_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
MSW Build Contest - 1/700 Yamato - Full Build
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 05:10 AM UTC
Greetings.

I'm so excited to kick of my contribution to the MSW Build Contest ... and actually also my first major ship-project.

I'll be building the Fujimi 1/700 Full Hull IJN Yamato, as she appeared on her last voyage.

Besides the kit, I'll be using an extensive list of AM parts e.g. PE-sets and brass barrels.

Let's see some pictures.

and with todays newspaper to confirm the date:

Now for the AM parts I have:

And lastly. a list of the LionRoar parts I've ordered at my friends local hobbyshop:

I hope to get the new 1/700 Yamato super detail set from Lionroar (LE700103) first .. so I can get a better view of what it contains .. because I'm pretty sure it'll make some of the other ordered LionRoar sets unneccessary .... I hope it ok to subtract sets from my planned list, as long as I don't add new ones ... the reason my list is so extensive, is simply because I'm a newbie .. so I'm not really into what I need, and what I don't .... so better order too many PE sets that too few!

I also plan a nice base (not diorama) for this kit .... a friend of mine makes some very nice wooden bases, and I plan to make a design, and get him to do it!

Oh and of course pieces of stock styrene, Evergreen, brass- and aluminum-tubing and so on and so on!
Tonight or tomorrow night I'll wash the kitparts .. and plan my first move
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
I’ll be watching this one. My next ships going to be her sister.

Good luck in the contest.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi Neils,

Now, that's what I call taking the plunge! You have thought of everything and then more!

I look forward to following your build.

Frank
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Neils,

Now, that's what I call taking the plunge! You have thought of everything and then more!

I look forward to following your build.

Frank

I agree!
Nice choice, Mr. Frederiksen, looking forward to watching her grow in the slipway!
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 - 08:14 PM UTC
Thanks guys

Mark, by all means .... call me Niels .... Mr. Frederiksen is my dad

Well, the Yamato is started ... Yesterday I washed all the parts with a mixing of hot water, dish-soap and "Vanish Oxyaction" ... after then I cleansed all the parts in a bowl of clean, cold water ... and let them to dry in a couple of towels .... Over the next couple of weeks I'll do some research on the Ten-Go configuration ... plus look through all the parts, to figure out, which are good to go, which will need some good work, which will have to be completely redone and lastly but not least which will be switched with PE-parts.

I also have a couple of small projects that I'd like to get of my table .. and I'll use this period for this also!
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hey guys

Small update.

I've finally started some assembly, so I'll have some pictures ready for the first judging. However I suffer a bit from the fact, that I haven't received any of my LionRoar PE yet ..... My friend isn't the fastest in delivery ....but he's very fair to me regarding prices.

I'm really looking forward to see the new 1/700 Super Detail Set from Lionroar ... looks amazing ... it contains 9 frets of PE + 15 turned brass barrels .... http://www.lionroar.net/good.asp?goodsId=486&ssrc=pic/Ship/700103/0.jpg

Well, as I said .. I've started some assembly ...... I've started on the funnel... preparing the funnel-interior for some division-plates .... only to discover, that my GMM PE fret doens't contain any funnel-cage .... .... I don't know if this is because it's an older fret .. or if it's simply another fret ..... it says Yamato/Mushashi Fittings ....... oh well .. just another reason to look forward to the LionRoar set ..... contains a really nice cage.

However I'm not too happy about placing the divisionplates, before I have the cage ... because I wouldn't risk, having them out of alignment......(I really hope my friend has gotten the PE for me on Wednesday night, when I visit his shop ) But I'll continue on the funnel ... check if any of the steampipes needs to be improved .. and then I'll propably start on either the superstructure or the arnament ... depends on which is easiest to work on without the PE.

Have a great day, mateys!
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 09:32 PM UTC
This will be my "collection of bad excuses"

Well ... June didn't present much building time, due to different issues .... The most recent being, that I was fired to weeks ago....... Doesn't bother me much though, because I've been looking for a new job for half a year anyways ....... and it's not like I'm out of a job right away ... I have my job untill 30th of September .. so theres time to find a new job... however it means that at the moment my focus is at seeking new jobopportunities ... and not so much at building models

However I had planned alot of building time yesterday (Sunday) .. I just had to trim the hedge first ..... which resulted in dissturbing a big hornets nest, which had been hidding in the hedge .... and I was severly stung 6-7 times ... I didn't get an allergic reaction ..... but I didn't feel to well the rest of the day, and therefore didn't get to build anything.

I feel better today .. and plan to get something built tonight .. so I have something contructive to participate with ...... I'll take the chance, and work on the divisionplates in the funnel ... I think they'll give great detail to the funnel .....

Have a great day, mateys!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hi Niels,

I do hope your luck changes for the better!

Even if you don't get much completed on your model this month, you will still have another 11 months to catch up. This contest was planned for a full year so members like yourself who happen to get sidetracked with "real life" issues could still compete.

good luck Niels,

Frank
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 05:36 AM UTC
Here's hoping you feel better Niels.
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hey Guys

Thanks for the kind words .. I do feel better ... and tonight actually ended up with some good building-time -- which means that I actually have something to show .. weeeeeeeeeeee

First off .. the easy part ... the lower hull ..... I've just added the ribs for strengthening .. and cleaned up the seamline .. nothing fancy there sofar.

The rest of my evening has been focused on the funnel.

I thinned the inner wall of the funnel, to give me some more space the the detailing. Then I added the divisionplates in 0.5mm styrenesheet ... Way to thick scale-wise .. I know ... but I didn't have thinner sheet ... oh well ..

My plan was to add PE for the ladders in the funnel .... however there just wasn't enough space for them..... further more some scalecalculations showed me, that the ladders had to be only 0.3mm wide .. I know the PE ladders are small .... but not that small So instead I added some small strips of Evergreen .... some of them are visible as small grey strips ... I marked them with a pencil .. made it easier to position them on the white divisionplates.

Ohhhh .. show us the money .... or pictures that is

I still have some work on the funnel .... some cleaning up .. and puttywork on a nasty seamline .. plus some extra detailing ..... can't wait to get the PE detailing kit from LioRoar .. to see how the funnel looks, with the funnelcage mounted!

That's it for now .... but considering how slow a builder I am under normal circumstances ..... I think this was a pretty productive evening for me

Have a great evening, mateys!
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 04:25 PM UTC
hello Niels,
great job,the funnel looks great.did the hull ribs come with the kit or did you scratch build them?
cheers,
Bruce
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hello Niels,
great job,the funnel looks great.did the hull ribs come with the kit or did you scratch build them?
cheers,
Bruce

Hey Bruce

The ribs are part of the kit!
peterf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 426 posts
Model Shipwrights: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC
Looking very good, Neils, and the size of the project is daunting - all those parts! I can see why a year is a good time frame.

One thing I have discovered in the past though is that a build on the heroic scale is very impressive and will give you an excellent chance in this group build.

Best wishes, and I look forward to seeing more of your construction.

Peter F
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 08:46 PM UTC
Niels!
I hope you get your set soon! Good start there!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 09:59 PM UTC
First Build session Closed-Keep Modeling!
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hey guys

Sorry to say this .. but due to daily life, the jobsearch plus preparations for the summerholidays (both at work and at home) I've simply haven't found any building time .. and therefore there won't be any updates from me in July .... so sorry.

I hope to get back in buisness for the August session .. At that point I should also (hopefully) have received all my PE!
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC
hi Neils, hey never apologize when Real life gets in the way! I will probably also need to take a break at the beginning of the semester, when all those pesky students demand things like syllabi and reading lists! Cheers
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 09:52 PM UTC
Second Build Session Closed-Keep Modeling!
Removed by original poster on 10/01/08 - 08:51:28 (GMT).
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:51 PM UTC
"Build Session 4 closed-Keep Modeling!"
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 09:52 PM UTC
Community Build Session 5 Closed~Keep Modeling!
KrokoHunter
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 08:39 PM UTC
Hey Guys

Sorry for being MIA for so long. Daily life simply demanded a lot latey, so I haven't had either time nor energy for building really. Some of the things that.s taken up my time:

- Finishing tasks at my old job, before leaving it.
- Starting at a new job, with lots of projects, and lots of small fires to put out from day 1.
- Preparing for the delivery of our second child (hasn't happened yet )
- Building a new grand community for danish modelers

To mention a few

I know, I don't stand a chance in this competition anymore, but I still want to build this model, so I'll try to get back to it (I've also finally received all my PE.. will try to shoot some photos this weekend). I'm also going to focus on the Pre-Dreadnought Campaign with my Mikasa build.

Cheers guys!
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know, I don't stand a chance in this competition anymore, ...

Hi, Niels!
Still 175 points to be collected! Don't just give up!!!

Cheers,
Guido
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:07 AM UTC
Welcome back Niels!

No need to apologize for having a life! I look forward to seeing your build progress throughout the winter and next year!!

Frank
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:57 AM UTC
Great to see you back Niels.

I can completely understand how life gets in the way of modeling. Don't give up on the build. We're here for you.

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP