_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
New Range of RN Warships in 350th
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 08:50 PM UTC
A company called "Cruiselinemodels" is working a range of resin kits to be released ,hopefully in November this year.
The first two to be issued will be the Renown,in 1942 and 1944 versions,and the Town Class cruiser Sheffield.
The price of these kits will be in the region of £100 for the Renown,and £60-£70 for the Sheffield .
Many more kits are planned for the future.I will update as I find out more,but I can assure you those prices are genuine,because they are a company ,which already does this type of thing for large organizations,and they are doing these kits as a sideline to their main operations.
I Can`t Wait!!
Cheers Phil
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 10:56 PM UTC
remarkable prices for 350 scale resin kits. They are running very close to what the current plastic is going for
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Make the County classes, please!

--Karl
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Make the County classes, please!

--Karl

Hi Karl,
They plan to do as many classes of RN ships,from all eras,as possible.I wouldn`t be surprised if a County class cruiser wasn`t one of them,but ,there`s nothing definate --yet.
Phil
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC
That's wonderful news, Phil! World War II British carriers MUST also be produced in 1:350. It's a shame that Ark Royal, Victorious, Indefatigable, and even Glorious aren't in 1:350.

--Karl
Removed by original poster on 08/03/09 - 19:12:51 (GMT).
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 11:42 PM UTC
It seems that Commander Models has released an Ajax, at least according to the folks at Steel Navy.
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It seems that Commander Models has released an Ajax, at least according to the folks at Steel Navy.

If Commanders models has released an Ajax,I won`t be having one,too expensive for a start,and I`ve already scratch-built one.
Regards Phil
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...I`ve already scratch-built one.
Regards Phil

Apart from the cost issue, by scratchbuilding a new bridge and going with single HA mounts, you could convert the kit into HMNZS Achilles.

--Karl
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If Commanders models has released an Ajax,I won`t be having one,too expensive for a start,and I`ve already scratch-built one.
Regards Phil

According to the people at Steel Navy, the price will be $250.00, and since they are known to discount 15%, the price becomes $210.00. Since that also includes the photoetch for the kit (that usually runs, for a kit this size, about $50.00), that seems reasonable. BTW, this converts to 127 GBP with photoetch.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
I think I'll wait for the paperback (plastic) edition. I am sure that Trumpetr is heading in that direction . They are doing German right now and have a planned Italian BB, so I would surmise a Nelson class BB and British cruisers and maybe Aircraft Carriers in the next several years. I don't see anything other than Japanese coming from Hasegawa, Fujimi, and Aoshima for quite a while. There are still a few BB's left and lots of cruisers and Aircraft carriers left to produce. Dragon and Bronco I pretty much see as staying with Tincans and subs. Now mind you, I am not in the know and have no connections with anybody. These ar merely speculations so don't go asking me pretty please to make your favorite ship. MIne is the Littorio and I can tell you that Trumpeter is gong to make it as they are working on making the dies and all that.
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards Phil

According to the people at Steel Navy, the price will be $250.00, and since they are known to discount 15%, the price becomes $210.00. Since that also includes the photoetch for the kit (that usually runs, for a kit this size, about $50.00), that seems reasonable. BTW, this converts to 127 GBP with photoetch.

£127??This cost me all of £25,including the Profile Morskie book!!

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
My issue with resin, aside from the price, is that I've never worked with it. When price raises it's ugly head, as it always does, I haven't had the incentive to risk the money on trying to work with a medium I haven't worked with before. These prices are attractive, and the subjects certainly push my buttons, but I'll have to go along with Steve and wait for the paperback. (BTW Steve, that's a great analogy.) The horizon looks good for plastic 1/350 scale ships. Who would have thought a few years ago we'd have a plastic 1/350 Repulse, Richelieu, or the fantastic DML cans that aren't Fletchers. I still have high hopes that DML will do a 1/350 Atlanta. They can scale up their Juneau, take the small AA, torpedo tubes, radars, depth charge racks, life rafts, etc from their cans and use them on the CLAA. Now if Trumpeter would just come out with the Warspite I can die happy.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My issue with resin, aside from the price, is that I've never worked with it. When price raises it's ugly head, as it always does, I haven't had the incentive to risk the money on trying to work with a medium I haven't worked with before.

However, the plastic models that have been mentioned, and the associated after market parts to make the plastic kit"accurate", as well as the aftermarket photoetch, raise the price to about the same as a good resin model, which includes the photoetch in the price. It seems that the fear, for lack of a better term, of resin is what drives the disinterest in these kits. So why don't people purchase a smaller kit and see if they like working with the medium. White Ensign, Loose Cannon, as well as Commanders, offer low cost kits that seem to be of an introductory nature (Commanders' 1/350 PC-461 comes to mind at $25.00). Others have mentioned aftermarket products like a future conversion of the Dragon Gearing to a FRAM Gearing. Yet if you consider the Dragon kit at $49.00, a specialized photoetch set for another $40.00, and a resin conversion set that the guy at Commanders estimated to be at least $50.00 (it would have to replace everything above the main deck), the actual resin model that Commanders offers at $119.00 seems to be a bargain to get to the same place.

Others have mentioned the perception that companies like Trumpeter are going to do these subject. Yet Trumpeter's future releases on display in Columbus for the IPMS show were all aircraft. No ships, not even the announced Prinz Eugen or Graf Spee. And, if you look critically at Trumpeter's releases, all of them, with the exception of the Chinese Navy subjects, are reproductions of existing resin and plastic kits. The recent Repulse is based, according to White Ensign themselves, on their pattern of the Repulse. Trumpeter has shown no propensity, other than the Chinese ships, of doing original work. The Japanese and Korean companies have, but as was mentioned, only Japanese subjects have appeared from them. Logically, wouldn't it make sense that supporting the resin manufacturers would lead to more Trumpeter releases of the kits that were desired?

Finally, it's interesting that fear and cost are the limiting factors for buying resin kits. Until I mentioned that another company was releasing an RN subject, this thread was about new resin RN subject being created. Is it that the established company is bad, and the new company is good? I ask this not to be critical of anyone, but it is strange that a new RN subject is being released, with more to come from what I've seen, and that isn't seen as a good thing.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC
1.90E_31

Let me explain. First of all it's been a long time since I posted on here regularly and I have forgotten that it's not always possible in a electronic media like this to convey all the nuances I meant to. Second if I didn't make it clear, and I don't think I did, ANY ship that flew the White Ensign, in any scale, any media, is OK by me. We need far more ships from the the greatest navy ever. I was agreeing with Steve, not going after anybody who enjoys building resin kits. Third I do have to take issue with one thing you wrote. Any time the debate between resin and plastic kit builders comes up there always seems to be the assumption that every builder is going to automatically buy a P.E. set to go along with the plastic kit, and therefore the difference in price between plastic and resin is going to be less. I'm sorry but not everybody buys the P.E. If you don't buy the P.E. then plastic is just far less expensive than resin. I did a very quick search for comparative prices on Great Models website and found this comparison. The White Ensign kit of the H.M.S. Kelly, 1/350 scale, which BTW I would LOVE to see in plastic, is $151.21. Granted that includes a P.E. set. That's only $50 less than the same site has the Fujimi Kongo in plastic for. To compare like size ships for the price of the Kelly I could get four of the DML cans and have change left over. I could get two of the Hasegawa Yukikaze and have even more change. (Boy my spell checked is working overtime on some of these names.)

I may be in the minority among such modelers as are on this site but what I want for my money is a reasonably priced, reasonably accurate, reasonably easy to build, reasonably available in my LHS, model that reasonably looks like the ship I'm modeling. Am I being unreasonable?

I really think that resin modelers and plastic modelers are like Mac and PC users. They are never going to agree with the other guys choice. Let's just agree to disagree and agree to have a virtual or six and get back to modeling in whatever format we want.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Third I do have to take issue with one thing you wrote. Any time the debate between resin and plastic kit builders comes up there always seems to be the assumption that every builder is going to automatically buy a P.E. set to go along with the plastic kit, and therefore the difference in price between plastic and resin is going to be less. I'm sorry but not everybody buys the P.E. If you don't buy the P.E. then plastic is just far less expensive than resin. I did a very quick search for comparative prices on Great Models website and found this comparison. The White Ensign kit of the H.M.S. Kelly, 1/350 scale, which BTW I would LOVE to see in plastic, is $151.21. Granted that includes a P.E. set. That's only $50 less than the same site has the Fujimi Kongo in plastic for. To compare like size ships for the price of the Kelly I could get four of the DML cans and have change left over. I could get two of the Hasegawa Yukikaze and have even more change. (Boy my spell checked is working overtime on some of these names.)

Halfyank,

I only am including a photoetch set in order to provide an equivalency between a resin kit and a plastic kit. It is undeniable that plastic kits are less expensive, but once there is an equivalency the prices are better able to be compared. Also, you mention that a WEM Kelly is $151 at a retailer. That's somewhat of a misnomer, since if you ordered directly from WEM, the cost is only $110. Also, if you were to look at Commanders website, although they do not sell a Kelly per se, they do offer other RN fleet destroyers, and their direct order price is only $84.00. So the Great Models website price is a very inflated price, nearly 150% greater than ordering directly from WEM, and nearly 200% greater than ordering a similar ship from Commanders.

As for those that use photoetch as opposed to those that do not, that doesn't matter in my opinion. I'm sure that there are modelers who buy resin kits that don't use the photoetch. Neither type of modeler is better or worse. However, there seems to be a caste system between resin and plastic in that some modelers think of the others as being inferior or superior, to which I say that's a waste of effort. True that this sort of medium is unable to convey subtleties, but not when a person expresses a form of this superiority (or purist) belief. If you don't like photoetch, big deal. If you do like photoetch, big deal. That doesn't matter. But, to realistically compare the price of a resin kit to a plastic kit, except in cases like yours, it's only correct to include the price of a photoetch sheet with the plastic kit to get an equivalency.

Finally, the assuption that more plastic kits ARE going to come is a misnomer in and of itself. In the late 1990's, the assumption was made by modelers that a lot of the resin armor models were going to be made by the small plastic companies in Eastern Europe. Today, those plastic companies are gone, and the resin armor kits that they assumed were going to be made are gone also. Remember, there was a global recession in the latter years of the 1990's which caused these plastic companies not to release kits (i.e. the ICM Hood being a relevant example). True that Trumpeter later release a Hood kit, but where is the company ICM? If you can get an inexpensive kit that satisfies your desire, more power to you. However, assuming that a company will do D because it did A is a stretch. For example, whatever happened to the Trumpeter Indianapolis that was rumored to be coming shortly, not to mentioned the DML Angle Deck Essex?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 11:50 AM UTC
My 2 cents.. I have done resin conversions and a full bore resin kit. Sorry but i for one will tend to avoid the medium. The small parts are extremely fragile and crumble often with little pressure. You generally have to glue and hold the piece in place as unlike all plastic there are no slots. Getting exact placement looking at diagrams frequently goes awry. And the large pieces almost invariably need the casting block sanded off which can lead to mismatched pieces. So yes an investment in over $100 is a lot for a very difficult kit. If you just absolutly have to have a certain ship you are right, especially with British DD's and maybe even cruisers, you may not get a 350 scale kit without doing it in resin. Trumpeter is especially bad abut announcing and then taking twice as long to release as thought. I waited 6 months after planned release for my Nimitz, but she now sits there on my cabinet all huge and detailed. Same with the San Francisco. And then there was the Richelieau. POP there she was. 6 years ago I had a top 5 list of 350 ships I craved. 3 out of 5 of those are sitting in my stash and a fourth has been told to me by Trumpeter high ups to be in the molding process with planned release of late next year. My dear friend Rodger (halfyank) screeched for years about new and improved M3 and M4 US Halftracks and just one cruiser. NOw look.

The point of all this verbosity is this. The majority would rather not fool with resin for wahtever reason. NO justification is going to change their minds. NOt all PE is outrageously priced. You can get sets of railings for around $10 I got a set of Japanese cruiser fittings that will cover 3 of the kits i have for $25 and add another $10 for a railing set. and that is less than $20 a kit. I'm one fo the guys that has dropped over $400 on the Akagi what with superduper PE, wooden deck and airwing. But won't spend a fourth of the money to get a resin kit.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The point of all this verbosity is this. The majority would rather not fool with resin for wahtever reason. NO justification is going to change their minds. NOt all PE is outrageously priced. You can get sets of railings for around $10 I got a set of Japanese cruiser fittings that will cover 3 of the kits i have for $25 and add another $10 for a railing set. and that is less than $20 a kit. I'm one fo the guys that has dropped over $400 on the Akagi what with superduper PE, wooden deck and airwing. But won't spend a fourth of the money to get a resin kit.

It's a shame that you had a bad experience with a single resin kit that has caused you to have this opinion. I don't fault you for your beliefs, but your assumption that resin is a brittle, unforgiving medium seems to be a result of a poor kit. For all the problems that resin has, it does provide the modeler with a far greater selection than the few kits that appear in plastic. And, as I said before, all of the western ships released by Trumpeter have their genesis in those resin kits made by small companies.

As a correction, my discussion with Halfyank about photoetch had nothing to do with price. There are many different sets a modeler can choose from ranging from gold plated to bare bones. This being said, once those sets dedicated to a certain plastic kit are factored into the modeler's choice (the DML Gearing kit and the GMM Gearing set for example), the price of those two items together create a combined kit with a price no different from a resin kit.

Finally, I'm not trying to justify anyone's decision to buy, or not to buy, a resin kit. That is the modeler's decision. And, once that decision is made, nobody has the right to question that decision. However, when individual points of contention are made in order to justify a blanket condemnation of a type of kit, whether it be plastic, resin, wood, or paper, that is wrong. All resin kits are not what you experienced with one, just as all plastic kits are what I experienced with a Revell Ark Royal kit. All plastic kits are not flash-ridden, half formed injection globs with so many malformed parts that neither the aircraft carrier nor the Tribal-class destroyer could not be built due to lack of parts. To make that blanket argument is just as untendable as saying all resin kits can't be built due to casting block and brittle, crumbling parts.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
I am not condemming resin. i built my kit and was extreemly proud of what i had accomplished. I am skilled enugh to fabriacte and sharp enough to extrapolate where parts go. I found the kit very challenging, and I still have a couple of conversions in the stash, so I don't fear it. But I believe that with the big surge of interest in this scale that a lot of things are going to come out. i was into 700 back in the mid 70's and am stunned by how much more has been released since I did it. I think most of the capital ships will be released one just hs to be patient. I don't do much RN nor do I list much in my want list. I have the three big ones KGV< Hood, and Repulse and would like to see a Warspite and Nelson, but can wait. Just like I'll wait for a Baltimore. I just don't adhere to the credo....I want it all and I want it now !! that has permeated our society. I am "anything worth getting is worth waiting for" mentality. NOw the kits i saw assuming they are full hull might spark a future interest , and if they release more and keep prices like that I might venture out and buy one, but I've still got 6 BB's 3 AC's and 4 HC's (with 2 more on preorder) to build. So yes, I can wait for quite a while. Oh and I have about 30 tanks to buld as well.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
I got a chance to take a look at the new resin Ajax by Commanders/Iron Shipwright at the IPMS/USA National Convention last week. It's really, really nice kit. Best casting I've seen on an Commanders/ISW hull. The smaller parts looked good as well. The ISW Bellepheron (sp?) and Aurora (WW1 cruiser) are equally nice. It really looks like Commanders has really stepped up their quality.

_GOTOTOP