_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS ARIZONA finally done
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 04:16 PM UTC
At least she’s done for now. I'll be the first to admit this is below par. It's my first ship in a long, long time, the first time I used acrylics, and my first campaign. I'm still going to probably fiddle with her but for now she's done.

I'm proud of my research, just not so proud of my execution. My plan was to make her as she was moments prior to the attack, the last moments of peace. Because of this I had to make some sacrifices. I didn't include the aircraft, as they were ashore at the time. I agonized over including the boats, technically they would have been in use, but I wanted some color. I compromised by including a few just for color. The thing that hurt the most was not including the American flag at the stern. The Arizona's crew didn't get it raised until part way into the attack.

Because of time constraints I didn't try anything fancy on her. I wanted to put up rigging, especially awnings at bow and stern. Because I've never done any rigging I was afraid to mess it up which would mean not being able to finish on time. For the same reason I didn't try any weathering. This could have ruined everything since I hadn't used acrylics before I was afraid I'd ruin them.

She makes a good display up high on my book case but I'm glad nobody but me is going to get a really good close up of her.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 04:30 PM UTC
She looks pretty good halfyank. When you get back into her, if you are venturesome get a PE set and put the rails up replace the cranes and yardarms with that PE and I think you'll move her down a level or two on your shelfs. Only one criticism, the blast bags around main guns were black. Hey at least 4 of us managed to finish from what I've seen so far. Of course me being unemployed gave me considerable more time to work on mine then everybody else.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Only one criticism, the blast bags around main guns were black. Hey at least 4 of us managed to finish from what I've seen so far.

Thanks for your imput. I didn't go with PE because of the rules of the campaign. I have a hunch PE and I aren't going to be the best of friends anyway. I'll stick to OOB for a while longer.

I saw info that the ARIZONA had both black and white blast bags at various times in the 30s and 40s. I think you're right, I should have gone with black. If I take her down in the future to play with her I'll change to black.

Who are the people who finished and where are the pics?

SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
HALFYANK GREAT JOB
CONGRATS

ROBERTO
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 06:36 PM UTC
Halfyank. I finished and had Yoda help me post. I think I titled my post "Arizona Launched". Nimitzfan finished, he did the samething,send into Yoda but I don't think they were posted. I think Yoda may have finished too. I got to use the PE set, cause I already had it on hand before the contest. I bought it when I bought the kit the year before. I hate bending all those little rails to twist around the decks, but man it sure looks great when the kit is complete.
 _GOTOTOP