_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
KOngo in the slipway
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:01 AM UTC
received a billing notice today from Hobbybuy which means they have shipped out my Kongo. I'll keep everyone updated as to when it arrives and my initial impressions when I open her up to look at the innards.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC
From the photos someone posted on Modelwarships, it looks pretty nice. Still, I'm going to wait for the Aoshima version to come out and see which is better. Fujimi (and possibly Aoshima) are supposedly going to follow these releases up with other sisters - I've seen mention of Haruna from Fujimi and Kirishima (and maybe Haruna too) from Aoshima.

With all these new 1/350 releases, it's apparent I'm going to need a larger house...
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With all these new 1/350 releases, it's apparent I'm going to need a larger house...

That is an understatement.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
I have it on good authority that Fujimi is coming out with the Haruna. I need some images to be able to run with a news announcement. My source don't have access to a scanner.

Gator
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:12 AM UTC
That's good news for people (like me) who want ships from the 'Battle off Samar'. Showing IJN battlewagons compared to USN destroyers in 1/350 would really show the 'David vs Goliath' theme of the battle.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:05 PM UTC
With the additional costs of at least 2 dedicated P.E. sets thrown in to already pricy kit, I'll likely only get one of the potential 4 sisters,... and more importantly I have to save some money for the Akagi.

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 08:51 PM UTC
I've seen it. It's beautiful. IMO the best 1/350 IJN ship out there in plastic (and maybe even resin). The assembly is set up in a good logical way, fit is wonderful, and the panel lines are spectacular. Of all things, my favorite parts are the funnels and their caps. What many manufacturers leave to PE, Fujimi has rendered quite nicely in plastic. All of the little "doodads" (searchlights, etc.) are crisp. This is truly a set where many of the normal PE swap-outs don't apply.

Fujimi's 1/24 Porsche 356 kits have always been the epitome of excellent car models and with the Kongo, their ships have reached that plateau. You will not be disappointed. Blows all other 1/350 IJN plastic out of the water (no pun intended). After the Nagato fiasco, Hasegawa's got their work cut out for 'em with the Akagi, although from what I've seen of it, it's looking good. Still, based on first impressions, Fujimi is burying Hasegawa with the tiny details.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 07:49 AM UTC
Something else I like about Fujimi is that they have 2 PE sets for the Kongo and both are priced in the mid 30's. One is strict railing the other has most of those things that we like to swap out like catapaults ad cranes. I am planning to get some rattle can Mr Surfacer to correct the Nagato and am searching for a discount on the first 2 PE sets for her. Though I have been bugging Loren at GMM to make an overall Nagato set.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(...) and more importantly I have to save some money for the Akagi.

Frank

That's why I am gonna stick with the 1/700 version

And now back to the topic:
Steve I guess that Lionroar will produce a complete set, so it's a matter of waiting a little more
Cheers,
Rui
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess that Lionroar will produce a complete set, so it's a matter of waiting a little more

I believe it's already out - to the tune of $200+ USD
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
Got word from FEDEX of a shipping. Expected docking of Wednesday the 7th which is my Saturday. 2 whole days to look at the innards of the kit YIPPIE !!
 _GOTOTOP