_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tamiya 1/350 Uss Enterprise
Navboyry
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:41 AM UTC
I'm starting a build of the tamiya Big "E". Ever since I saw the big E as built by Pekka Rautajoki onCarrier Builders I've wanted to do one of my own, now a few years later I'm about to realize that ambition. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and taking on a project that is too big for me, I hope to grow and become a better modeler beacause of it. So I've created a blog to record the build, hopefully you will stop by and offer tips, encouragement and constructive criticism.

My Build Log
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 09:55 PM UTC
Good Luck, Ryan,
Looking forward to watching her grow, as well as another shipwright pushing the limits...

We're here to help as well, mate, big projects are alot more fun!
~Gunny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:46 AM UTC
This is a great kit to build, but like all ships the Enterprise has changed her appearance and configuration over time. The kit is a pretty good representation of how she looked in the mid '80s but there are quite a few things the kit makers didn't get quite right.

If you haven't already got, get your hands on the Bert Kinzey book "The USS Enterprise in detail and scale" (D&S Vol. 39). This book is a treasure trove of photos from all over the ship during this period and show great details which will help in correcting the errors.

Also, as you've pointed out, Pekka Rautajoki's build and photos are superb in getting the details right.

Looking forward to watching your build!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 08:56 AM UTC
Ryan:

Took a look at your blog. I haven't really dug into my kit yet and probably won't for some time. But I did fool around with setting up a hanger deck. I used pieces of normal sprue to set up a"platform" to glue the hanger deck to. I also strongly strongly urge you to scrap the Tamiya aircrafdt and replace what you can with the trumpeter versions. It's the difference between toy and model kit Do a bit of research and see what you need and can use. I bought tons of the Tamiya plane sets then got smart and got 2 sets each of the Tomcats and Hornets. I might replace the Intruders later I did the Nimitz with the Phantoms and all that from Trumpeter and when I saw the comparison btwn them and what Tamiya had. WOW !!!
Navboyry
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 06:59 PM UTC
I cannot find the Detail and Scale for under $100 anywhere, and I'm not going to drop $100+ on a non-textbook (believe me I spend too much on books this semester) There are lots of photos on the 'net to reference from, I'm building quite a stash.

I'm not a rivit counter, I just want to build a good looking model to sit in my room and impress the hell out of my friends.
Navboyry
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:15 PM UTC
I officially got started today when I glued the bow to the rest of the ship.

And detailed the tomcat that will be landing. I'm modeling the ship as she appeared while she was being used to film "Top Gun", gives me an excuse to watch and rewatch Top Gun. Yay!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:09 PM UTC
Dude:

You are missing a big upgrade by not getting those trumpeter Tomcats. They already have the wheels (not pegs) a claer separate canopy you could position open if you were inclinedand you can choose on each and every one if you want wings open or closed. Still would have to scratch the landing gear doors.
Navboyry
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 05:46 PM UTC
The trumpy planes may be in the future, I just bought this kit and will be buying an airbrush/compressor tomorrow effectivly zapping my modeling funds for a while. I'm going to use the tamiya planes for now . . .but might upgrade them later. I'm focusing on detailing the ship for now.
 _GOTOTOP