_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Nelson proposed project
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC
I am considering what I admit to be an ambitious project: the Nelson in 1:350 scale. I like her lines and have the Tamiya kit as a "learning"kit...and I have heard somewhere that someone used the Tamiya KG the V model as a doner kit ...any one have any imput?
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

You of course realize that the moment you complete this vast undertaking,... it'll undoubtedly be released by Trumpeter!

....so with this said, by all means we're all 100% behind you!

Frank

P.S. I do have one (or two, can't recall right now,... currently in Sudbury) of the Polish books on the Nelson, if you'd like I could drop it off at your place or you could drop by the south end of Guelph, I'll be home Wed. night for four days.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 01:20 PM UTC
Many Many thanks Frank! I had a good face to face with our freind at the Resin Shipyard today( he showed me his brand spankin new photo-etch sets!!! ) and he did indeed mention that Trump was planning on a release of the Nelson in 1:350 scale...yet he also said it could be a long time coming......I would indeed be honoured if you would lend me your books...I am in Beaverton but I am planning on attending Hamilton show in Feb also...Im going to bring a little something to put on the tables I think..
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 01:35 PM UTC
If I'm in town, I'll definitely attend the Hamilton show, and bring the books, you're welcome to borrow them, if I miss the show, there's always our show in Guelph in March (WEL-CO-ME XIII,... Wellington County Modelling Exposition). Either way, I'll see you soon.

Frank

P.S. I picked up Darren's Haida at Torcan last year, hope to start her this year.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
I always have a BLAST at WELLCOME and the only reason I dont think Ill be attending this year is the fact that I have a chance to carpool to Hamilton and need to save $$$$ .....but Guelph is my fav show in Ontario..would have been there last year if it hadnt snowed like the devil (ps--I think I was standing beside you as you bought your Haida ...my wife and I were looking at the 1:350 scale flower class Corvette...)
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 01:50 PM UTC
If it was a tall goofy looking guy with a crew cut,... then yes!

Frank
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 04:26 PM UTC
lol...yep...that was you !!
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi Jim . I`m the culprit! I have just finished 350th HMS Rodney,using a Mini-hobby POW hull as a basis.Worked out pretty well.Pease see links below,cheers phil

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22981
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
THATS IT !...thank you sir ..I had seen your thread several months ago and neglected to bookmark it ..many thanks!
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi Jim!

Here's a side-by-side of a KGV hull and a Nelson: while similar in length and sheer, please note that the bow is much finer on the Nelson and that she has a lot less flare to the forecastle than a KGV.

The main deck is wider amidships and aft on the Nelson, too. This makes sense since the design had to support the superstructure all the way aft.

My verdict: it's easier to scratchbuild the hull than to force fit from an existing KGV. As for other parts, it may be less wasteful to use KGV PE sets and make your own structures.

Good luck!

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
ummm.....im thinking mabe thats a bit more than I can chew ......at least for now ..
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ummm.....im thinking mabe thats a bit more than I can chew ......at least for now ..

Hi Jim!

It sounds daunting at first, but it really all comes down to quality reference material.

In fact, I'd say that a Nelson is probably the ideal first-time scratch build capital ship because of the design's overall simplicity: almost no compound curves for the hull (especially for a waterline version), a flush deck, and boxy turrets and superstructure.

Perhaps you should reconsider: it could be a fun opening to making your ships.

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC
Very true
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I completely agree with Karl,... I'll be home tomorrow night, and will search out my Nelson references, I'm positive that the books I have will be the foundation for a great scratch build.... I've got to take my Matrix in for an oil change thursday morning, and could pop by (...no pressure to clean the house, I'll just say hi at the door and leave you the books ).

Frank
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim,

I completely agree with Karl,... I'll be home tomorrow night, and will search out my Nelson references, I'm positive that the books I have will be the foundation for a great scratch build.... I've got to take my Matrix in for an oil change thursday morning, and could pop by (...no pressure to clean the house, I'll just say hi at the door and leave you the books ).

Frank

My hull was worked off Burt's drawings from his World War II book.

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
I am in agreement,gentlemen. A waterline scratch of the Nelson in 1:350 is just insane enough to appeal to me...and as I have said ,my scedule is rather free these days due to downsizing ..lol...doing a waterline hull in wood with a plastic skin would work I think....now I just have to think what to do for the decks (planking)..possibly scoring a razor saw that has been fastened into a jig across sheetstock..hhmmnnnnn..of course I would have to consider this a group effort due to the fact that without the reference materials and wonderful encouragement of you guys I wouldnt embark upon such a path..Id have to submit pics and a story to Mark for his approval..but remember guys ..Iv NEVER completed a ship...I have only done subs ..
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi Jim!

To produce my Nelson hull, I used photocopied scale drawings from Roberts' & Raven's "British Battleships of World War II", a waterline template traced from a 1:700 kit and scaled up, .080 sheet syrene to form the waterline base and centerline profile, balsa block stiffeners, .020 sheet styrene for the shell plating, and a specially-ordered 24-inch sheet of Evergreen scribed styrene (.030 v-groove spacing) for the deck.

Because of the simplicity of the ship's design, I was able to craft the waterline hull and main deck in two modeling sessions. Just be careful about the low freeboard: since I used lengthy sheets of .020 styrene to make a continuous run for the sides, it can make handling the narrow plastic section a handful for such a long model. And yes, I do apply excess material and then trim to shape along the waterline and deck edge after the adhesive sets.

Have fun!

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC
excellent advice Karl ..Ill look into the sheetstock..
I am going to break this project into 5 basic components:
1- hull and deck
2-superstructure
3-masts
4-guns and AA
5-base(water component)
I think this could be an interesting project because it utilizes several things:the camoflaged ship campaign,the water bases campaign,and scratchbuilding...I think we all could learn something from a project like this..
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

excellent advice Karl ..Ill look into the sheetstock..
I am going to break this project into 5 basic components:
1- hull and deck
2-superstructure
3-masts
4-guns and AA
5-base(water component)
I think this could be an interesting project because it utilizes several things:the camoflaged ship campaign,the water bases campaign,and scratchbuilding...I think we all could learn something from a project like this..

You're right, you can cover several bases with this project.

For the camo campaign, I'll think I'll contribute the Prince of Wales. I just found some imagery of HMS Express' scheme, and with the new injected molded 1:350 figures, I can finally execute that abandon ship dio I've wanted for 20 years!

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC
sounds really neat Karl...I have the image of that battleship upside down rocking side to side with all those men on top...yours will look very cool and original
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
Actually, the Prince's diorama will be based on the famed picture of her crew passing over to the Express.

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC
oops ...sorry Karl I guess I didnt express myself effectively ..sorry
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hi Jim!

Though you know, the image of the overturned Blucher at Dogger Bank or the Austrian dreadnought capsizing in the Adriatic are cool scenes. In fact, a 13-year old modeler pulled off just that scene in 1:600 a few years back....

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:42 PM UTC
I honestly dont know which ship it was I saw in that clip ...I just remember seeing it belly up and realizing in horror that those little things moving around on it were men, and that the ship was rocking back and forth like hell,probably due to the air escaping...it was very graphic for me to watch ..thats what I was referring to earlier ...And I must say I love the look of those Austrian ships ...
I am looking a little deepoer into the Nelson Project and Im thinking of photo etch ...Ill probably have to use the WEM sheet for the King George V and BMK barrels
wolfpack6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC
Evenin Jim, just to lend a helping hand, Nautalis Models makes a generic deck planking in various lengths and widths.
Hope this helps
 _GOTOTOP