_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
USS Buchanan now in Port!
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC
Well, as those of us whom ordered her know, she came in today!

Sweet looking kit and the "extra" PE is top notch as well. Nice, nice nice!!!

Now, to find the time to build her!

grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 04:59 AM UTC
hello Jim,
mine should be here tuesday.are you going to do the review on her.i have 2 reviews in the works for me,so i can not get to her till the end of next week.
cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hello Jim,
mine should be here tuesday.are you going to do the review on her.i have 2 reviews in the works for me,so i can not get to her till the end of next week.
cheers,
Bruce

Yes, I was going to do a review of that kit. I have a couple thigns in mind for it I might want to try out.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:22 PM UTC
I got mine yesterday. I'll be working on a masks set in the next couple of weeks.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:54 PM UTC
I'm so emotionally distraught over this news.
Seems my entire order from Dragon USA is on back order.
It's not the first time that this has happened to me,
and in all honesty, I'll be giving serious second thoughts to ordering from them in the future.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got mine yesterday. I'll be working on a masks set in the next couple of weeks.

I might just be knocking on your door when it is ready!

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 03:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm so emotionally distraught over this news.
Seems my entire order from Dragon USA is on back order.
It's not the first time that this has happened to me,
and in all honesty, I'll be giving serious second thoughts to ordering from them in the future.

That is a crock. They even split an order once. I got it in two shipments and still get free shipping even though each was under the old $50 limit.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:23 AM UTC
Sorry Jim but here's the invoice from this morning:

and nothing was marked back ordered or out of stock on the 18th.
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

I just know your going to love this!

They are $7.00 cheaper at my LHS and they have plenty in stock.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 04:10 AM UTC
That's strange, Dave. Your post prompted me to check my order, placed on 5/23. The invoice showed exactly as yours, all 6 items (different items than yours, by the way) marked as back-ordered

Mike

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 09:44 AM UTC
Glad it just isn't me Mike!
I've decided to cancel my order, and simply order from either Gordon or Squadron. I'll live and survive without the Cyber Hobby set. I only ordered the Kursk set and the Check-point set to get the free shipping. Everything else is listed as in stock at Squadron, and the Buchanan is 2 bucks cheaper to boot.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC
Ahoy Mates,

I can only blame ya'll for all of this, I have gone and joined the dark side, jumped scale to 1/350 and obtained a copy of the Buchanan from the local hobby shop. Just so I wouldn't feel deprived, I have also ordered a set of the upgraded rails and radar and range finder bits from Dragon online.

I will admit, it is a fine looking ship kit although somewhat larger than I am used to, after looking at the 6 little figures included, I suppose a return trip to snag some more figures is a requirement, the ship would look sorta bare with just a skeleton crew like that on deck.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Mates,

I can only blame ya'll for all of this, I have gone and joined the dark side, jumped scale to 1/350 .

Welcome to the dark side, Joe!!! I have found that while they absolutely take up twice as much space to display, I really do like the scale because of the added detail you can depict. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 07:31 AM UTC
Well mates, I may be going a bit out on a limb here, but since there are quite a few of us with this model kit (myself included ), what are your thoughts about a Buchanan group build?

Not a campaign, mind you, but a bonafied group build where we are all building the same kit together, and learning together as we go...thoughts, comments, suggestions?

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
Hmmm, sounds like you may be on to something there Mark. I am waiting on the railings and extra goodies but I don't think that it will take that long for them to arrive. I am sure that we are all currently involved in a project or two but if we could work out the timing for such a thing, I would be up for it.

Now if Gator has a set of masks coming along as well as a few extra bottles of his wonder glue for rails, that would be icing on the cake.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
I am still using the same bottle of Gator glue. I've done a battleship, cruiser and a destroyer as well as a couple of tanks and nw this BR52 loco. I still have half the bottle left, so unless you are going to drink the stuff Joe. I bottle is all you need. As to Gator masks---I wouldn't do a ship camoflauge without them. I am waiting for Kenny to tackle his 350 Alabama so I can get a set for mine.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now if Gator has a set of masks coming along as well as a few extra bottles of his wonder glue for rails, that would be icing on the cake.

The Buchanan and Alabama masks are in the work. I could possibly have them by the end of the week.

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC
Ahoy Mates,

Cool deal, sounds like things are rolling right along in Gator country. Guess I will have to send some currency units that way.

I got an email confirmation from Dragon USA concerning my ordered PE parts set for the ship and was somewhat puzzled by them apparently shipping them to me via Fed Ex, especially since I use a PO Box. When I tried to place an order to them yesterday for some Lions Roar goodies I ran into that situation and just decided to go with Bill Gruner at Pacific Front Hobbies instead since he has all my info and preferrences instead. I did place a call to Dragons' toll free number today after getting the email invoice to see how many hoops I would have to jump through to get them on the US Post Office shipping routine.

I spoke to a young man named Lawrence who was very helpful and told me that usually the shipping guy notices the PO Box numbers and just sends things like that out to the post office. Looking at my invoice he did notice that the shipping was described as Fed Ex though. He apologized and we decided that the best thing would be to just call in my orders and tell them to ship it via the Post Office or make a note in the comments box on the order page to that effect. I figured that was that and hung up. Not five minutes later the phone rang and it was Lawrence again telling me that even though the invoice said that it was shipped Fed Ex, it had indeed gone to the Post Office and was being sent to me by way of Priority Mail so kudos to Dragon USA. They will be getting some more of my business in the future.

Now, where it that link to Gators' website
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:49 PM UTC
jay -
http://www.gatorsmask.com/

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 02:16 PM UTC
Thanks James,

But I was only kidding about finding Gators site. Mark and his webby make it real easy, just click on the www with the arrow above the message content on one of Gators' posts and you go right to the boys lair or would that be nest, since he is a Gator.

Side note to Gator, since you use paypal, I just deposited some more funds and it takes them 3-5 days (hmmm and I am a "Verified" user too!) to transfer funds. So as soon as I get all copacetic with them, I will be doing a little shopping at your site.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:25 PM UTC
Ahoy Mates,

I went to check the PO Box today and lo and behold, Dragon has sent my USS Buchanan 'Upgrade Package for the Model Connoisseur', not too bad, 6 days from ordering to recieving. Although I ain't too sure about the "Connoiseur" part, I do rather like what I am seeing in the little blister pack. The majority of the railings appear like chain type railing with a little droop between the stanchions and all the netting is already there on the provided rails so no gooing them up with CA to attatch the stuff. And although my examples' Range Finder preformed base part appears to be a tad bit tweaked out of alignment, I don't anticipate any problems in straightening it out.

Paypal finally got off the dime and got my funding deposited in my account yesterday so I placed my order to Gator for his wonder glue and applicator set as well as mask set for a Fletcher Class ship in 1/700 scale, boy has a ton of masks in there! I figure to try out the smaller mask set before I give the upcoming Buchanan set a go around to see how easy/difficult it is to master.

As a side note, I can't help but wonder how nice it would be to use one of those Upgrade kits on a Fletcher Class ship in the larger scale. It would certainly go a long ways to improve the appearances of the model over what is currently offered from other makers. But it may require two of them to do a Fletcher, not sure about that part but what the heck.

_GOTOTOP