_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
Weaving Extended Rope Bumpers
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:06 PM UTC
Crew-mate Hory Aycardo (hardright) gives us a step-by-step tutorial (his first submission) in weaving extended rope bumpers, in this MSW Feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 02:43 AM UTC
Normally I would not be too into the pink, but my tune has changed in the last year, but enough of that.

That is one very interesting skill to have. Thank your for sharing you process with us.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 05:23 AM UTC
This is a very cool solution to the problem that I was having, that is finding needles long enough and of the proper gauge to facilitate the length of the bumper/fender that you are trying to make...I really like the idea, and the end product is very good looking!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 06:20 AM UTC
That is a very cool idea! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kenny
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC
I just love these "do it yourself" feature - nice work!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 07:26 AM UTC
Very interesting process. It gave rise to an old skill I learned in the Boy Scouts when I did the Pioneering Merit Badge. It was called ropemaking. Seeing his jig recalled it.

We would attach pieces of twine at one end and at the other end there would be a block that we would thread them through. (Actually, you would thread first then attach). You would then turn the crank attached to the thread through end thus twisting the pieces together. Of course you kept tension on the line and just kept moving the crank section further back. When you got your length you cut and whipped it and repeated the process several times. After you had several woven sections you would run those through a larger version of the "rope machine" and thus make a rope. If you did this it would all make sense, or read about the process as described in the book, I am relying on a 38 year memory. I wuld think putting a something like a thin stiff wire for bendability in the middle and using thin sewing thread with 5 - 7 pieces might also do the trick.

Me, I'm lazy, I found lion roar has released a resin kit that runs $15 with free shipping from Lucky models and I also ordered it before I saw this article.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 07:30 AM UTC
Indeed we are always learning new (or remembering, after reading Mark's own feature) techniques!
Apart from the already mentioned color issue (we could always try to find a more rope looking color) all that is missing now is seing the end result in the LWS!

Thanks for sharing

Rui
hardright
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:10 PM UTC
Gents, thanks so much. I think if you use white cord for this purpose and then dunk it in a cup of day old left over brewed coffee (no milk or sugar), you can achieve the rope color you're looking for.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 04:33 PM UTC
This is beautiful work! Bravo Zulu!
For those of us interested in the LWS, but having too meaty fingers, Lion Roar just recently released a resin bumper. Just wanted to let you know!
Guido
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 05:47 PM UTC
Interesting technique, well presented. With Mark's, all bases are covered.
 _GOTOTOP