_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Bismarck Battle Damage
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:41 AM UTC
Ok guys. I was re-watching James Camerons expdeition to the Bismarck lastnight on VHS, realizing the complexity of my situation in trying to do a model of the wreck. So far it's really starting to come along, and I hope to have more pictures up again soon....if Yahoo would actually work,.....but thats another story. My problem now is most of the battle damage is un-recorded. I don't know about many shell holes, the one in particular from the Prince of Wales fired as the Hood blew up next to her, then one that went through the forecastle and out the other side ( exactly where I dont know). The other thing I found puzzling, the structures where the lifeboats next to the funnel sat...on Cameron's computerized model they seem to be there, but according to Ballards book they don't. See what I mean? ha. I guess the reasoning behind it may be that no one has yet done a accurate survey of the wreck, or if they have they havent published those findings. If any of you guys out there know of anything, or have any advice I would appreciate it very much.

Rangers Lead the Way
Josh
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 04:17 PM UTC
did you get alook at the original article in National Geographic. I know they had a spead on the ship pointing out a lot of damaged areas. I have not seen any of your pictures but from what I gather you are trying to make a model of the wreck as it appears now. As most of the superstructure is long gone, I would concentrate on detaling the gun wells and the area in back where the tail section broke off. What's left of the superstructure and abovedeck wreckage I would work on from the pictures as presented. As I said earlier, I don't know what all you have in the way of reference. Would really love to see it when it's done though
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 04:40 PM UTC
There are some photos on the HMS Hood website, specifically if you go to http://hmshood.com/hoodtoday/2001expedition/index.html and then follow the links there should be enough to answer your questions.

There are also some more photo's on Channel 4's website, specifically http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/hood/news/gallery2.html

Cheers,
Linz
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 05:56 PM UTC
actually the stuff on the superstructure is what I'm aiming for. I need shell holes, the places where the hull broke away below the waterline from the topredos, stuff like that. I'm focusing on how to make the 16 inch shell hole across the bridge now. I'd really like to know exactly where the shell hole from the Prince of Wales is from when the Hood was blowing up. I have a few shell holes in my memory I need to add, and I have marked off where the torpedoes hit on the port side. I saw the line up in National Geographic years ago, and I think most of those pictures are in Ballards book, paintings and color photos.
Ill include a link to the Yahoo site I have of the 4 photos i could actually get up. Yahoo is being stupid, but I guess theres nothing new. I'm going out to buy film tomorrow I think so I can take some updated photos and show you where i stand at this point.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/nme2501/lst?.dir=/My+Models&.view=t ----theres the link

Rangers Lead the Way
Josh
 _GOTOTOP