_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
1/350 Mogami
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi All,
I've noticed something.
At the page top advert banner the 1/350 Tamiya Mogami is listed at £121.50.
Isn't this a little steep?
I'm not a Japanese Navy ship afictionardo I'd prefer to build Atlantic/Med serving ships, so I wouldn't be buying one anyway but is this the 'norm, for IJN?
TTFN
Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 10:07 PM UTC
Prices are jumping. At first you could scoer an AC or BB for around $100. Then it was $135 now it is right around $210 with some gong as much as $340. So at this time a crusier is running $120 and we all know Tamiya is awful proud of thier stuff, so no the price is not that unusual.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
I believe this is a case of the retailer or distributor raising the price.

£121.50 is actually kinda high as the kit costs nowhere near that in Japan. The kit costs 11,000 yen, which is only about £80 at averaged exchange rates. Averaged because exchange rates bounce around so much... Sometimes even with shipping, it'll be cheaper coming from Japan, but it's good to shop around.

Give HLJ or HWJapan a shot...

http://hlj.com/product/TAM78021

HWJapan has it for only 8,800 yen which may work out for you...

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/TAM78021.aspx

PS: There was already a semi-heated discussion about ship pricing where those in the industry (including myself FWIW) were called "greedy" for various prices . I'm begging anyone considering going down this path again, to stop. It is essentially a variation of the "political argument" and all it does is cause bad blood. So please think twice before making a post about this as there are many here who either participate or lurk, who will be hurt by such remarks.
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Can someone tell why the Tamiya Mogami,costs 11000 yen in Japan and costs £120+ in the UK.Whereas the Trumpeter Admiral Lasarev costs 14000 yen,yet is priced at £90 here??Doesn`t add up to me,another case of Rip-Off Britain??
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC
The reason for the two different costs could be different importers maybe. Not sure if that is the reason or not.

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Jim, you're right. There are a lot of variables that happen between importers, different countries of origin, taxes, levies, and many many other factors. For example, using Phil's above examples, we can look at the prices of two models in three countries. All prices at current exchange rate, but it's better to think high to average for economic fluctuations:

Tamiya 1/350 Mogami
11,000 yen (£60 at exchange, $110), $191 Stevens MSRP (£104 at USD to GBP), £120 UK

Okay, the US has a better lead in the home price ratio than the UK (£16), but still far behind the home market in Japan. Still, note how when you compare rates directly in the home Japanese market, the UK comes out fine in a direct exchange with the Japanese. Because of course, the process between buyer and product is more direct, and shipping hasn't been added in (of course the UK and US distributors have to factor in this cost to their prices).

Now, lets look at Phil's other example:

Trumpeter 1/350 Admiral Lazarev
14,000 yen (£76.38 at exchange, $140), $159.95 Stevens MSRP (£87.26 at USD to GBP), £90 UK

Obviously, it's cheaper outright from Japan, but not by all that much. And after shipping (which again the distributor has to pay to bring the kit to your LHS)...

Yes, the US gets a slightly better deal, but at a difference of £2.74, I wouldn't really say that Britain is getting "Ripped-Off". Especially when one considers the vastly larger trade routes that go directly from China's shores (and Japan's for that matter) to America's. Again, a bunch of other variables have to get factored in such as tarriffs, taxes, and so on.

Each country is different and dealing on a country by country basis can get really weird. Which is why I always hate to do the old "Company A from Country A versus Company B from Country B" comparisons. They simply can't be done in a proper comparison. Note how the Trumpeter product actually is less of a "deal" when bought from Japan. It's better to just buy it outright from your own country because the Japanese price on the Chinese product isn't that much better. Why? Because we're dealing with products moving through THREE different countries now...

A perfect example of how sometimes the three country idea can work better, is how it's occasionally cheaper for me to buy something from France by having it sent from a shop in the UK than by just doing it from France itself. Three countries and yet cheaper than direct. Is America getting "Ripped Off" by the French? No, of course not. But, it just so happens that the transfer from France to the UK, then UK to US is cheaper sometimes than from France to the US. There are just plain a lot of factors involved when dealing with a global economy.

Heck, I've probably had the most headaches dealing with the Canadian mail service and our countries are right next to each other. The mind boggles when I think about what some of these really big companies (like Tamiya) have to go through...

Okay, speaking of boggling the mind, my mind is about ready to switch off from all of this big thinking so I'll be quiet now before whatever neurons are left implodes. But I hope this helps to clear some of these variables up.
GVoakes
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Heck, I've probably had the most headaches dealing with the Canadian mail service and our countries are right next to each other. The mind boggles when I think about what some of these really big companies (like Tamiya) have to go through...

Dade,

FWIW, I've had more headaches dealing with Canada Post than any other mail services as well, and I live there!

Grant
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 05:20 PM UTC
Dade: That is one way of looking at it. But one knows the price right up front beforehand, and its only a "rip-off" if you are forced into spending the price - and no one is forcing you!
Another way of looking at it which can put it into perspective is to compare the price of any big kit with all the intricate design and fabulously detailed engineering and craft that goes into it with what it will cost you to replace the plastic taillamp or headlamp lens on your car. One slug of plastic, maybe several sections of differently colored panels, no great tolerances. Check it out. Couple of hundred dollars, easy. In comparison, ship, armor, airplane kits at any price are dirt cheap.

Stephen
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 05:57 PM UTC
Grant, I feel your pain. I'm glad it's not just me seeing the postal weirdness.

Stephen, you'll notice that I don't complain about the actual price of the model. As stated, I'm in the model industry, and while I only lay out instructions, I'm well aware of just how much hard work goes into model production. My post was more of an explanation of why models cost different prices for different countries and not a judgment on the prices of the models themselves (all the stuff that I added to the Kongo could easily pay for two Mogamis). I honestly believe that the Mogami is priced surprisingly low for what it is, and things like 8,800 yen from HWJapan is a steal.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 04:27 AM UTC
What's the best USA price anyone has seen?? So far I think www.freetimehobbies.com is at $139.00
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hi Dade: Sorry you thought you had to explain yourself. I was really speaking to the general point that Phil had raised, one that I think occurs to all of from time to time in these times as we see rising price trends. While I was supporting your position with my example, I should have been more precise and addressed my post to Phil himself. Thanx, Stephen
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's the best USA price anyone has seen?? So far I think www.freetimehobbies.com is at $139.00

That seems to be about the best that I had seen. I did want to get one, but originally I passed. I ended up getting mine from HW Japan, even with shipping it was cheaper.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 04:58 AM UTC
Dade - I always appreciate your 'angle" on things and pricing... "expensive" is relative anyways, and no one is pointing 16" barrels at anyone to buy anything.

I HAVE noticed some vendors drastically cut the prices of the high-end kits after a few months..for example, Great models currently has the hasegawa IJN BB Mutsu With Detail Set at $154.95 about 50 USD cheaper than other sources.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 07:59 AM UTC
Has anyone picked up the Mogami? What is available in PE for it. Has anyone noticed the yen has dropped in value. It is below a penny now, I keep hoping they'll issue the Shokaku and save about 4 or 5 dollars that way.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC
Steve,

My Mogami is on its way to me from Japan.

Freetime Hobbies has a list of AM products for the Mogami. They are almost all from Yankee Modelworks. I am sure somebody will do a dedicated set of PE for her. I have seen brass barrels for the main guns, but I forget who makes those.

I am guessing mine should be here within a week, it was sent SAL on 3/31. When she arrives get ready for a review.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
Look forwardto it. I am going to pass on this one becasue I have the Ise. If they come out with the regular HC version either the Mikuma or the Suzuya I'll likely take a bite. I still have not picked up a Takao version yet. Keep hoping for an under $100 sale on her.
Fotodvr
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 10:36 AM UTC
Check out HLJ.com. Seems they have an overstock of the Mogami and are now offering it at $77.00. That plus shipping is a bargain!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check out HLJ.com. Seems they have an overstock of the Mogami and are now offering it at $77.00. That plus shipping is a bargain!

that sounds great !!!! would you know how much approx total cost to the east coast ???
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

that sounds great !!!! would you know how much approx total cost to the east coast ???

KNowing what I aid for mine you should get it for around $92.00 shipped SAL. Express would be rather expensive.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 12:08 PM UTC
Well CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There went all my good intentions of containing myself. I placed my order. $77 was too low to resist. WQe'll see what comes down the pike for PE, several options for main gun replacements.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 04:22 AM UTC
I tried to order mine from HL but they quoted me a total of $145.00 including shipping.I figure for that price I will stay local and order from Freetime or Greatmodels for a few more dollars.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 08:04 AM UTC
Well, now I know why I paid so much for shipping. The bloody thing showed up on my doorstep this morning. 5 days from the time I initially ordered it. Not even Great Models when they have the item in the warehouse is that fast. Only Squadron could have beaten that time and that is becasue they are down the road about 15 miles or so . Well it is an impressive kit. We'll see what PE is available for it. Definitely needs railings and it looks like I may have to under the deck stuff, though I haven't gotten around to really looking at the kit yet. Fritz absolutely loved the shipping box. He started attacking it as soon as it came in the door. I got him to stop long enough to retrieve the model and then let him have it. So both of us are happy campers. Man that is one big ship
 _GOTOTOP