_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 Tamiya Yamato question
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 118 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:23 AM UTC
Is the current kit still the same as in about 1995? Or have there been any updates?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
Try around 1983 and yes it is still the same. However there are several PE sets that do a real nice job of upgrading from simple and cheap to down right complex and expensive. I am pretty sure there are some resin upgrades for AA guns, replacement main gun/turret sets and I do believe I recently saw one of those real wood decks. I've built 2 (1 Ibackdated to early 1942 version) so far and have another in the stash I may backdate to Phillipine Sea (late 44) time frame.
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. Luckily the Tamiya Yamato is one of the cheaper models (still well done iIrc), so there might be room for PE.
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC
Are there any parts that allow either of the two Yamato/Musashi to become a 1942 version or would I need to do that myself? I'm thinking of the superstructure / bridge base mainly, where I think both models come with mounts for either 18x25mm or 12x12.7cm.

How did you do it? All manual? And what does it look like, if you don't mind asking.
DMcGillavry
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 104 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hello Jay,

Try Lion Roar P.E. set for Yamato. Every day I am opening its box like artifacts. Its our precioussssstsss...

Serhan
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
Yes, it's great, but it doesn't give me another two 155mm turrets and a different deck structure around the bridge. Unless I missed it, that is.

The cool thing about the Yamato is, even with all the PE, it's still cheaper than some of the latest 1/350 releases are out of the box.
DMcGillavry
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 104 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hello Jay,

You can copy 155's with rtv and cast resin . There are usefull information about backdating Model Art Super illustration Yamato and Model Art IJN Battleship Guide magazines.

Regards
Serhan
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:26 PM UTC
Jay

I am the guy who backdated the Yamato in 350 scale about a year and a half ago. I did a write up with pictures and the works. Take a look at the list of stuff. I think I have a couple of the resin 155 turret casts left. I used the evergreen sprue in 2 different diameters to to make the guns for these turrets. But read the article and buy the materieals. I got the expensive Anatomy of a ship The yamato which is pretty much a must have as you really need those detailed drawings to get it right.
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 06:24 PM UTC
Alright, so it would be the hard way. I'll take a look at the article. Thank you!
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 253 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Yes, you have to find Mr Skulski "Yamato" or polish "short version" of this book
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
If you use these five books for research, you're basically covered for **anything** that may come up:
(L-R): Anatomy of The Ship: The Battleship Yamato, Iron Battle Wagon Model Graphix Navy Yard Special Issue, Model Art Super Illustration IJN Yamato, Model Art Modeling Guide IJN Yamato, Gakken IJN BB Yamato & Musashi.

I've been using these for my 1/250 Musashi build and they're perfect for anything Yamato (especially the Modeling Guide)...
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
Guys, I'm just trying to built a 1/350 plastic image of the ship, not a 1/1 rebuilt.

Most of the Anatomie series is quite alright, I have a few of them already. The Yamato book is supposed to be one of the best in that series, so I guess I'll be getting one in time.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
In all honesty, the backdating is not that hard. Pretty much take the middle deck piece and chop everything away from superstructure. There are a few other pieces you save. I got some N guage boxcar sides from everygreen or plastic struct as it closely mimics the deck scribbing. You have to plug up most of the 20mm gun holes as they weren't used real extensivly and re-arrange some of the bigg AA guns in the middle. Fabricate or buy another Yamato kit to get the additional 155 triple gun turrets. I think there is some re-arranging of the masts and with a good PE set you'll get a decent representation....not a perfect copy. Though if you are a really dedicated superdetail scratchbuilder, well....that one is up to you.
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:18 AM UTC
I've bought the kit and it is in fact different from the one I had some years ago - it does no longer contain the optional electric drive. I used it last time, but didn't plan to use it this time, so it's no loss. The rest of the kit is about what I remember. I also got a copy of Anatomy of Yamato, which is another good one in the series. Some interesting information on details I didn't know before.

Did anyone ever manage to install the electric drive and put the model onto a lake? I never made it past my bathtub.

I'll leave the backdating to Musashi, which I don't find as appealing in the final configuration as Yamato. As completed, there probably weren't many differences between the two ships, so I think I can use Anatomy of Yamato as reference. I also found Steves feature, nicely done, this is what Yamato/Musashi should look like!
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 190 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 - 05:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did anyone ever manage to install the electric drive and put the model onto a lake? I never made it past my bathtub.

The Tamiya kit I have has the gearbox in it but I had to scrounge around for an electric motor to put in it. I never made it past the bathtub either but that ship sure goes fast when you hook a 9-volt battery up to it.
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 06:25 PM UTC
I'm not sure that the AAA layout of Tamiyas Yamato is correct, I found various layouts in a number of books. I'd like to know if the single mounts were still on board and if there were extra gun platforms for the AAA on the stern. Has anyone ever come across a decent picture of Yamato in her final configuration? The only one I know is the US photograph showing the big mushroom cloud of Yamatos final explosion, everything else is too low res to see something.

Dade, is there anything in the books you've shown? If you check page 36/37 in Anatomy f the ship you'll see a layout very different from the Tamiya model, but no photos.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I sail mine every now and again on a nearby lake. The hobby store had a motor in their RC airplane section that was a perfect fit and snapped right in the molded hull motor box . A Futaba digital starter set, a ESC unit from another brand and a clearance Nikko rechargable battery all hooked together make for some pretty nice sailing.

If you can still find the older gray box it comes with the gearing to make it RC. The newer black box doesn't have this.

My paint job was awful as it was one of my first ship models. Still looks good on the lake and I usually get quite a few stares and questions.

If anyone else is interested for the details on making this a RC model they can PM me. There are a few things to watch out for.
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 11:13 PM UTC
I'd definitely like to see a picture of your model at speed.
 _GOTOTOP