_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
2 in 1 kits needed
seabee1526
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 08:51 AM UTC
I would love to see a manufacturer come out with a 2 in 1 kit that you could build either / or of a certain subject.

I was thinking of the Nevada / Oklahoma, Tennessee / California, Maryland / West Virginia.

It would be nice to be able to select which ship from the same class you would like or even buy 2 kits to represent 2 different ships. Would it be hard to have a basic class and ship specific spru's in the same box?
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 03:56 AM UTC
Interesting question, Dragon (and others) do it for armor all the time. Aircraft models, you also see it... either different markings or versions (day vs night fighter). The newer 1:700 Dragon premium kits give you the choice of versions in many cases, you can buy couple of the same kit and have 2 different ships. it is not even a question of economics, since we still have to buy TWO boxes to make the 2 ships!
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 160 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:15 AM UTC
Some kits are that way but very few. I remember that when I put together my HMS Exeter (type 42 class destroyer) that I had the option of making any one of the four of the type 42 batch II destroyers. The instructions did list the minor changes needed to differentiate the model between the four ships. The kit was the 1/700 HMS Exeter from Dragon.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 08:58 AM UTC
It would be a great concept, the 2 ship classes of Tenn/Calif and Mary/WestVa are pretty similar in appearance all being cage mast at Pearl. But they had different main gun arrangements and probably a host of other differences. Heck, most of the ships in the same class were different from each other and require modifications. Tanks are easier becasue 100's of each type were built. A lot of times it is easy for a company to do the multiple varieties because they can take a sprue from one kit and throw it in the box. Like say with Dragon's panzer III. I bought one kit and there were sprues from 5 other kits in the box. Ships probably aren't cost effective that way.
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
You'd be surprised, I have built a few modern ships that had a spruce or two in common with each other. I think it was a Spruance class and a Type 42 class that had a sprue in common. The two ships had no weaponry in common but the sprue had weapons parts for both and more on it. One of the guns looked like it belonged to a Russian destroyer but I never researched to find out for sure. I have yet to come across that in WWII era ship or a sub from any era but I have seen it happen a few times on modern surface vessels.
 _GOTOTOP