_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Help!
zg2150
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
I just inherited a very detailed hand built scale model ship that my grandfather built. During shipping, three masts were broken at the top. I'm trying to locate someone who would be able to repair this in or around the Pittsburgh, PA area. Any help, direction, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 08:39 PM UTC
Sorry I can't help, sailing ships are tough becasue of all that rigging. IF I wre to try to doit, I probably would cut the masts free after charting the rigging, re attach the masts and after they had set up for a week then go back and re-rig the lines I had cut away. ONe is a mess, but 3 is a semi-disaster. My personal bet is that it is going to be a pretty expensive under taking....good luck.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hi Zack

My advice would be to try and make contact to any LHS or Modeling Club in your area... There you will probably find any seasoned modeler used to work in wood ships/sail ships.
After that it is a question of reaching an agreement

Hope you can find the right modeler to fix your grandfather's model
Rui
zg2150
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 06:38 AM UTC
Here are some pictures of the damage. I apologize if any of my terminology is incorrect. I know nothing about model ships.

It is "Flying Fish - Boston 1851." About 3 feet long from front to back. Ironically, it was damaged by the case that was intended to protect it. For someone like me with no shipbuilding experience, this is way beyond anything I'd be comfortable attempting myself.

Side view of ship

Front view of ship. Only top section was damaged.

Back mast snapped in half

Main mast broken at brace point

Another view of the main mast
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC
that looks like the cutty shark. Right now one around 27 inches made of wood is bidding for only $15. I have bought a couple of similar ones and they ar pretty nice. Looking at the damage done to the one you show. Man that is severe. The cost of repairing that will probably set you back more than the cost of just buying a new one. If you have som esenimental value attached that may be the issue, if you are wanting to have a nicelooking model....get a replacement. search ebay under antiques, maritime, model ships. There are several companies in HOuston and LA that sell really nice wooden ships totally built on this section. You do better by bidding based on the name of the ship and the size you might pick one up for $80 - $200 plus shipping
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 04:18 AM UTC
Here is what I would do in your case. This depends on if there is a bit of slack in the rigging if there isn't this likely won't work.

The back mast looks like it might be the easiest to fix. Take some wood glue and squirt some on a peice of cardboard. Take a pin or tack and dip it in the wood glue and put a small to fair amount on the break. Then carefully upright the rear mast correcting the present rigging.and try to match up the break points as best as you can. You can buy a set of small plastic clamps from your local dollar store. It looks like a small one might fit over the break point until the glue dries.

The main mast looks more difficult because of its location. Try the same as above but the clamps are not going to work in this area. You might have to hold the peice by hand until the glue sets. Small amounts of wood glue dry fairly quickly though. If that doesn't work, I'd find some string that looks like the rigging ropes and tie it to the mast and then weave over-under and around the yardarm and mast to make a rope joint. it might not look the best, but it will be a plausable repair.
 _GOTOTOP