_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Tamiya IJN Mogami 1/350
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!!

Join me for an in-box review of Tamiya''s newst kit the IJN Mogami in 1/350 scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:31 AM UTC
Great review Jim, I too have picked up this model and hope that AM folks release some dedicated PE as Tamiya does not seem as interested in offering additional detail sets as Aoshima/Hasegawa and Fujimi do with their new 350th releases.

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 05:48 AM UTC
Excellent review, Jim! I have to hold back on temptation to get this now!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Awesome review Jim.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
Mine came in Friday whcih explains why shipping was so high (5 days from oder to doorstep). I hven't really had time to look in detail at the kit. Is the underside of the carrier deck going to require extensive PE relacement? One thing you may want to look at is Tom'sJapanese BB generic PE set. The railings are super int hat he made a bottom bar for glue on and stiffening. They have that nice droop appearance as do the Hasegawa Fujimi stuff but that stiffening makes them a joy to work with. I had to use a bit to finish up the Kongo.

I preordered the Myoko with PE set one so I may wait and see what comes with it. It might give me enough transferable PE to use with this one.

Last comment: This is one huge ship. Length wise it appears to be almost as long as the Kongo, so get that cheap price on this one. I think this one will be a kick to build unless you are going to do the Ise with the similar arrangement (for those who aren't going nutso like me and getting one of every major calss of warship))
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
Thanks guys!!

The underside of the flight deck does have molded detail. I will try to add a picture of that tonight. A person could remove it and add some PE detail if he wished, but it would be mostly hidden. It was nice to see the extras in the torpedo room, but again that will be hidden when done.

Yes, she is a big girl and will make an impressive build when done. There will be plenty of PE available for sprucing Mogami up a little. In truth not much is needed, some ladders, railings, hose reels, and the Radar mast. Oh yeah, and the degaussing cable.

I did learn quickly about shipping from Japan. If I need it quickly, I buy it from a US source. If I can wait, I use SAL from Japan. My Mogami took 2 weeks to arrive. I have had packages take 3 weeks to come in from Japan.

ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:22 AM UTC
How hard would it be to make her a R/C working model? Easy access to the inside? This is one model I'd love to see really sailing on a lake or pond.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How hard would it be to make her a R/C working model? Easy access to the inside? This is one model I'd love to see really sailing on a lake or pond.

Hmmm, an R/C version. Since the decks are screwed down I am guessing it might be easier than I am thinking. Take a look at the scans of the instructions, which should give you an idea of the construction.

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
My copy from Free Time Hobbies arrived before the weekend. Another impressive Tamiya product. I can't wait till the all-gun Mikuma version hits the streets!

--Karl
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 11:10 AM UTC
Here are some of the undersides of the decks.

Like I had said the underside of the flight deck will pretty much be hidden. So, if a builder wants he could just replace a the first couple of rows with PE perforated bars.

I like how many of the undersides that should have gussets have them.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 05:29 AM UTC
Great review... looks awesome! I have to make a serious dent i nmy stash before I even think of getting more kits
 _GOTOTOP