_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 hanger deck for USS Enterprise
Navboyry
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:42 AM UTC
I've seen some very fine examples of scratchbuilt hanger decks on the Tamiya 1/350 big "E" I was wondering if somebody who has already built one could share some tips and especially measurements and photos taken during construction. I'm starting the big "E" soon and am not much of a scratchbuilder. However having been aboard several carriers and duly impressed by the hanger spaces; I think that no carrier model should be without it's hanger deck. So I'd really like to give it a try, but need a little help.

Thanks,

Ryan

superfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 40 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 09:25 PM UTC
Check out carrierbuilders.net Tons of stuff on the big E!...1/350 and larger scratchbuilt model of carriers...its got build logs and how to tips. There a guy there who has built a 1/72 scale of the big E from scratch! Awesome!

Hope this helps
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC
I just got some sheet styrene and cut to shape to do the floor. There is book called detail and scale that gives plenty of reference photos you could scratch from. Unless you provide interior lighting (using leds) you can't see much which is why I will limit my hangr deck to areas just what you can see from the open elevator doors. I just plan to put in a half dozen aircraft.
 _GOTOTOP