_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
updates
Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
I noticed that the updates section has slow down quite a bit over the last 2 months.I must have submitted just by myself over 9-10 models, am sure others too.Is there something wrong with the moderators or the ppl whos task is to sort out the updates? maybe they are on holidays maybe too busy with real life developments maybe i am submitting them to the wrong email?just wondering
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 08:59 AM UTC
No, there really isn't anything wrong with the staff. Mark who normally handles a majority of the day to day goings on has taken a new job and is traveling a great deal.

So, I have been handling a good deal of the day to day activates. However, with this and my work load at my real job I cannot always run through updates and new items as quickly as I would like.

There are currently several MOD’s and features waiting to be run. Plus a good deal of reviews in process. I try to get reviews up as quickly as I can and also to have a couple new MOD’s per week. If I use a submission as a feature I try to leave that on top for a full week.

I have another one of yours slated to run tomorrow morning. Speaking for myself I feel very fortunate that we do have a decent backlog of work to show. It can however work both ways, too much work to show and not enough time to show it all.

I try to work through everything as quickly as I can. At the same time I like to mix things up some as well. If I received several carriers I like to try and mix things up some be running a cruiser or destroyer in between two carriers. I hope that explains things better for you. Feel free to write me at my staff email anytime about your projects.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC
Jim - thanks for all the work you put in to this website, truly appreciated!

You have a "good" problem, too many articles in the queue! Better than the other way around I also now dont feel too bad for not (yet) submitting the reviews I promised Mark a few months ago...
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
Jim,

You promised reviews to Mark!?!? Well, where are they?? LOL

Yes, we do have a good volume of articles and like I said I try to keep a steady flow.

Then put on top of site work my real job is going crazy. I have been working 6 days a week for 3 months now.

On a serious note, if anyone has sent anything in and is curious about it being ublished, get ahold of me.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I noticed that the updates section has slow down quite a bit over the last 2 months.I must have submitted just by myself over 9-10 models, am sure others too.Is there something wrong with the moderators or the ppl whos task is to sort out the updates? maybe they are on holidays maybe too busy with real life developments maybe i am submitting them to the wrong email?just wondering

Yes, Kostas, and I must put the blame entirely upon myself...as my first-mate Jim Adams has stated, real life has grabbed me completely away from all of my free time, with a job change/promotion that has taken me on an entirely different direction in life...I'm on the move on a near constant basis, 24-7...Jim has been doing a banner job thus far keeping the ship steady, and although I haven't been in edit mode for the last few months, I have been watching steadily from the wings, and the site looks great!

We are lucky to have a backlog of submissions to work on, and I must ask all who have submitted to please be patient, as all staff of KitMaker do what we do here as a voluntary secondary to our real life jobs and family life, and your submissions will be published, mates, trust me...I've had to dump everything onto Jim as far as features and MOD displays, and he has taken the helm in an admirable fashion, honing his editorial skills masterfully. He's currently working on no less than 14 editorial features as we speak that are currently in the que, as well as a fresh bunch of review samples that I just slapped him with!

So in closing, I again want to thank all of you that have been sending in the super quality builds and features, and PLEASE continue to do so, because we depend on YOUR work to keep the site rolling along...I'm personally trying to stabilize things at my end so I can again begin to contribute back to my favorite place to be, with my friends!

Cheers,
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 06:50 PM UTC
Kostas in 2 months you did 9 or 10 modles . Holy cow !!! I am lucky to get 6 or 7 done in a year, and that is doing 2 or 3 quickees like a sub or a train railcar for my BR-52. I can't even do a simple tank like a panther in less thatn 3 weeks.
Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 09:03 PM UTC
Well at least its all for a worthy reason (your promotion) which in this economic climate i guess is something to be treasured.

Steve i said i submitted 9-10 models NOT made.I made these 9-10 models starting from Hood which is the first of them featured yesterday since January so that would be around 6 months .As some of them are commissions i HAVE to built them and other i simply built along side the commission building purely as fun for me .Commission building means i am not building always the subject of my choice but rather the clients choice.And quite frankly how many Bismarck's or Hood's one can do before he gets sick of them?
I hope you feel a lot better about yourself there now Steve.And remember it's quality not quantity that matters .
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
I wasn't feeling bad, just amazement. But I see if you are building for yourself versus a customer, and if you are bulding a lot of the same thing you do get things done quicker. My friend Keith did 3 Panther d' in a week for a planned diorama. All the same kit so a lot of oerations could and were done co-jointly. I've dne things like that. Mixed up a huge batch of hull red color and painted 3 different ship hulls with itjust recently. I was only working on one of the kits, but that is just one thing already done when I crack into the others. Probably do it again as I am working the 350 scale Hood right now. Nail it's lower hull and probably hit the Alabama's as well. (love those Trumpeter kits !!!)
My model building goal is to try to build more than I buy. I did it last year, so far this year I was ahead, but a recent buying spree will reverse it by August.
 _GOTOTOP