_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Fujimi IJN Shokaku Aircraft Carrier
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 12:19 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!

MSW Crewmember D.T. [ DR_WHO2 ] shares with us an in box review on the latest IJN Aircraft Carrier to hit the waves. The kit is Fujimi’s IJN Shokaku Aircraft Carrier in 1/350 scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 118 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
Superb review. The Shokakus are my favorite WW2 carriers, but I don't like to model flat tops. I still might be getting one...

As for your very good, interesting and detailed technical description, I'd like to add that a the hull with a closed hangar is usually lighter than with an open one, since the inclusion of the flight deck as a strength member allows for better stress distribution and therefore less material. It is the decision to armor the flight deck where all the trouble starts.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the review, Dariush! I'll likely wait for the Zuikaku, as I prefer it of the two, but it's good to see a nice start for the class here.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
Having both the Akagi and this one, I must say in comparison that the Shokaku looks to be more modeler friendly. I am sure someone will come up with a brass set to redo the underside girders and such, but it won't be anywhere near as extensive as the Akagi.. There are supplemental aircraft kits released by Fujimi that will probably hurt Hasegawa sales. They come 12 to a package as single units. You get 12 zeros, Vals, or Kates. I got a set of zeros and 2 kates for my Akagi and I will need to go back and get 2 Vals to do shokaku. Thge decals are plentiful for the aircraft kits. The only flaw is the Kates were all outfitted with torpedoes only so bombs will have to be fabricated if you want to accurately depict the breakdown for Pearl. As well as super PE sets, I am sure a wooden deck will also appear shortly.
Dr_Who2
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 90 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
Ahoi everybody,

I just recently figured that each review published comes with a corresponding thread on its own.

First off, thanks for the kind words, really appreciated.

@Dade: I bet it is because of the experimental camouflage pattern the IJN Zuikaku wore.
OTOH I am unsure if there were major differences between the two carriers. I checked combinedfleet.com TROM for IJN Zuikaku and found no evidence about a major reconstruction. She was drydocked though several times. the last stay was probably:
14 July 1944:
Enters drydock at Kure.
2 August 1944:
Leaves Kure drydock.

@Steve: I kind of like the IJN AKAGI but the price alone for the kit is a bit steep. Gathering the bits and bolts to get her into a gem made me pass out on this one.
I am saying this with all respect because I feel the AKAGI kit sure is a superbly manufactured model ship on her own. It is just when you once see the PE etc. you donīt want to be without it.

The following site may interest you and everyone else of course:
CLICK: IJN Shokaku airplane supplement at a given time

and here one for the IJN Zuikaku:
CLICK: IJN ZUIKAKU airplane supplement at a given time
 _GOTOTOP