_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Related
Site related feedback, issues, or suggestions.
EVENT
MSW's Community Build Contest
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC
Ahoy, mates!

Hear ye, hear ye!!!

Want to take part in a very special, online building contest? Well take a look here, to have a shot at winning some fantastic Grand Prizes, as well as building a model along with the rest of your shipmates!

Welcome to the Model Shipwrights Community Build Contest, a special contest developed by us to help our community here grow and build camaraderie, in the brotherhood of the love of ship-modeling!

Pass the word to ALL of your shipbuilding friends, the more the merrier!!

Start planning now, mates, sign-up time is right around the corner...

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:46 AM UTC
hello Mark,
this is a great idea.the only problem to just build oob or go for it and build a dio i have been thinking about.and with a year to build it,even Jim and Kenny can get one done
cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hello Mark,
this is a great idea.the only problem to just build oob or go for it and build a dio i have been thinking about.and with a year to build it,even Jim and Kenny can get one done
cheers,
Bruce

Hey now lets be nice! Kenny has gotten some ship models done, I've only finished a couple armor builds.

But seriously, the time will be needed to make sure you pick something that is a challenge. There are a good deal of kits OOB that will take a while to get done. If you are thinking about joining, you have time to think about it and get your ships in a row.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 07:44 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,

Well one thing is certain:
Don't let the "heavy weights" scare you!!!!

For several reasons:
1 - You don't know if the Heavy Weights are going to enter.
2 - Even if this is a online model contest, it is supposed to be fun.
3 - If this is a drive for you to make a model, than please, enter.
4 - Read the rules and you'll see that a dedicated modeler can achieve a good level of points.

Just my 2 (euro) cents
Rui

EDIT: And No Staff Members are allowed to enter

grayghost666
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:11 PM UTC
hello all,
i am going to build the San Fran OOB,i already was going to do it has a WIP,so this is a good time to do here.
i am not worried about the "Heavyweights" as i am 6'0" 260 lbs,so i am pretty big "heavyweight" my self.is bribes allowed?
all joking aside,i think this will be a great campaign and will be ready June 1st.
just need 2 books and the paint.
cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:33 PM UTC
What Rui said is a good thing to remember, staff cannot compete and with judging each month, you can do decent.

This is going to do several things here. First of all get a bunch of people doing something we all love. Teach us a good deal. And just be plain old fun.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No Staff Members are allowed to enter

Well, that certainly relieves me of any pressure!

I'll go back in the corner and behave myself now!
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:34 PM UTC
Oh I LOVE this idea! Im in for sure, just because it sounds fun and will have the time in the summer... some questions/checks (all questions regarding OOB):

- I assume Dragon Premium kits are out, have PE included
- can you add your own scratchbuilt pieces to OOB build? Just no prefab AM parts?
- I also assume you cant "double dip" and use a GB build also for this

Do you HAVE to take a year to build it? what if you take less? Not that I am a fast (LOL) builder, I just dont gauge build time needs to well....

Cheers, great idea again! Look forward to this....
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

some questions/checks (all questions regarding OOB):

"(iii) Ship Models that have inherent PE or turned barrels or any other multimedia parts are not allowed.

Quoted Text

- can you add your own scratchbuilt pieces to OOB build? Just no prefab AM parts?

"OOB (out of the box)"

Quoted Text

- I also assume you cant "double dip" and use a GB build also for this

Errr....nope....

Quoted Text

Do you HAVE to take a year to build it?

See previous question

Quoted Text

what if you take less? Not that I am a fast (LOL) builder, I just dont gauge build time needs to well....

I guess if you finish up early, you can just enjoy the other builds with the rest of your mates!

JMartine
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Sorry the stupid questions ... just making sure Look forward to participating, cheers
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

and with a year to build it,even Jim and Kenny can get one done
cheers,
Bruce

I've been selling glue and masks to buy more kits. Soon you will see more Gator builds.

Gator
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:07 PM UTC
hello Mark,
can we use mask's for the paint job,or just have to do it free hand.masks are AM?
cheers,
Bruce
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:12 PM UTC
I would say masks are allowed, as they are a tool in the painting process, similar to say.... thinner.

Frank

P.S. but the final word is with Mark...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hello Mark,
can we use mask's for the paint job,or just have to do it free hand.masks are AM?
cheers,
Bruce

Most definitely, Bruce...as Frank has said, a mask is considered a tool in the painting process...roll with the camo patterns, mates!
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"(iii) Ship Models that have inherent PE or turned barrels or any other multimedia parts are not allowed.

Don’t most of the dragon kits include the plastic parts as well? Would I be correct to assume these kits could still be used as long as the metal parts stay in the box?

Don’t know it I’ll be in it yet or not yet.
I could see about starting the Musahi but I already plane on doing a build in the cruiser build. Just don’t know that I want to bring 2 more ships out at once when I already have 5 projects on the bench.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don’t most of the dragon kits include the plastic parts as well? Would I be correct to assume these kits could still be used as long as the metal parts stay in the box?

Sure thing, A Dragon Premium Kit could be utilized for an OOB build, as you say, Jacob, without the use of the PE replacement parts...

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Just a quick note:
If I was allowed to enter the competition i would enter the category that I am more comfortable with.
If I never used PE before, if I never made a seascape or complex rigging than I would choose OOB
But if you already master OOB, go to the next step - it's called evolution and you shouldn't be afraid to try!!
As I said a number of times before, I can't run before I can walk, so...

Also think that you can enter a model in the competition and still use it for a campaign - we are not watertight on this issue.
If this makes you happy, so are all of the staffers and the Campaign Leaders, because more entries will be finished successfully in the end of the campaign.

Looking forward to see what you guys can do with this new contest - all I can give you, is my honest opinion and honest points!

Rui
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:37 PM UTC
May 1st is right around the corner, maties, are we ready to sign up for this fantastic, new MSW contest?

What are you all planning on building? Sound off now, ship-mates!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 01:05 PM UTC
I love the idea of this and will definitely enter, but I have questions regarding the time concept.

"Judging will be done on a monthly basis, a total of eleven progress votes will be added to a final completion vote. Progress votes will be based on a gold, silver, and bronze system worth... 5-3-1 points."

"At the end of the contest, one final vote will take place within the staff, to be added to the monthly votes to determine the winner. This final vote will be worth 10-5-3 votes. "

This is the part that confuses me since it seems like you kinda get penalized for finishing early. Say I only take ten months to finish my project. That means that I will lose two additional months' of progress votes that would help my overall score. So how does this balance out in case of early completion?

Or should I take one month to do the rigging and the last month to hang the flags?

Second question:
"(viii) First photo of the build blog must be of the model parts, still on their sprues and any aftermarket parts along side, all next to your selection of local newsprint, with the date fully visible… this is to ensure that no one starts with an advantage. "

I usually order my aftermarket stuff from the four corners of the globe and it can sometimes take months for things to come off backorder and arrive. I assume that even if some of the stuff arrives after the official start date and first photo for the build blog, that it would be okay? After all, if it's arriving late, it's not gonna give an unfair starting advantage.

Please excuse these silly questions- I just want to make sure I'm squared away on what's happening. The answers will determine what I build.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to this build!
JMartine
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 01:39 PM UTC
I actually had the same question as Dade regarding the point system, Im joining anyway

I will "challenge" myself with my 350 build, one of 2 destroyers in my stash (Dragon), OOB

Or REALLY challenge myself with a carrier, I have the Dragon 1:700 Essex... can try scratchbuilding and additions, some non-PE detailing. I was thinking of doing that one for a Pacific GB I was feeling out...

I want to stay OOB since Im a returnee/newbie, dont want to try a waterbase or PE-based detailing. I also want a "project"something I can work for a few months.... and that I can concentrate on basic construction skills

:) My two sprues worth....
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 05:47 PM UTC
hello all.
the San Fran will be my OOB,and i have been thinking about doing the Admiral Sheer also oob,or just for the Sister campaign which ends July 08.i do have the same questions like Dade and James,what happens if we finish early,for the voting points?

thinking about it,Dade&James i think Mark wants us to fell we have enough time to do what we want.either it is OOB of all decked out.i think this is the replacement for the model of the month contest.only it is the Model of the Year.and remember we have 6 Weeks to fine tune the rules and Reg's.
so lets let he staff think about what we have said,and then let us know the decision.
i think that if you are going all out,it might be allowed to order PE and AM after the start.
just my 2(us)cents.
cheers Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 09:44 PM UTC
James, Dade, and Bruce, thanks for the reply's, mates...I apologize, James, I didn't get where you were coming from the first time around mate, but now in retrospect, I can see what you were saying...

Putting this thought into play, I can see where we may have to put into effect some sort of "contest rider" that would allow a later addition of a back-ordered item to a current entry...but now this raises another concern...do we also require some sort of proof that this item is actually ordered?

Think of it this way...modeler "A" and modeler "B" both plan their builds, gather all of their materials needed, and begin the build as slated...they both build accordingly, as the contest rolls along, but competetive human nature soons take hold, and modeler "B" soon discovers that modeler "A"s build is going to outshine his build, because of A/M additions...modeler "A" really wants that Nimitz, so, modeler "A" makes the decision to add more A/M additions to his build, well into the contest, to try to out-do modeler "B" s build...see what I'm getting at here, my friends? In all fairness to all contest entrants, how is something like this avoided?

We want to keep this contest as friendly and light-hearted as possible, because the underlying emphasis of the entire reasoning of this event, is to develop a more constant, contributing membership at MSW, building on the grounds of friendliness that we all strive to make the #1 rule of difference, that makes our site here stand out from all the others...I don't want to create any animosity between anyone, I want to build more camaraderie between our members, while attracting more new members to the site, members who will feel comfortable here, and help to make MSW their one stop ship modeling resource...

So, with this in mind, how do we rectify this very important point that James and Dade has brought into play? Maybe as I have stated, with along the original entry Blog photo, the individual must provide some sort of back-order proof (invoice, etc.) with his entry? Comments and suggestions most definitely will be taken into thought here, mates...

As far as Dade's second question on time frame, well since the contest will be based on the monthly blog votes, yes, sticking within this time frame will be the most beneficial, as well as the most fair decision to all builders, some of which (I myself included! ) cannot build at the same pace as some of you guys that amaze me with the rate that you can build...please don't think of it as being a "penalty" for being a faster builder, but as a chance to enjoy the contest build along with all of your other mates a bit longer...

As Rui and Bruce has stated, this warm up time before the contest will be used to iron out the fine details, and clarify the reasoning behind the rules and reg's...........and it's best to do it now before sign-up begins.

grayghost666
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 05:57 AM UTC
hello Mark,
i think that an invoice showing that the item was ordered before the start date should be allowed.also this is a new contest,so there will be some problems that will come up and need to be resolved.
yes,this is going to be prizes,BUT remember that this is a hobby,not Win or die.
so lets have FUN,do the best you can,and relax.
cheers,
Bruce
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:58 AM UTC
Howdy Mark,

Thanks for answering our questions. I personally just wanted to make sure I understood everything before wandering off into some weird place that only my own mind understands (this happens a lot). Otherwise my entry may be a paper model of the USS Constitution!

Your explanation and example of why all the materials should be confirmed by the start date is an excellent one. I also think your idea of proving the parts are ordered by the deadline is great. If they haven't arrived by the start date, would a screen capture of the order be okay? Modelpalooza is coming up in the middle of May and I'm gonna try to buy all my supplies there, but just in case I have to order something from Hong Kong or Japan, I will happily show proof of ordering.

One last question (I promise!): I have a really neat idea for a diorama involving two (maybe three) ships. Since it's all on one base, it would be one entry. Is this allowed? I don't see anything explicitly stating only one physical ship, but again, I want to be sure.

Okay, that's enough outta me. Again, sorry to be a hassle. My brain can go down some weird paths, so better to set up the street signs now!

I'm really looking forward to this! And please don't worry, this is a good crowd, so I know we're all gonna have a blast. I think we all just wanna be sure we're on the same page. Thanks again for the opportunity!
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC
Um... I may be missing something but couldn’t every one just say what they plan on using on the kit when signing up if its not there yet? Just let them show the extra bits when they come in to prove nothing was already started with them.
That way they still couldn’t add extras later and would be much easier (and possibly safer) then trying to show proof you’ve ordered something.

Quoted Text

Also think that you can enter a model in the competition and still use it for a campaign - we are not watertight on this issue.
If this makes you happy, so are all of the staffers and the Campaign Leaders, because more entries will be finished successfully in the end of the campaign.

Well in that case I may just add my cruiser to the contest. Even if I would be starting a month late and (hopefully) ending a bit early. Really don’t think that would hurt my chances of winning too much. Not that I plan to win anyway but you know.
 _GOTOTOP