_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
New 1/350 Battleship from Aoshima
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Aoshima Models stopped by the news room to show off their upcoming 1/350 battleship. Which battleship? Follow the link to find out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gator
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 03:59 AM UTC
It's good news to me every time I hear about a new 1/350 WW2 warship release, but recent releases from Aoshima surprise me. They released a Kongo and now the Konig, both kits of which have already been (recently) released by other manufacturers. Why?
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 04:30 AM UTC
Nice! Glad folks are branching out some more and getting battleships of other countries. Now my biggest problem is should I or shouldn’t I.

Thanks for the heads up!

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 04:39 AM UTC
Actually, I'm rather happy they're doing the Konig. The ICM kit, while nice, has so much warping and other issues that after I finally got the decks on, I sat it aside. Haven't touched it in over a year because of the frustration. If Aoshima can do it better (very likely), I'll build theirs in a heartbeat.

As for the Kongo, it's almost the same story. Fujimi's has large gaps in the deck/ hull joining area and other annoying issues. Read my build log for more. It makes me wonder if perhaps they rushed it out just to beat Aoshima to market, and that Aoshima's may be better because they took more time...

Build Log for Fujimi's 1/350 Kongo
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC
I wonder if this is a new mold, or if they bought the molds for the ICM Konig.
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, I'm rather happy they're doing the Konig. The ICM kit, while nice, has so much warping and other issues that after I finally got the decks on, I sat it aside. Haven't touched it in over a year because of the frustration. If Aoshima can do it better (very likely), I'll build theirs in a heartbeat.

As for the Kongo, it's almost the same story. Fujimi's has large gaps in the deck/ hull joining area and other annoying issues. Read my build log for more. It makes me wonder if perhaps they rushed it out just to beat Aoshima to market, and that Aoshima's may be better because they took more time...

Build Log for Fujimi's 1/350 Kongo

I see your point. I guess if Aoshima's Kongo does turn out to be better than Fujimi's, I will be buying theirs instead.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder if this is a new mold, or if they bought the molds for the ICM Konig.

That same question has been in the back of my mind. It does seem strange to do a Konig out of the clear blue sky when it's much more logical to keep with the IJN and do a Fuso, since Hasegawa is doing the Ise. I guess we'll wait and see- I haven't done anything with ICM's Konig for so long anyway- I can wait.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 06:12 AM UTC
In a couple of years we should have the entire IJN line of cruisers and battleships in 350th scale. It's a natural progression for the Japanese market by Japanese model makers. It'll be the 'Belle Epoque' for us ship builders.

Frank
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 07:26 AM UTC
Don't forget Trumpeter seems to be dong the Euro BB's. They've let the Richelieu out and plan the Repulse shortly. Maybe a Nelson or a Littorio is next on their slate. Or another US crusier like the Baltimore
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 10:03 AM UTC
I really hope we see some of the IJN and USN CLs in 1/350. Gimme the Chicago CA-29 (my grandfather was in number 2 turret) and a Kuma (the Kiso) for starters. And yes, a 1/350 Baltimore in plastic. But yeah, I know that finishing out the heavies and BBs will take precedence. Still, Hasegawa doing that seaplane tender in 1/350 gives me hope for non-standard stuff.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 12:02 PM UTC
hello all,
this release will be in time for the WW1 Campaign,if anyone wants to sign up.Hint,Hint.
great news,hopefully there will be more releases for the WW1 ships,maybe a Austro-Hungarian ship,or a Italian BB.
cheers,
Bruce
conells
Visit this Community
Santander, Spain / España
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 08:01 AM UTC
is the ICM mold with eching part of aoshima, you can preoder
http://hobbyworld.aoshima-bk.co.jp/scripts/hw/seeke.aspx?seek_code=ABK08081801
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 09:16 AM UTC
Darn, the ICM mold is being used. That's a real heart breaker, but not unexpected. Then again, if Aoshima just plain uses better plastic than ICM (very likely- Aoshima's plastic is always good), that could make all the difference in the world. Some of the warping issues with the ICM release can be chalked up to sub-par plastic.
JMartine
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 03:17 AM UTC
I have the ICM Konig in my stash and TMM PE fret... .I guess im in for a rough time, was wondering if it was worth to ebay the ICM Konig and get the Aoshima down the road
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 04:51 AM UTC
You never know- I really think that with Aoshima's better plastic, the whole thing may come together much more nicely than the ICM release.

Here's another thing, my ICM kit had so much oil on the plastic that it had literally pooled. Needless to say, this kit spent an inordinate amount of extra time in a degreaser bath. That alone should tell you how much better Aoshima's release will be even using the same mold, as Aoshima has never had such issues (which is actually common in many Eastern European releases).
pimpdogbert
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 03:13 PM UTC
What would really be cool is to see this scaled down and made into 1/700th scale like Trumpeter.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC
To paraphrase a certain general, "Old molds never die, they just reused by other companies..."

While I'm glad an established company is keeping such an interesting model subject in circulation, I am not thrilled with the projected price--I think $50+ for the current, unenhanced kit is a bit steep, but I've found one can get a lot of mileage from the basic kit.

I'll show what I mean during the Great War campaign next year.

--Karl

P. S. How about some battlecruisers, huh?
JMartine
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 02:31 AM UTC
I picked up my ICM Konig + TMM PE for a bout 40$USD in Ebay a year ago. Will be awhile till I build it, need to improve my skills a lot first
 _GOTOTOP