_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
civil war river iron-clads/ships
sacman
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
Any members here model in this area? Especially interested river models other than sea shipping.
Lou
herrmill
Visit this Community
Zhejiang, China / 简体
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 11:25 AM UTC
I'm currently finishing USS Manhattan, a 1/72 Canonicus class monitor, followed by CSS Tennessee, both scratch built RC projects. My next CW subject will be a City class river gunboat followed by CSS Arkansas.

For more information, download the Steve Lund & Bill Hathaway's free book Modeling Civil War Ironclad Ships at http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 03:02 PM UTC
I've built Verlinden's USS Monitor and CSS Virginia, those are 1/200th scale. In wargaming scales (I build them as models, not for wargaming) I have a 1/1200th scale USS Essex, another Monitor and Virginia, along with non-ironclads USS Minnesota, USS St Lawrence, USS Cumberland, USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama. I don't know how much of this qualifies, but its a lot of fun for me, detailing these tiny kits. All of my 1/1200th stuff is from Langton, he makes some very high quality castings.

John
ArthurSC
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 05:01 PM UTC
So far I have the CSS Palmetto State and CSS David completed. My next project will be CSS Hunley and CSS Chicora. I plan to make another trip to the archives in Charleston SC before starting a scratch build of the CSS Charleston. My goal is to build the major vessels of the Charleston Squadron
sacman
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 02:37 AM UTC
Anyone have photo's.
ArthurSC
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 10:01 AM UTC
I place two of the Palmetto State in the photo section, you can see it if you click under my profile. The CSS David was featured on this site last year, the URL is
https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net//features/2216

TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 05:48 PM UTC
I have a review posted of the Verliden Atlanta here.
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
I have both the Verlinden USS Monitor & CSS Virginia kits and a PE kit for one or both. I also have a couple of USS Hartford kits that if I can get a complete model out of would like to have the CSS Tennesee to display alongside it.

Just getting a work room set up at the house and looking for the time to get back into the hobby again.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC
I'm working on a technique to simulate wood grain on styrene (for black-hulled ships), so I can scratchbuild an accurate USS Richmond for my Mississippi campaign series.

Oh, that's in 1:96 scale.

--Karl
herrmill
Visit this Community
Zhejiang, China / 简体
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC
You'll want to visit Model Warships' forum http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4712]Civil War Ironclad Fans . I have a few photos of my build posted there & will update shortly with Manhattan on the water.

Richmond will be a nice project. One of the guys over at Sub Pirates was starting a large scale Manassas last year but I'm not sure what became of the build .

Chuck
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Richmond will be a nice project. One of the guys over at Sub Pirates was starting a large scale Manassas last year but I'm not sure what became of the build .

Chuck

Hi Chuck!

Yes, the USN's screw sloops of the 1850's programs were some of the most elegant wooden warships ever, IMHO.

Replicating wood grain will be worth the effort to bring them on line.

--Karl
ArthurSC
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a review posted of the Verliden Atlanta here.

Looks like a nice kit, thanks for the review. I was a bit turned off by the Palmetto State by Verlinden, looks like this one will be better.
ArthurSC
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 03:55 PM UTC
I have a question that has been bugging me for sometime now about a famous painting of the Chicora and Palmetto State by Chapman. The ship said to be the Palmetto State does not look like any of the other drawings or paintings. One example would be the Cawson water color of 1862 which shows a line drawing with great detail. Could it be Chapman’s painting was not the ship attributed as the PS? While conducting some online research I came across this link.
http://www.thehunley.com/NEWSLETTER_47-COOK%20PHOTO/Newsletter_47_12-19-03-A.htm#PHOTOGRAPHY
Some are under the opinion that Chapman used the photograph by George Cook when he did the famous painting of the CSS Hunley. If indeed Chapman used the Cook photograph, which no one had identified properly, then could it be that someone has miss attributed the PS as the ship in Chapman’s painting?
The Chapman painting may actually be of the CSS Charleston, her lines and overall size matches up to Chapman’s painting better then the PS.
Anyone here have any information that may clear up the mystery?
herrmill
Visit this Community
Zhejiang, China / 简体
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 03:45 AM UTC
Here are a few photos of mine during its shakedown cruise earlier today. As you can see it needs another kilogram or so of lead to bring it down to proper waterline. And yes, that is a privy on the aft starboard quarter.

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hey Charles, the Manhattan's looking great. Does the turret rotate? You can probably work out smoke effects for the stack and guns, too!

--Karl
herrmill
Visit this Community
Zhejiang, China / 简体
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 04:44 PM UTC
Yes, the turret rotates & I'm adding smoke effects next. Due to the lack of space in the hull, I'm using modified smoke oil generators used in RC tanks. Tennessee will be a much easier build with its roomy casement & will have a fog generator as well as working airsoft cannon.
 _GOTOTOP