_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Fujimi Kongo PE Upgrade Sets
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:15 PM UTC
Ahoy mates!

MSW Associate Editor Frank Portela (Clanky44) continues with his "First Look" reviews, in part two of his IJN Kongo series, with a closer look at each of the dedicated photo-etch upgrade sets from Fujimi!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC
Another good review Frank
Thanks for sharing it with us!

I have some doubts about the tab on the railings... I know it will help the modeler, but still I have to see one of these "tabed" railings live to see if they convince me

Cheers,
Rui
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have some doubts about the tab on the railings... I know it will help the modeler, but still I have to see one of these "tabed" railings live to see if they convince me

Cheers,
Rui

The Nagato PE have these same tabs and the are hardly noticable once painted over. Now they might be slightly thicker due to them being stainless steel.

Frank
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:59 AM UTC
only a 70%?? I take it no staircasetype ladders included. Stainless steel I have found to not want to bend and hold the shape very well. How is it on these sets?
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

only a 70%?? I take it no staircasetype ladders included. Stainless steel I have found to not want to bend and hold the shape very well. How is it on these sets?

Sorry Steve,... none included, this is a very basic set. I tried to be impartial in the review, but will give my honest opinion here, save your money and wait until someone like WEM releases their set.

Frank

Edit (May13/08): HLJ has a listing for a future release (May) for an Advanced Photo Etch Parts set, 3 stainless steel frets for 6800 yen.

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ11153
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:26 AM UTC
Is this 3rd set inclusive of the first 2 or is it all new. These are such super kits (Nagato as well) that they don't cry out for a whole lot of PE unless you just want to upgrade everything. I'm not looking out swapping everything out or doing the multiple piece PE replacement part (to small and fiddely for me). I pretty much limit my self to adding railings and replacing cranes, catapaults and the like. Sometimes I'll do the inclined stairs and sometimes ladders. I may or may not just order the first 2 Nagato sets and thefirst 2 Kongo sets. Bt as I am not going to do it for a while, I guess patience will be a reward. I did it with the San Francisco and look, GMM is on the verge of releasing a set. Problem with me is, my fingers just get so itchy to dive into one of these super kits. I've still got the Hood, Hornet, Enterprise (CVN), and the Bama that have got all the stuff for them. I'm getting close to finishing the NJ, still have to do a lot of the specail PE and final assembly on her, then maybe do a quick tank kit to reafirm my Armor skills. If I'm smart, I'll tackle one of the carriers next., by then the PE market should be flooded and I can choose a set that is right for me.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hi Steve

Based on your description, you're better off sticking to the two sets I've reviewed. These two sets have all that you have described, all the railings and some extras.

Frank
 _GOTOTOP