_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
About Photo Etches
DMcGillavry
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 104 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hello All,

I want to know which companys products are better about etches? Which companys frets are better to work with them? As far as I know, they are delicate parts, but I wanted to know modelers ideas who has much more experience with etches than me. For example which one has more endurable etches than others?

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:23 AM UTC
Opinions on photo-etch will definitely vary with the modeler, mate...some like LR, others swear by Eduard, where for some folks its Tom's Modelworks or Gold Medal Models...personally, I favor Toms Modelworks sets, their very good quality, good etch, and a great price...I'm sure the next guy to answer is going to have a different preference, my friend, my best advice, examine all the different makers of a particular set that you're looking for, and go with what you think might be the best value and quality...
Cheers,
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC
White Ensign Models, WEM, makes nice sets as well. I do agree with Gunny, Toms is very nice. Good quality and fair price.

Being in Turkey you might want to stick with WEM, since they are in England.

I like to try some of each to see which one is better.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:47 AM UTC
I've used all of them. If you want to spend the money, Lionroar is the best. But usually I go with Tom's or Gold Medal Models because I get more bang for the buck. I use most of what they put on the frets and they aer half the price of LR. With the LR I ended up using less than half as I really didn't see that marked improvement over what they were replacing on the kit as well as having to cut the kit up to accomodate. WEM makes great stuff, but I think they are a bit pricey. Of course, all this is assuming the sets aer available in for a particular kit by all manufacturers. Right now for the San Francisco, Tom's released several subsets packaged into one. GMM is finishing up the last bits before putting theirs out on the market. I don't know if WEM has released one yet and I don't think LR hs either
 _GOTOTOP