_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
HMS Victory
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
Crew-mate Raul Guzman Jr. shares a fine photo gallery of his H.M.S. Victory, in this MSW Photo Feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Rangefinder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 05:37 AM UTC
I have seen a few Victory models, pictures of a bunch more, and I spent a long afternoon as a US Navy sailor in company with a few British Sailors touring the HMS Victory in Portsmouth. I'd say we got the sailor's tour. I've been interested in this ship ever since, and, sometimes when I'm deep into my particular modeling fantasy, scheme of building a large scale Caldercraft model in my retirement. No where, though, did I have the idea of essentially scratch building the majority of the vessel.

Amazingly good work. It would be difficult to distinguish the real thing from Senor Guzman's model judging by the pictures. I am particularly struck by the quality of the work - rigging is almost perfect, which is something you do not ordinarily find in most models of this type - good, but not perfect. (I'm sure there are areas there that Mr. Guzman could point out that are less than excellent, but, I certainly don't see them now.) The ships boats are another example of careful craftsmanship, that, in my opinion at least, cross over to little works of art. In fact, I would go so far as to classify this model as a piece of artwork worthy of display in any art gallery in downtown San Francisco - the only ones I am familiar with.

Who knows, I might just buy that Caldercraft kit after all. Along with the fly fishing, plastic scale modeling and general goofing off I have planned for retirement, I might be able to work my way through it.

Congratulations, Sir. A beautiful model of an important ship.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 06:19 AM UTC
This model of the Victory is fantastic.

HMS Victory is on the same plane as the USS Arizona. Both have special places in the hearts of their countries. During my only visit to Portsmouth, we were not allowed to leave the ship so I failed to cross off seeing Victory in person.

Thank you for sharing her with us.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:23 AM UTC
Really is an impressive model.
Thanks for posting it.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 05:16 PM UTC
Hi Raul,

Outstanding work, a real gem of a build.

Al
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:00 PM UTC
That, is an incredible piece of work. The different types of wood used (rather than just painting balsa to look like it...) and the skills involved are beautiful, and all that craftmanship has been crowned with one of the most impressive rigging jobs I have seen.... Superb doesn't really do it justice.. Outstanding job, and a real inspiration to all us wooden ship modellers.
Thanks for sharing this.

Henk
raulguzmanjr
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 07:25 AM UTC
I wish to thank the people who remarked about my HMS Victory. I was quite pleased with how it turned out. When I was building it, and it was on my workbench, I would get down on the floor to put on my shoes to get ready to ride my bike, I would look up at it and it struck me as if I were looking at a real ship. I then decided that when it was finished on a calm, sunny day to place it on a table outside and shoot some photos with the sky as a background. I was very pleased with some of the photos. This model won 11 awards in 2007. It won Best of Show in the Houston and the Austin scale model shows and it won the Hollywood Theme Award in San Antonio to name a few.

Raul
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 08:15 AM UTC
You can't just shrink the real thing and enter competitions, that's just not fair .
Seriously this is the best H.M.S Victory model I have ever seen. Stunning work.
I had to look twice at some of the pics to make sure it was a model.
Andy
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 09:25 AM UTC
I can tell you guys that the photos don't do Raul's models justice. I've seen them up close an personal and they are true works of art. Beautiful work Raul.

Gator
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:37 PM UTC
It's all been said before here, and said better than I can say it, or even again - but WOW! I was sooo impressed by your last build, but this is even beyond. As someone said, shrinking the real thing with a ray is cheating!

What I love about modeling is the "small" factor, and the "counterfeit factor" - you essentially fake people into thinking a mini version is real. It is such a thrill to do, but it is such a thrill to see! Beautiful. 11 awards - desreves 11 x11.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC
amazing work! The initial picture (on top of the loaded screen) has to be the BEST model picture I have ever seen, with the blue sky as background, looks awe-inspiring and majestic. All the awards (and more ) are well deserved, I am keeping these pictures for enjoyment (not for reference, I will NEVER be able to build something like that!). Thanks for sharing !
Cheers!
raulguzmanjr
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:29 AM UTC
Thanks again for your comments about my HMS Victory model. I am presently working on a clipper ship and hope in about a week to have some photos of that build posted on my website.

Raul
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:22 AM UTC
WOW! Absolutely amazing!!!
 _GOTOTOP