_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
"Decision of the Admiralty Board"
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 09:55 PM UTC
MSW crew-mate Raul Guzman Jr. treats us to something decidedly different, although definitely related, to our ship-building genre, with this magnificent diorama in this MSW Photo Feature, "Decision of the Admiralty Board"

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi Raul

A very interesting display!
I am used to see one of our club members works, Carlos Filipe, since 99% of his work are shadow boxes!
It's a very interesting technique that forces the viewer to see what the modeler wants, and are always great displays and public favorites!

Bravo Zulu
Rui
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC
Raul,

Beautiful presentation.

Thanks for sharing!

grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 09:26 AM UTC
hello Raul,
great shadow box,alittle bit for everyone who looks at it.the Lord sitting with his foot up because of gout,reminds me of the Hornblower books.
thanks for sharing.
cheers,
Bruce
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:49 PM UTC
Didn't I see this same diorama/shadow box in one of Shep Paine's books?
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 04:24 PM UTC
Wow! Stunned again, Raul...great idea, beautifully executed.
raulguzmanjr
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:27 AM UTC
Jesse:
My "Decision of the Admiralty Board" is very similiar to Sheperd Paine's one, yet a little different. In Paine's book, "How to Build Dioramas" one can see photos of his shadowbox. I have a 2 more figures, have two dogs, and an extra ship model than his. I also have my 3 tables with wood tops. My board room is oriented different to look more like a drawing I found on the internet. Overall it was a fun project. I'm sure another shadowbox diorama looms in my future. To those who commented on my work, thanks for your kind remarks.

Raul
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
Excellent work, beautifully executed. Great composition, gorgeous finish. Thanks again for posting! Cheers
jimlolok
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 53 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
Ah,those well remembered PHOENIX figures...Still have the highwayman diorama I made with their Brougham coach and highwayman,made when I lived in a favourite haunt of these gentlemen,Epping Forest.
Also still have 12 of the ever so slightly cheeky girls they marketed as well...
I often planned a big dio of brighton sea-front using all their Victorian figures and vehicles..The donkey rides/ice-cream trolley,etc....
I believe SOLDIERPAC of the UK has these and other Phoenix figs in stock...
Kapitanleutnant
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 - 06:43 AM UTC
In regards to Jesses comment above: A copy almost down to the "T" brace. I suppose that copying is the highest form of flattery. However, in my humble opinion, if you are going to copy someones art, Xerox it if you will, perhaps a nod to the original artist is in order? And that nod is very much absent in this case.....just my two cents.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 06:01 AM UTC
For those who are wondering, here is Sheperd Paine's original version of this diorama as seen in his 1980 release of "How To Build Dioramas". Amazing to think it's been almost 30 years already since the release of this great book. Wow!

Credit should most assuredly be given to Shep Paine for this concept. As the great Yogi Berra said, "It's like déjà vu all over again!"

raulguzmanjr
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:47 PM UTC
Lincoln and Dade:
Your comments about me not giving credit to Sheperd Paine is justified. I used his book on building dioramas as a guide, but I also included many differences in my model. I found on the internet a drawing of the admiralty board room and saw that he had flipped his room around. I made my board room look more like the drawing. It showed a ship model on a small table by the windows with sunlight filtering through. I incorporated that into my diorama. I choose to have two ship models and to add more figures than Paine's. Having more figures made it necessary to have a larger table top which I made of wood. All of my tables have wooden table tops, whereas Paine used the Phoenix furniture.

I added a wall map that was down like in the internet drawing. I added two dogs to my diorama. My room has a considerable more wood apperance than Paine's and the ceiling is elevated like in the drawing. My pilasters are different. Paine's bookcases, globes and wind direction device (all located on the back wall) are like the internet drawing, so it was necessary for me to do likewise. What I am trying to say is that I made my version somewhat similiar and yet different to the internet drawing and Sheperd Paine's. In the building log I made on this model on Model Ship World I showed at the begining a photo of Paine's fabulous diorama, the internet drawing and of Seymour Lucas' painting of the "New Design." I guess I should have done so here too.

Raul
 _GOTOTOP