_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Differences between Yamato and Musashi
Mrtant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hello. New to this forum, but no to modeling. Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum.

I recently re-started on an old 1/350 scale Musashi by Tamiya after a hiatus of 7 years being forgotten in my store room.

I find it very hard to find into on the exact configurations of the Yamato and Musashi as sunk.

http://watakan.world.coocan.jp/eng/yamato/data/ymt_arm.html
http://watakan.world.coocan.jp/eng/yamato/research/musashi_variation.html

Besides the well known additional AA guns (shielded) along the superstructure, AA guns unshileded on the main turrents, and additional 15in guns, are there any other subtle differences in the 2?

The main inconsistencies i've seen are with the firing controls at the edge of the mast. Some Musashi sources show the large control structures like those on Yamato, but some show the smaller version.

Anyone have any ideas?
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
I know that the ladder on the back of Musashi's bridge tower is one single one from top to bottom. There are staggered levels on the Yamato. I don't have any good drawings of this area though, but you can get a general idea by looking at other models of the Musashi on different websites.

Other than that, and of course gun arrangements, I have't seen or read any other external differences.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 08:55 AM UTC
Whatever the source you have there seems to be quite explicit in showing the differences. The Yanaato kit is featuring the Yamato in the final configuration. I have never done the Musashi kit but my understanding that was her fnal configuration. You seem to have a prety god handle of what you want andhave a super reference. I don't know if you are using photo etch or not, but I would strogly recommend it, it enhances the ship so much.
Mrtant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 05:16 PM UTC
Which is the best photo etch set to buy?
Mrtant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 11:32 PM UTC
Oh by the way, should I paint the set first before attaching the details or after? I can only get the details in a few months but I'm dying to paint my model.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
Lionroar is probably the best, and you will pay for it. It includes guns and a lot of parts the others dont. I think the White Ensign Models would be the next level down Tom's and Gold Medal Models also make fine sets. Just kind of depends on how much you want to spend and how much super detail you want. I,ve used some Lionroar mini-sets and both the Toms and Gold medal models. I was pleased with my results. I dn't lke to replace things just to do it, there has to be a significant difference in detail for me to cut off the plastic to replace with brass.
 _GOTOTOP