_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS Arizona / Revell 1/426, Good training aid
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:06 AM UTC
Group;

Just starting getting back into modeling in Oct 08. I have built a couple of easy projects to get my feet wet. Jeeps, planes, PT 109 and the like. I have also been practicing with paints.......no airbrush as of yet but I'm sure in the near future it will come.

Kitmaker has opened my eyes to what really can be done and also has opened my mind to new project ideas. Well I have fallen in love with ships, being a retired Navy man.

For the past few weeks, I have been working on the USS Arizona Revell 1/426 kit. This is the very first time I have worked with PE, and I must say it makes a world of differnce. The kit itself as you all know has been in production for many years and has not changed much.

Well to the point..........the kit to me is toyish and needs plenty of work. The GMM PE set is a must have. I'm using the kit as a training aid to improve on my building, PE and paint skills.

I hope and I really will this time, with the help of the wife, get some photos out to the group. Good or bad.......I'm having a blast.

I'm looking at a Sub for my next project.........any help would be great.

Sam
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:24 AM UTC
You like modern or more historical subs?
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 01:57 PM UTC
Historical, pre WW1 and WW1.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC
I dn't know of too many early submarine kits in plastic. I know the Hunley is out in resin, and that is a whole diffrent beast then just a plastic kit....and expensive to boot. There are considerable WW 2 subs in a large variey of scales just sort of pick your poison.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 04:44 AM UTC
I think your right......I'm looking at WW2 subs at this time. Trying to work more with PE and painting skills need plenty of improvement. I don't think I'm ready for an airbrush right now. Still working on the basics.

Thanks
Sam
Skayden
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
I recently and for the very first time actually used the airbrush I bought some 20 years ago after years of fear and a long hiatus from model building. My advice: just bite the bullet and do it. There is nothing other than using an airbrush that's going to prepare you to use an airbrush well, so you'd might as well take that first step. It's fun, not nearly as hard or intimidating as it seems, and surprisingly hard to make a mistake that you can't fix.

Now I need to take that very same advice except regarding photoetch

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 09:21 AM UTC
The trick to airbrushing is simple pressuer and mixing. It is just like spraying from a rattlecan. Except the paint comes out a wee bit less and if you get a real good airbrush, a whole lot less. Get a nice medium priced airbrush for say $50 or so. You might get a couple of cans of propel (canned air) just to get familiar with it. Eventually get a decent compressor for around $100 - 150. NOt cheap, but if you use it like me for 20 years well worth the initial investment.
 _GOTOTOP