_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Help with wooden decks - Bismarck
stevedb227
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 12:42 PM UTC
I am setting up to rebuild a 1/350 Tamiya Bismarck (after our cat destroyed the first one....and yes she is still alive). Having repurchased all the PE and accessories needed I read online about laying wooden decks. I have read a couple of blogs about them and would like to know which of the following is the best method. Either lay the wood over the existing plastic deck or create a full wood planked deck and cut all the ships upper fittings and attach them to the deck?

Any opinions on which way to go would be appreciated.

Thanks
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC
There are some wooden decks out in the market. They ar paper thin wood and may require removing some of the molded on items. I am pretty sure Bismark is one of the ships on the list. Dade I think knows the company that has this one. It ain't cheap, but I think in the long run it is far better because about half the folks I know that do the cut the strips quit after a while and have a messed up kit because of it.
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi Stephen: KA Models of Korea makes a wood deck kit (veneer with adhesive backing) for the Revell Bismarck, you can get it through Hobby Link Japan, but it will not fit with the Tamiya kit: I know, I have both and they don't match up. So don't go there. I heard a rumor that Lion Roar is going to release a wood deck set for the Bismark later on this year, but I don't know if that is a good rumor or not, and it was not specific as to what kit it was for. This would be important, as scale of parts, fittings, and spacing of turret bases, etc., varies from kit to kit, and the fit of a wood veneer deck has to be, and can be, perfect, or it will look like ...crap. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone knows more and better on this! Stephen Too.
 _GOTOTOP