These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
sea effect on a roll
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hello, I am planning a 1-700 dockyard dio in the near future, and at the moment, I have brought something called water effect on a roll, it is basically a roll of thin'ish plastic, that you either paint the underside, or paint the actual base (not too sure at the moment) I would like to know quite simply, when you place your warships into onto this plastic sheet, do you cut round them, or simply place them on top ? Look forward to your reply.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC
Alec,

I am ot sure, since I have not seen this effect. I am guessing with the ships in port you might want to make cut outs for them. BUT, do not take my word for it.

Sounds like an interesting product, who makes it?

bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/3480251718_cba468e43b_b.jpg
Hello Jim, this is approx 24" square, and the piece in the pix is just a small bit I've cut, and have you any idea how hard it is to photograph something almost transparent ? Quite hard, some time ago Tamiya use to make this sea effect on a roll, I simply brought this from a seller on ebay - as usual from Hong Kong - I find everything from the U.S. A dirt cheep and then get slaughtered by the postage charges, anyway back to the plot so to speak, this plastic roll is less then 1mm thick, and I'm not really sure if you're suppose to paint the underneath or the base itself, or in fact if you're suppose to cut round the 1-700 models, which isn't to bad for a carrier, but I don't really want to cut round a 1-700 tug boat, so once again, do you cut out shapes, or simply place the model on top and shape the waves around the hull ?
Oh darn it ! give me a couple of hours and I'll try and come back to this thread.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 04:22 AM UTC
For an underway ship I would place it on top and use wake to fill in the gaps. For in port at a dock you might be able to sit a ship on top and fill the gaps as well to make it look like the ship is sitting in the water and not on it.

I am not sure how pronounced the waves are for a 1/700 ship. I agree cutting out shapes would be a little tough.

I know we have builders who have used similar bases and they will be better able to help you, when they show up a little later. I wish I could give you a better answer than what I have, but I know somebody on our boards has the answer.

bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 04:28 AM UTC
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3326/3480374456_e8a14fab3e_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/3480374474_8a34f01http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3568/3480374488_d6b44fc6b8_b.jpg167_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3480374496_0fa6676d97_b.jpg
Okay Jim, what I've done is paint the underside first, then realised too much light blue, so made the mistake of painting the top dark blue which knocked off some of the paint where the wave tips might be, also the plastic sheet captures the light really nice reflective in all 4 photo's, the 3 subject ships are obviously 1-700 and I have simply sat them down on top of the sheet and done nothing else to them, I guess you'd still require the wave pattern and white tips, unless of course stationary in a dock or at anchor, either way, let me know what you think, I haven't used this stuff before, and wondering who has.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
Painting the bottom is the way to go. Also the ships look decent sitting on top. I think you are heading in the right diection.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
Some interesting looking stuff. I would probably go with cutting out the shapes of the ships so they would sit flat. I think painting the base a swirling dark / medium blue then the underside of the plastic a light blue would give a real nice effect. Dry brush a little white and ships in movement do a wake behind them. This stuff looks like it might also work for a nice calm 350 scale ship as well. Get ahold of the guys that are slicing the bottoms out, they may use it.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
sea effect on a roll, this is what 'I' have discovered and what works best for me, cut the size of board you wish to have as your base, paint it dark blue green or whatever colour you like, when dry, slightly over size cut the sea effect on a roll and glue down and leave to dry for a whole day, then using a good small file, file through the edges this will save cutting with a knife, take your water line series subject and glue wherever you wish and allow to dry, using same coloured paint mix with gell and apply to model (bow) and make other waves, allow to dry and paint on white wave tips, my very first test piece is on this site 'sinking ship'
 _GOTOTOP