_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
LCVP conversion for Vietnam dio
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi at all,

i wanted to create an MSSC in the past but i give up the plans as a result of lack of information about these boats. So now i want to convert the LCVP from Italerie or the old REVELL U.D.T boat a little bit for use in a Vietnam Dio. I want to add a cover above the hole ramp like on the PBR or better like those on an Medium Seal Support Craft.. and add some weapons stations at both sides.My Question is could i do these or where there no LCVP´s like that modified in Vietnam. I know that some LCVP´s are still in Duty in Countries with smaller Navy Units. is that modification possible or could i use it like it was?

Any help is usefull and many thanks for answers

Greetings

Stefan
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 06:38 AM UTC
Stefan:

You might also try posting this question on the Armorama armor section. There are several vets that probably have seen LCVP's used in Nam and this type of ship because it is ground relatetd as well (like an LCM and a bit like the DUKW) does get addressed by some of the guys who just do tanks and things. They generally don't viist with us. Keep monitoring here though. Several of the guys do have access to some great reference material and who knows may find yo a flock of pix to help.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 06:18 PM UTC
Have you talked to the folks over at http://brownwater-navy.com/?
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:14 PM UTC
Hi Stefan,
Too bad your MSSC-project is off (I know there's little to be found )
I have a few pictures of the LCVP in use in Vietnam. Problem is I can’t get to them right now (a little Windows problem with the home pc) but I will let you know when I can mail them to you (if you want). There were a few LCVP’s in American use; the bigger battleships carried some sometimes but they also servies as ‘workhorse’ to do maildeliveries etc.
http://brownwater-navy.com/vietnam/photos/Canal9.jpg

The ARVN also used the LCVP, armed and armored
http://indochine54.free.fr/cefeo/dinassau.html

I’ll get back to this

Best regards
Mark
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

it´s nice to hear from you. Yes i´m sorry not to build the MSSC but you know the Problems of this Projekt. I have a lot Photos but there are not enough to build it. Every help from you for the LCVP is welcome. I´m happy that these boat´s where used in Nam. So i have a chance to complete this projekt. The weblinks are very good but these Photos i allready have. These Photos have bring up the Idea to convert a LCVP.Now I only must decide if i use the Revell U.D.T. boat or the Italerie LCVP. There are some differences between these two Models.I will decide it when i get the Photos from you. Good luck with your PC. Some days ago i must Install the hole Operating System and all programms. It´s not funny at all and it took many time. Hope to hear from you and have a nice day.

PS:Your website ist great. It´s a great pleasure to look at your work. The conversion of the Hobby-Fan Figure with the new head is cool. Good looking guy .

Greetings

Stefan
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Stefan,

Can't help with the Vietnam layout but look forward to the build.

Way to Go.

Al
 _GOTOTOP