room to your daughter, she certainly needed it more, and then your new place looks really cool -less spiders than in my garden shed and at least your walls are whitewashed!
Then good luck with your Mary Ann, that's one -like Scott's wooden ship too- that i will follow closely!
JB
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 06:00 AM UTC
I kind of work out of two areas. I have an extra bedroom that I dedicated pretty much to shelving and storage. I put all my extra modeling supplies, stash, and built kits in there. I have a small table in there I use to set up for airbrushing. In the old dining room area (I eat in front of TV like any civilized American) I have my assembly and hand painting work table along with some shelves to store diorama supplies and display some battle barbies and my favorite Hollywood monsters of the 30's collection.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:16 AM UTC
I have part of my basement that I'm turning into my modeling area. I also have some beer on the bench.........thinking of getting a mini fridge to help with my modeling(beer) projects..
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi Jean, I love your new avatar, he's quite a handsome lad.
No bier while modeling, that's only imbibed [ or a glass of wine ] after modeling while doing the photo and down loading work.
Besides, the Irish half of meself would surely rebel without a small aperitif once and anon.
I grew up in a very poor Polish/Irish family, ................... why, we were so poor my parents had to buy all our school clothes at the Army and Navy store.
I went to school up to the 6th grade dressed as a Japenese Admiral.

Steve, very cool that you collect 30's horror stuff, I was raised on Chiller Theater and late 1950's early 60's on old B horror flicks - gotta love em !!!!!! Lon Chaney, Bela, Boris - very cool.
I always loved the early 50's Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein, the Wolfman, Mummy etc. I also love all the Hope and Crosby road pics., funnier than heck !!!!!

Frank, I just retired and my house is up for sale - looking to get one of them basements and a garage. I live on the Jersey coast and the water table is about one foot, so everything here is crawl spaces.
 _GOTOTOP