_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Pit Roads 1/350 IJN Seamen
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 09:57 PM UTC
MSW Crew-mate Dade W. Bell (Karybdis) gives us a closer look at Pit Roads new 1/350 scale IJN Seamen set !

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
Very nice little guys. Not only would it be nice to get some pilots but also some little fellas for the DKM and USN. What the heck some British guys would be nice as well.

Thanks Dade!

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 05:17 AM UTC
More little people... cant have too many, these look much better than the gingerbread men of yonder
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Personally I think Dade was a bit harsh in his rating. 40 different poses in 3d.at $16.... that alone warrents a 100% in my book. If you want blue, just paint them yourself like the Hasegawa figes. Now the only important thing who has them or is going to get them. This is a must have item
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

My reasoning for giving it a 95% was that I think the set could have been perfect if in place of one "set" of Class 2 white sprues, there could have been a "set" of Class 1 blue sprues (for a total of 2:1). At that point, the set truly would become pretty much all you need to outfit most ships. But by having the entire set be Class 2, there is a significant uniform class missing that keeps the set from being all you need. I think that's worth a mere 5% reduction.

As for painting the figures to be what you want, that goes against the very nature of what the product is and how it's reviewed-- which is as a pre-painted set.

BTW, you mentioned Hasegawa making figures. I haven't seen these figures- do you have a link?

Thanks guys!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, you mentioned Hasegawa making figures. I haven't seen these figures- do you have a link?

OOPS! I meant Fujimi. My Kongo goodie order is finally on the way from Japan. Does Pit Road come under a different name. I went searching for these little guys and the only company that even showed having Pitt Road was Hobby Link Japan and they don't list this item yet.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

Here's the page for them on Hobby Link Japan. They're very popular and on backorder already:
http://www.hlj.com/product/PITPSM-01

HLJ is also taking pre-orders for Set II found here:
http://www.hlj.com/product/PITPSM-02?nav=rss

Aoshima's Hobby World Japan also has Set II for pre-order:
http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/PIT08090109.aspx

Hobby World Japan and HLJ also have some JMSDF guys for pre-order:
http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/PIT08090110.aspx

I've got my pre-orders in sight unseen due to how impressed I was with Set I.

Pit-Road usually works in conjunction with Skywave or Trumpeter, but in this case, the product is released under their own name.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hey guys, Pit-Road's IJN Seamen Set 2 is out at HLJ. I decided not to grab this set (or the JMSDF set also just released) because I don't think I'll ever show any of my 1/350 ships at sea. And having figures on something mounted to a stand seems weird to me. I can't explain it- that's just me. So anyway, I pass the torch to anyone else who may want to buy these and review them. They look beautiful! And this set covers my gripe with Set 1 as this one contains guys in blue and khaki, so now all classes are represented.

IJN Seamen Set 2
 _GOTOTOP