_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A great time to be a IJN Modeler
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
I'm amazed to see all the IJN kits, aftermarket parts and upcomming releases posted on the website. I feel that 350 scale is becomming well represented and 700 scale are being well represented buy the manufacturers. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but, why now? Why the sudden interest in the IJN the past two years and this year?

And my usual rant and wish: We need a new tooled 1/700 scale Kaga!
Removed by original poster on 01/27/09 - 22:13:30 (GMT).
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm amazed to see all the IJN kits, aftermarket parts and upcoming releases posted on the website. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but, why now?

Well, as brother Bluto said to Larry Kroger on the choice of pledge name in Animal House:

"[Belch]...Why not?!!!!"

--Karl
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
I think the main reason ship building in general is witnessing a resurgence is market saturation in other hobby aspects. Nearly every popular plane, tank, and car has been done to death (if I had a Nagato or Fuso for every Tiger...). Look at how many "converts" we've been seeing lately-- guys like Dave and Joseph. The newer ship kits (and those yet to be produced) are starting to get press with the newer releases and awesome displays the manufacturers put at shows like Shizuoka. So, it brings people into the fold for increased business. And since most of those manufacturers are based in Japan with a thriving home market, the IJN is a sure fire business winner (these models would do very well without ever leaving Japan).

I'm very thankful that with the internet and open global communication, it's easy for guys like us to obtain these great kits without having to go through an army of middle men, etc. Before there was always a bottleneck in the pipeline, so manufacturers weren't as sure of what people wanted. But now... As you say, it's a great time to be an IJN modeler!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hi Dade,

... any luck in procuring the 350th Akitsushima sea plane tender?... and have you heard anything that might give us a glimmer of hope that it'll be released in plastic? (with the amount of PE in the resin release, the cost isn't too bad)

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:41 PM UTC
Howdy Frank,

Yes,one is on the way. The reason for the delay is because Hasegawa decided that the PE set wasn't up to par, so they held up the process to get it right. She's supposed to ship out sometime in February. With the quality standard of the resin and the fairly high total cost (you get a lot for the money as you say, but nonetheless), I'm really happy that the Big H is keeping the quality control high. A review will go up ASAP when she hits my doorstep.

As for a plastic version, I haven't heard anything about if they're doing one or not...
DMcGillavry
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 104 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hello,

I want more books about IJN in English. My eyes got crossed because Hiragana and Kanji letters on Gakkens and Model Art stuff

Model Art Ship Modeling Special's are realllllly gems for IJN fans. I paid up to 80usd for first issues.

Only thing I can do is lookin to photos before fell sleep

Too bad!

Regards,
Serhan

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi Serhan, you may want to check out this book:
Iron Battle Wagon
DMcGillavry
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 104 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:25 PM UTC
Thank you for the link Dade,

I already have it in my stash.

Regards
Serhan
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:19 PM UTC

Ahh Carl you have quoted from one of my all time favorite movies. Unfortuatly they cut out the real reason he was named Pinto. When the upperclassmen burst into the room to announce the pledge acceptance, Flounder didn't make it. He was given a second chance if he could tell something real private about Larry (Pinto). Of course he did. Apparently when pinto was young he got tar spilled on his wee-wee giving it a mottled appearance. So the line should have been...."Because you have a spotted dick!!!!!"
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:37 AM UTC
I have to agree with the quality and quantity of new ship kits coming out. As Dade mentioned I'm a recent convert to ship kits, I haven't built one in over 30 yrs. For me it was partly a matter of WW2 vehicle saturation point as Dade alluded to, with certain armour kits being done to death. The other part has been just sitting back and waiting for the particular kits to come out that I was interested in.

I've had a couple of Tamiya 1:350 ships kicking around in the stash for years, but never had the desire to start them till recently. 1:700 kits didn't do too much for me. When I saw the new Hasegawa 1:350 Akagi come out I new I'd be hooked and want to finally start some ships. I can say the same for the Revell 1:72 U-boat kits. I tend to lean towards kits I have a personal interest in, as do most of us I'm sure.

I used to play an old Avalon Hill boardgame called "Victory in the Pacific" and my friend always wanted to play the Allies. So years of playing as the Japanese has created a real interest in the Japanese navy of WW2, especially the carriers. So, as a new person to ship modelling I can't help but think I'm getting into it at just the right time with all these wonderful new releases coming out!

I'm in trouble though if they crank out a lot of new Japanese carrier kits, or maybe a new "Big E" kit. Hard enough to explain the un-built stash as it is

My 2 cents

Joseph
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahh Carl you have quoted from one of my all time favorite movies. Unfortuatly they cut out the real reason he was named Pinto. When the upperclassmen burst into the room to announce the pledge acceptance, Flounder didn't make it. He was given a second chance if he could tell something real private about Larry (Pinto). Of course he did. Apparently when pinto was young he got tar spilled on his wee-wee giving it a mottled appearance. So the line should have been...."Because you have a spotted dick!!!!!"

Ah, the stuff only guys would care about....

--Karl
 _GOTOTOP