_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building My First Ship Model
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Model Shipwrights: 57 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 05:25 PM UTC
Well

After attending my local IPMS meeting and hearing the theme of our Best of the West model show was "Made in the USA" I had to start thinking of something unique

Normally I am an armor modeler, I just love tanks, but after watching the movie They Were Expendable I decided that nothing said made in USA better than the legendary Elco 80' PT Boat

I have ordered the Italeri 1/35 kit and Lion Roar's impressive photo etch set. Once I get everything, I am gonna get started, and I am going to post occasional pics here so I can get some progressive feedback and criticism. I am going to go look for some reference books this week, so I can make necessary changes and improvements
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
You will have a ball building this puppy. Everyone who has has loved it. Keep in mind, the boats in the movie were early versions. The kit is a full fledged endo of the war big time GUNSHIP !!!. Oh and Italerie also makes a nice set of crew figures that go with it. I think there are 10 of the little fellows, but don't hold me to it. You can pick them up at a reasonable price on ebay ...AAA models has them

Oh and as my friend Keith says...."Welcoime to the darkside". We'll get you so hooked on ships that tanks will become a side line....I know I buy one or two armor kits a year now...of course in the stash I still have a ton of Tigers, panthers etc
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 12:43 PM UTC
I didn't mean that I was going to build an early war version, the movie was just my inspiration

As for modeling other ships, one may never know, I still want to build a Fletcher Destroyer, mainly USS Johnston from Letye Gulf

Plus I have had my eye on the new DML Smart Kit of USS Laffey
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 04:27 PM UTC
DD's You'll want a Square bridge FLetcher class. In 350 scale pck up a Dragon "the Sullivans"
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice

And you were right about the ship bug grabbing hold. I got that beautiful 1/35 Elco in today and once I saw it, the old rusty cogs in my head started turning and all I can think of is was to add more detail to this kit, and getting my hands on the DML USS Laffey.

My USS Johnston might be a while, but better to get some others built to get in the micro construction practice.
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 06:27 PM UTC
Here is a pic of my Elco 80'

The midships and aft structures are dryfitted, the fore cabin and helm are is pretty much glued together and just resting on deck

_GOTOTOP