_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Latest on Academy's Graf Spee
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

The news desk is always hunting out the breaking kitset and accessories news from all around the world.

Here is the latest and greatest details on the new release from Academy.

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hello Sean,
Thanks for the news. One question: The price is quoted at $20.00, That seems a little low for at 1/350 scale ship. Did I miss read the price?
Cheers,
Bruce
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 04:18 PM UTC
Sean's statement is a little off, I believe. The quoted price is actually 25,000 Won (South Korean Dollars, which according to XE.Com is $19.56 as of right now.

This does not reflect actual US retail price after importers add their overhead or a US customer buys from an asian distributor and pays for the the shipping.
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 09:59 PM UTC
Even if you add another $20 US on top, I'll bet it will still be cheaper that Trumpeter's offering.

At $40 Academy will still have a winner on their hands if the quality and accuracy are there.

US & UK importers of Trumpeter kits simply take the p$ss with their price gouging tactics.

Good luck to Academy on ths one.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 12:35 AM UTC
Well, the OHP kit is listed in the $30 range +/- a couple fo dollars, so it is possible to get the Graf Spee for around $40.00. I just hope she is a decent kit.

I have a feeling there will be plenty of AM items to drees it up some.

TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 04:35 AM UTC
I'm definitely looking forward to the Academy ship... Graf Spee is one of the two German ships I'm really interested in (the other being the ubiquitous Bismarck).
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hi Bruce

Thanks very much for seeking that clarification.

“Did I miss read the price?”

LOL No Bruce but a very fair question indeed.

I did not misread the price but I did go and double check again as we are of course all human even news writers.

To clarify for you the listed price supplied directly from Academy is 25,000 Won - Won being the South Korean currency.

As by way of background I advise as follows:

1. In order to save members the effort of trying to convert this amount I used the XE currency convertor to convert the amount at 10 am NZ time to US$19.86;

2. I elected to round this figure to the nearest dollar;

3. The final precise retail price landed in the US, the UK or in fact in New Zealand is unknown at present due to various variables.

What is known by way of established fact is that Academy have supplied a price of 25,000 Won.

At this point in time my statement that “the indicative price has been listed as approximately US$20.00!!” based on the current information to hand from Academy is in my opinion entirely accurate.

My intention was certainly not to mislead anyone hence my use of the terms “indicative price” and “approximately” and exclamation marks - something I don’t often use.

Thanks again for the question Bruce it is very much appreciated and as I stated in my story - “We will of course update you as and when more information comes to hand”.

Cheers

Sean

Postscript:
By way of update after looking around the websites of certain Far East establishments today I understand now that this kitset is being listed on preorder at a Japanese retail price of 3,800 Yen.

However again the final precise retail price of this kitset landed in the US, the UK or in fact in New Zealand is unknown at present due to various variables.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 01:00 AM UTC
Sean,

No matter how the estimated price was arrived at, it is still very reasonable for a 1/350 kit. The Japanese price is roughly $38.00 +/- a couple $.

Thanks for taking the time to run down your thought process.

warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
If this one is a runaway success for Academy - which I hope it is - I dearly hope that Trumpeter China has a very serious firm and frank exchange of views with their respective overseas distributors about the whopping margins they put on Trumpeter's kits.

Maybe this might be the shake-up we need. If Academy's kit sells well, and Trumpeter's version nosedives because of the importer / distributor's pricing, we might see some kind of pricing reform at long last.

Personally, I'm sick of being ripped off.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
A similar thread on ModelWarships has stated that Aoshima's web store is offering both on pre-order; check out the price difference:

Trumpeter: Japanese retail price - JPY 9800 (currently $105.50)
Academy: Japanese retail price - JPY 3800 (Currently $40.88)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A similar thread on ModelWarships has stated that Aoshima's web store is offering both on pre-order; check out the price difference:

Trumpeter: Japanese retail price - JPY 9800 (currently $105.50)
Academy: Japanese retail price - JPY 3800 (Currently $40.88)

That's crazy.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 09:00 AM UTC
Great Models has pre-order Trumpeter version for approx $75 Hobby World Japan has Academy for approx $35
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC
I just had a second thought. The Trumpy Repulse came with a fairly complete PE set (I haven't gotten mine in yet, so I can't state this as actual fact) So the Graf Spee may continue this trend and have a PE set aong with it as well. If so, it kind of justifies the extra price in my book assuming that acdemy isn't doing the same thing
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 12:51 PM UTC
Hi Jim

No problem my friend.

This new Academy kit has certainly generated some interest.

An interesting future exercise may be a side by side review/comparison of both the impending kits once they are released.

Cheers

Sean
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hello Sean,
thanks for double checking the price. I have not made an Academy Ship yet, So i do not know if it is a good price for it.
It seems to me that Dragon and Trumpeter is pricing themselfs out of the Model Business.
If Academy is as good as everyone says, They will be getting my business.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Bruce
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 10:17 PM UTC
Even if Trumpeter does include a limited PE fret with the kit, it hardly goes far enough to warrant a $60US premium.

Having bought their 1/350 Hood & Repulse kits, and compared the the amount and quality of the included PE with that of PE frets from WEM, there's no way there's an extra $60US worth of brass!

I think we have to look closer to home to find out where that extra levy is being applied, because there's no way a Trumpeter kit costs anywhere near the UK/US asking price when it comes out of the shipping container on the dockside.
Having just looked up the UK importer for Academy kits, it seems that Pocketbond are Academy's agent over here.
Sadly, they are also agents for Trumpeter.
I just hope that this doesn't mean that we are going to have our chains yanked in the same way they do it with Trumpeter kit pricing.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 07:26 PM UTC
Well, I went ahead and did a pre-order withj Graet Modles. with shipping it's right around $84. Don't think you'll do much better with the academy kit after it gets imported here or you add on the $40 shipping fee from Japan. Besides, I have built a few Academy kits and never been greatly impressed with any of them. they have all been fine, just nothing real exceptional that can't be found on a better quality albeit higher priced version.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 01:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the news... interesting discussion, a cheaper Academy and then get WEM/GMM PE, or get more goodies with the Trump version? Currently, Great models has the academy 350 Bismarck/Tirpitz at 42 USD, Lucky Models for 28/22 USD. Prices go up 150% for the Trumpeter BB offerings; LM always has the cheapest Trumpy (and Bronco) prices, even with their strange shipping costs (and months of wait).
 _GOTOTOP